JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Childbirth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/)
-   -   How far for a homebirth? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f257-natural-childbirth/2702986-how-far-for-homebirth.html)

crunchywannabe January 12th, 2014 07:38 PM

How far for a homebirth?

First of all, I'm not expecting.... but the sight of a newborn no longer causes me great stress and anxiety... (that only took about 6 months pp!)

My first was an *almost* natural, midwife attended, hospital birth. And most things went well. (I used the gas for relief while pushing, and I had a small hemorrhage.

If the hemorrhage doesn't rule me out for midwifery care in the future, it would be my dream to have a homebirth. (I'd like to rent/buy a tub for a water birth-not an option at the hospital)

What I am wondering is, how far from the hospital, would you have to be to no longer feel comfortable having a homebirth? I know my midwives mentioned a limit, but I don't remember what that was? We live very rurally, so this might be my only obstacle. I really feel the need to prepare mentally for and accept this now, even if there are years before baby #2!

Earthy.Mama January 13th, 2014 07:38 AM

Re: How far for a homebirth?

EDIT *** My bad, I thought you asked how far away for a MW, not a hospital.

With dd2 the hospital was about 15ish minutes away. With this one the hospital we'd be going to is 1 hr away, there is one 30min away but they don't have an OB so they would xfer to the 1hr away hospital. There is another one that is 20min away but that is in another state. I'm using an Arkansas MW, but I live in MO and the 20min hospital is in Oklahoma. I would rather not deal with the paperwork :lol:

There are MWs I've looked into that are 1 - 2 hours away.

I've been reading a lot of birth stories where 2-3 hours away happens quite often.

I was kinda iffy on the 2hrs, it's up to your own comfort and how fast you labor etc..

ashj_1218 January 13th, 2014 09:59 AM

The home birth midwife I contacted when I was preggo preferred to be within 45 minutes of a hospital. I personally would probably want to be even closer. But that wasn't our issue, we are 5 minutes from a hospital (just not my first choice, but still workable).

I do think that most transfers aren't emergent. But it would, however, be a comfort level issue. Clearly if you are being transferred, you are going to be in active labor and riding an hour + in the car might not be your cup of tea.

I think it's something to certainly ask your home birth midwives. I think each probably has their own comfort level based on experience.

ETA: I also think that a home birth midwife who works in the city would feel more comfortable being closer (since its more common to be) and one who is used to rural living might be more comfortable with more distance. Just because of what they are used to working with, ya know.

Earthy.Mama January 13th, 2014 05:35 PM

I edited my response, sorry lol