JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   Questions.... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/1742541-questions.html)

Neads October 18th, 2009 11:26 PM

Questions....

I have never temped or charted but have been thinking about it and was wondering if some of you ladies could give me some info! :D

I am breastfeeding (6 months now) and most nights I am up at least every 3 hours with Natalie. And a lot of times even when she is sleeping I'm laying in bed unable to sleep. My sleep is rare and random. I read that it's important to get several hours of sleep before testing and to test at the same time. What do I do when several hours isn't an option? I also hate to set an alarm to make sure I wake up at the exact same time every day because with my sleep being so messed up as it is I don't want to interrupt the little I do get.

Another question... I know cervical checking is not required, but I have always checked it now and then to get an idea where I'm at in my cycle. I have not had af yet since having Natalie but have had some spotting and a lot of random heavy cervical mucous. Is it normal to be super high, soft, and open considering no af yet? I don't have anything to compare to since I haven't been checking since Natalie was born. I don't know if I just so happen to be ovulating, if it's breastfeeding related, or if this is just the way the "new me" feels after having a baby?

Thanks for anyone who has any input! I'm looking forward to learning more about this!

ShawnaCAN October 19th, 2009 08:20 AM

Re: Questions....

Welcome!

First of all, for the temps you can two options. You can skip temping altogether and go with a mucus only method (they are listed in the Resource Sticky). Or just do your best to temp as close to the same time every morning and you should still see a pattern when ovulation finally occurs.

The post partum return of fertility can be a little challenging, in that your body might gear up to ovulate multiple times before you actually go through with it. That is likely what was happening each time you've noticed episodes of cervical mucus and a high,soft,open cervix. It's possible to ovulate before you get your first AF and the chance of that also rises now that you're past the 6 month mark too.

Are you at all interested in working with a teacher so you have someone to coach you through post partum charting step by step?

Neads October 19th, 2009 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info! That helps a lot!

So if go with the temp route, would I be able to get accurate results if I only slept for 1 hour before I took my temp? Like if I was in and out of bed all night with broken sleep and slept 1 straight hour before temping in the morning.

I'm really nervous that I will get inaccurate results or mess up somehow. It couldn't hurt to try though... right now we have been NTNP which is making me nervous because I'm not ready for a 2nd yet! I can't take hormone bc and we are horrible with condoms. I need to find a method that will work for us.

How do you get a teacher? What is required? Does it cost something?

ShawnaCAN October 19th, 2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neads (Post 17678974)
Thanks for the info! That helps a lot!

So if go with the temp route, would I be able to get accurate results if I only slept for 1 hour before I took my temp? Like if I was in and out of bed all night with broken sleep and slept 1 straight hour before temping in the morning.

The only way to know is to try it and just see if 1 hour is enough to see a thermal shift. It could still be some time before you ovulate though and temps only tell you after the fact that ovulation has occurred. In the meantime, it will be really important to understand your cervical mucus because that's the signal that tells you whether you're fertile or infertile each day.

Quote:

I'm really nervous that I will get inaccurate results or mess up somehow. It couldn't hurt to try though... right now we have been NTNP which is making me nervous because I'm not ready for a 2nd yet! I can't take hormone bc and we are horrible with condoms. I need to find a method that will work for us.

If you're nervous and it's really important for you to avoid pregnancy right now, then I highly recommend learning a clinically verified method of NFP from a teacher. It's not impossible to teach yourself, but it's a lot harder that way and the pregnancy rate is higher for couples who are self-taught.

Quote:

How do you get a teacher? What is required? Does it cost something?

It all depends on which method of NFP you want to learn. You can check through the Resource Sticky to learn about the different kinds. There are online courses and a few of the ladies here have done them. There are also live classes and home study courses. Ladies here have done those too. You could also PM me your location and I can check to see what options exist in your area.

There is usually a one time fee for training, but most NFP teachers will waive their fee if you can't afford it. They'll just charge for the materials. The fees and cost of materials are different depending on which method it is.

benandali October 19th, 2009 02:46 PM

Hi! I am learning the BOM through an online course. I have a 4 1/2 month old and am also breastfeeding. BOM is great for me breastfeeding because it does not require temps or internal checking or anything like that. Just noting CM and sensation and that's all!
Having an instructor has been soooo helpful and crucial! Hope you find a method that works for you! :)

LJD3Tdance October 21st, 2009 10:04 AM

Welcome to the board, I think Shawna covered all your questions so I'll just leave it there!

ShawnaCAN October 26th, 2009 01:16 PM

How are you doing?

Neads November 3rd, 2009 05:59 PM

I haven't had a chance to look into things yet. My first PP period started this week so I am thinking that it would be a good time to start temping. I think for now I will just experiment. I'll try to temp around the same time every morning as best I can and see if it gives me good enough results. I informed dh that we need to try to do better about using condoms until I feel comfortable enough with this new method.

Is there a website anyone recommends that helps organize and keep up with temp info?

LJD3Tdance November 3rd, 2009 07:25 PM

If all you are doing is temping that won't tell you that you are going to ovulate, only that you did ovulate, and so it won't help you prevent actually...I don't recommend fertility friend, they're always wrong on when I ovulate anyway, and since you are breastfeeding you would have the same issue quite possibly.

ShawnaCAN November 3rd, 2009 08:34 PM

CyclePro and Ovusoft are both good programs for temping.

Neads November 5th, 2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance (Post 17857210)
If all you are doing is temping that won't tell you that you are going to ovulate, only that you did ovulate, and so it won't help you prevent actually...I don't recommend fertility friend, they're always wrong on when I ovulate anyway, and since you are breastfeeding you would have the same issue quite possibly.

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there was so much to this. I don't think I would trust a computer to tell me when I ovulate anyways. Things like that seem to be inaccurate when I use them. I'm just interested in a website that I can type my temps into and it will make a chart. I guess I could always make my own chart in Excel.

ShawnaCAN November 5th, 2009 07:56 AM

Oh there are lots, just google BBT charting.

Oh there are lots, just google BBT chart.