JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   FAM ladies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2423693-fam-ladies.html)

LJD3Tdance September 30th, 2011 11:20 AM

FAM ladies

So I was on wiki and this is one thing it said about FAM...advantages and disadvantages...do you agree or disagree:

Advantages

• There are no drug-related side effects to FA. Side effects may occur from inserting fingers into the vagina for cervical observation (as some FA methods recommend).
  • FA can be free or very low up front cost. Users may buy a chart, calendar, basal thermometer, or software, or employ a coach. The direct costs are low when compared to other methods.
  • FA can be used with barrier contraception so that intercourse may continue through the fertile period. Unlike barrier use without FA, practicing FA can allow couples to use barrier contraception only when necessary.
  • FA can be used to immediately switch from pregnancy avoidance to pregnancy planning when the woman decides it is time to plan for conception.
[edit] Disadvantages

• Use of a barrier or other backup method is required on fertile days, otherwise the couple must abstain. To reduce pregnancy risk to below 1% per year, there are an average of 13 days where abstinence or backup must be used during each cycle.[28] For women with very irregular cycles such as those common during breastfeeding, perimenopause, or with hormonal diseases such as PCOS - abstinence or the use of barriers may be required for months at a time.
  • Higher failure cost than many methods. Typical use effectiveness is lower than most other methods thus the cost for failures is higher than for most methods.[29]
  • Fertility awareness does not protect against sexually transmitted disease.[30]

K.A.T September 30th, 2011 11:23 AM

Re: FAM ladies

I would have to agree.

geogeek September 30th, 2011 11:31 AM

I am honestly confused about the "higher failure cost" disadvantage, but I would agree with the rest.

K.A.T September 30th, 2011 11:55 AM

I think it means that it's a higher failure due to a probable resulting pregnancy and the cost of either raising a child or having an abortion. With BC the failure rate would be much lower and there could also be spermicide involved that would hinder the conception process. So one would only really be out the cost of the birth control itself, if spermicide was used in the method of choice.

Sk8ermaiden September 30th, 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance (Post 24936105)
So I was on wiki and this is one thing it said about FAM...advantages and disadvantages...do you agree or disagree:

Advantages

• There are no drug-related side effects to FA. Side effects may occur from inserting fingers into the vagina for cervical observation (as some FA methods recommend).
  • FA can be free or very low up front cost. Users may buy a chart, calendar, basal thermometer, or software, or employ a coach. The direct costs are low when compared to other methods.
  • FA can be used with barrier contraception so that intercourse may continue through the fertile period. Unlike barrier use without FA, practicing FA can allow couples to use barrier contraception only when necessary.
  • FA can be used to immediately switch from pregnancy avoidance to pregnancy planning when the woman decides it is time to plan for conception.
[edit] Disadvantages

• Use of a barrier or other backup method is required on fertile days, otherwise the couple must abstain. To reduce pregnancy risk to below 1% per year, there are an average of 13 days where abstinence or backup must be used during each cycle.[28] For women with very irregular cycles such as those common during breastfeeding, perimenopause, or with hormonal diseases such as PCOS - abstinence or the use of barriers may be required for months at a time.
  • Higher failure cost than many methods. Typical use effectiveness is lower than most other methods thus the cost for failures is higher than for most methods.[29]
  • Fertility awareness does not protect against sexually transmitted disease.[30]

I didn't think any methods acutally *recommended* checking CM internally. I mean, it's certainly listed as an option.

13 days with backup seems extraordinarily long. I would think it would be 10 AT MOST for most people.

For women with very irregular cycles such as those common during breastfeeding, perimenopause, or with hormonal diseases such as PCOS - abstinence or the use of barriers may be required for months at a time.
YUP!!!!! This is the biggest reason we don't do NFP. We'd never have sex.

I also don't buy the bit about the effectiveness. It has similar perfect use and typical use to condoms.

LJD3Tdance October 1st, 2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.A.T (Post 24936361)
I think it means that it's a higher failure due to a probable resulting pregnancy and the cost of either raising a child or having an abortion. With BC the failure rate would be much lower and there could also be spermicide involved that would hinder the conception process. So one would only really be out the cost of the birth control itself, if spermicide was used in the method of choice.

I was under the impression the failure rates were pretty similar actually.

HippyMomOf4 October 2nd, 2011 09:08 AM

Right now we are using FAM and its kinda a pain because my cycles are not normal because i'm EBF. So we have either been not having sex much or using condoms just in case. Once my cycles are back to normal we will use NFP and no more condoms. But i would have to agree with what you wrote.

ShawnaCAN October 2nd, 2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden (Post 24936813)
13 days with backup seems extraordinarily long. I would think it would be 10 AT MOST for most people.

I think it's important not to make guesstimates about the average number of fertile days, because every woman is so different. And every cycle is so different! 13 days seems pretty average for some women, to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden (Post 24936813)
For women with very irregular cycles such as those common during breastfeeding, perimenopause, or with hormonal diseases such as PCOS - abstinence or the use of barriers may be required for months at a time. YUP!!!!! This is the biggest reason we don't do NFP. We'd never have sex.

I would agree with that, because TCOYF or FAM is geared more towards regular cycles. It's not an accurate comparison to think that's how all methods of NFP are though. There are so many types of NFP, some are similar to TCOYF and some are very different! TCOYF just doesn't get into a lot of detail about how to recognize the infertile days during longer cycles (or non cyles, like when BFing). There's no need, cuz you can just use a barrier when things are weird. With some NFP methods, there's more emphasis on teaching women to navigate every kind of irregularity so that you don't have to resort to prolonged abstinence.

I have PCOS and we used an NFP method called Serena for awhile. The method was pretty similar to what's taught in TCOYF, so a lot of abstinence was required. So we tried 2 other types of NFP, and there was much less abstinence required for those. The guidelines were very different. Instead of being fixated on the event of ovulation, they taught me to read my body day by day. Is today fertile or infertile? Sometimes I ovulate really late in the cycle or not at all, but that doesn't mean we have to abstain the whole time. There are usually a lot of infertile days along the way, which we are free to enjoy. We were able to follow the same guidelines while BFing, so every day I knew if we were potentially fertile or not. No regularity necessary!