JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   CM question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2358630-cm-question.html)

IAmMomMomIAm June 25th, 2011 09:09 PM

CM question

Obviously this is going to be TMI - sorry!

I just got my period back from breast feeding - my most recent period was my second so far. My last cycle was 43 days, and I ovulated on day 30.

Today is CD16. I usually check internally to chart my CM and have always had an accurate result. But the last few days have thrown me for a loop.

1) There's a lot of CM. Way more than usual.
2) When I (ahem) wipe after using the restroom, there is CM on the TP that looks like EWCM. It's milky colored and very stretchy. BUT when I check internally, I get a creamy result. on CD13 I thought I could write down "wet" based on the toilet paper, but again - internally it was creamy.

Which is it? We are TTA, and I know the default answer is "avoid if you don't want to get pregnant and you're not sure" - which is a fairly obvious conclusion that I came to on my own. I just want to know what my cycle is doing, and I'm a bit confused.

Sk8ermaiden June 25th, 2011 10:57 PM

Re: CM question

ALWAYS chart your most fertile CF. At least that's the rule I live by.

benandali June 26th, 2011 08:41 AM

Yup. You chart your most fertile sign. But the look of the discharge shouldn't effect the sensation...like you were saying you wanted to chart "wet" but the discharge was creamy. If you felt wet, chart wet. And then chart the look.

That is one of the reasons I use BOM. No internal investigation...only what you feel and see. So if it were me I would be charting: wet, milky, EW.

IAmMomMomIAm June 26th, 2011 09:35 AM

That's what I've been doing. Thanks, ladies!

ShawnaCAN June 26th, 2011 10:03 PM

What you find internally and what you find externally are supposed to be different, because the CM goes through important changes as it moves from the inside to the outside over glands called the Pockets of Shaw. The Pockets of Shaw change the CM in response to your hormones. SO...the bottom line is that you should really just stick with one way of checking CM to reduce the confusion. The most accurate way is external sensation. And like the others said, go with the most fertile observation of the day, not the most frequent.

MauMama June 26th, 2011 10:19 PM

I was also taught to go with the most fertile and to stick with only 1 method of checking. I always go with what's on the loo paper as I don't want to introduce bacteria by checking internally.

I also go with 5 dry days vs the 3 some books say. I find 5 dry days really helps stay away from O.

I think the first few cycles of PPAF can be really confusing because your hormones are working overtime trying to get back to normal.

LJD3Tdance June 26th, 2011 10:55 PM

Hey Kes, nice to see you back here. I think these ladies have covered it though.

K.A.T June 27th, 2011 07:07 AM

Hey Kes! How are you?

IAmMomMomIAm June 28th, 2011 07:49 AM

I always check internally, and record those results. But I was really confused by what I was finding before I got to check internally. :p so I just recorded both results on my make-shift calendar (I don't really CHART, just keep track. I find charts too confusing to my eyes) until I sorted things out. I did not 100% abstain from "activities" though so we'll see what happens, I guess! lol The mixed signals have stopped, and I'm 98% certain that I am now "officially" in my fertile window.

I've noticed before that it was a bit different on the paper then internally, but I've never had it be THIS different - least fertile signs internally, most fertile signs externally. PP cycles suck.

ShawnaCAN June 28th, 2011 07:52 AM

Are you at all interested in having an instructor coach you through the guidelines for PP charting, so it's not as confusing?

IAmMomMomIAm June 28th, 2011 01:09 PM

I've looked into it, and all the options are too expensive for our budget at the moment. So far my version of charting hasn't failed me. It involves a calendar, a pen, and three high lighters. :p

This is the first month I've encountered in the last four years of FAM that I've ever been confused by my CM results. However, for a good portion of those four years I was pregnant or breast feeding. :p This is my first time coming back to fertility from breast feeding, too. All my other PP cycles were normal, including last month. This month is just screwy.

ShawnaCAN June 28th, 2011 04:02 PM

Oh ok! Well just in case you ever want some extra assistance, you can keep in mind that most charting instructors will waive the fees if finances are tight. All you have to do is let them know your situation.

IAmMomMomIAm June 28th, 2011 05:13 PM

Oh, that's neat.. maybe I will have to talk to them about it. Thank you!

LJD3Tdance June 29th, 2011 09:47 PM

They waved most of the fees for me for example :)