JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   New here and a little flustered... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/1677430-new-here-and-little-flustered.html)

rubyredslipperz August 20th, 2009 10:16 AM

New here and a little flustered...

Hello. I was recommended to come over here from the fertility charting board. my DH and I arent ready to TTC yet but I'd prefer to prevent things the natural way. We've been married for almost 7 months and havent used anything repetitively. Neither of us like condoms and so we've primarily just been using W/D. Anyways I am supposed to go to the dr soon and we both kind of agreed to do something more stable I guess you could say. I ran across NFP and I really liked the idea of doing things the natural way, not having to take a pill and put excess hormones into my body. Plus I am a religious person, and I believe that when it's God's time for us to have a baby no BCP will stop it, so I'd rather not have that in my body if his timing is sooner than ours... Anyways, I explained it a little to my DH yesterday and he seemed skeptical, he said if it works then sure. But then went on to suggest that I just get an IUD so I wont have to deal with hormones, taking a pill everyday, and wouldnt have the hassle of charting and temp taking... grr! I personally dont like them, I think it just takes the whole spontanaety out of having a baby, you have to PLAN strictly and if I were to get pg with and IUD I dont think it would end well... Anyways I'm just frustrated and wondering how I can explain this to where he would be open to it. IDK if he just doesnt have that much faith in me getting it right or if he just wants something more solid... Anyways just thought I'd introduce myself and any advice would be much appreciated.

ShawnaCAN August 20th, 2009 01:49 PM

Re: New here and a little flustered...

Welcome!!!

Lots of guys are skeptical at first (heck, lots of women are too!) I would highly recommend having him attend an NFP class with you, so he can see the science of it for himself. Ask him if he'd be willing to do that so you can make this decision with ALL the accurate information about it. Taking the class doesn't mean you have to commit to NFP, it can just be part of the research you do before making up your minds. To be confident with NFP, it's really important to learn it thoroughly anyway and that's something couples should do together. The information will be useful to you because you can use it both ways, to avoid or to achieve pregnancy when you are ready.

Also, does your DH know that the IUD causes early miscarriages? It doesn't just prevent pregnancy, but it also interrupts pregnancy if conception happens to occur. It irritates the lining of the uterus so that the baby can't implant and is flushed out with your next period. Is he ok with that? That's something you should be sure to discuss.

SavaAngel August 20th, 2009 03:51 PM

Welcome! I can't offer anymore than Shawna has. My DH was skeptical too, but a year later he was proven that it can work to avoid.

rubyredslipperz August 20th, 2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN (Post 17020955)
Welcome!!!

Lots of guys are skeptical at first (heck, lots of women are too!) I would highly recommend having him attend an NFP class with you, so he can see the science of it for himself. Ask him if he'd be willing to do that so you can make this decision with ALL the accurate information about it. Taking the class doesn't mean you have to commit to NFP, it can just be part of the research you do before making up your minds. To be confident with NFP, it's really important to learn it thoroughly anyway and that's something couples should do together. The information will be useful to you because you can use it both ways, to avoid or to achieve pregnancy when you are ready.

Also, does your DH know that the IUD causes early miscarriages? It doesn't just prevent pregnancy, but it also interrupts pregnancy if conception happens to occur. It irritates the lining of the uterus so that the baby can't implant and is flushed out with your next period. Is he ok with that? That's something you should be sure to discuss.

That's a big reason why I'm against an IUD is because of that! Lots of medical ppl say it just irritates the sperm but I knew better! My best friend in high school, her mom got pg with an IUD so it's not impossible.. I'll have to see if we have any classes in our area (we live in a small town) but at the least get both of us educated on it!

benandali August 20th, 2009 07:52 PM

Hi! I just recently started using NFP. It's going GREAT so far! I use the Billings Method so NO temping involved. Just charting every evening is all. It's been fantastic and my husband and I have honestly had a closer relationship than we have had in about 2 years!!! There's just no stress involved with it at all. :)

LJD3Tdance August 20th, 2009 08:40 PM

Welcome, NFP is really wonderful!

ShawnaCAN August 21st, 2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleofdanielseye (Post 17022988)
I'll have to see if we have any classes in our area (we live in a small town) but at the least get both of us educated on it!

If you need any help with that, don't hesitate to PM me. I can see what's in your area.

rubyredslipperz August 24th, 2009 10:20 AM

Thanks so much ladies for the advice! I will look into both methods of NFP! Your advice and support has helped so much! :o)

ShawnaCAN September 6th, 2009 02:25 PM

Hey, just wondering how you are doing! How is the decision making process going?