JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   Finances.. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2687842-finances.html)

Social Halfwit October 23rd, 2013 04:04 PM

Finances..

I just met with my first home birth midwife, and she confirmed that I would be an excellent candidate based on what I told her. :yellowcheer: Unfortunately, she is not covered by state insurance, which is what I have, so we would have to pay the full fee. It isn't totally un-doable, but it would be a bit of a stretch. DF knows this is important to me and is willing to do it.

First question... has anyone had any luck telling family/friends to donate to a "home birth fund" instead of buying lots of baby stuff? I'm considering doing this.. it's DF's first baby so I'm sure his family will want to give us lots of things, but we have no need/room for things, but we could really use less financial strain if we are paying for a home birth.

Second question... in discussing this meeting with my mom, she mentioned that when I had my first son, the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. I had no idea that happened, no one ever told me before, so I didn't mention this to her because I wasn't aware of it. Is that something that would make me a less ideal candidate for a home birth? My second son didn't have any issues like that, so I'm thinking it's probably just one of those things that if thrown at her, she could deal with it effectively. Obviously the hospital Dr. dealt with it fine, because my son is 7 years old with no issues.

Kelllilee October 23rd, 2013 10:32 PM

Re: Finances..

Having the cord around the neck is really common, somewhere around 25% or more. MOST of the time it's not a problem, the cord is just unlooped or cut if it's too tight. Midwives know how to handle it. If the cord is compressed during labor it generally results in heart decelerations and most midwives will listen to the heartbeat during a contraction to check for that.

I haven't ever asked for monetary help paying for a home birth so I'm not sure how that would go over...

therevslady October 24th, 2013 05:01 AM

I agree, the cord looped around the neck is very common, not an issue. Around here NO insurances pay for homebirth. That is very uncommon in Ga. Lots of people raise money for the midwives fund around here. I did it. I did it through blogging during my pregnancy and giving updates. I raised $1500.

NinjaCakes October 30th, 2013 09:07 PM

I think fundraising is a great idea, especially if you don't have a need for baby things. Go for it! :)

B also had the cord around her neck and she was just fine, as soon as her head came out they unwrapped it and all continued on. I was born dead because of the cord and as you can see I'm alive and well!

Earthy.Mama November 9th, 2013 04:26 PM

Starting a fund... what a great idea! The thought of paying OOP for my MW again is killing me :( LOL!

therevslady November 15th, 2013 05:20 AM

I just went to a blessingway recently where the women who organized it passed around a jar for collecting money to go toward the midwife. It was very thoughtful and and I hope it put a dent in their bill!

TiggersMommy November 18th, 2013 08:53 AM

A HB fund is a GREAT idea!

Ditto what the other ladies said about the cord.