JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   Daughters (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2435244-daughters.html)

ShawnaCAN October 20th, 2011 10:25 PM

Daughters

If you have daughters, how much do you hope to share with them about a woman's fertility?

Everything you know?
Whatever is relevant at different stages of her reproductive life?
Not much, let the school handle it.
None?

K.A.T October 21st, 2011 12:09 PM

Re: Daughters

I would like to say everything I know I would share with her. Especially since she has graves disease. I want her to be as knowledgeable as possible when she's ready for a family.

geogeek October 21st, 2011 01:01 PM

Everything at appropriate stages. When she gets engaged she will get the birth control talk if we haven't had it already.

Sk8ermaiden October 21st, 2011 01:17 PM

Everything, but in stages. By the time she's 17 or 18 I'll have told her everything I know for sure. Earlier if she's interested and asking about it.

MeggysMommy October 21st, 2011 03:19 PM

Stages for sure and I also hope as she gets older and asks about it.

jhmomofmany October 21st, 2011 08:21 PM

We also have had bits and pieces of "the talk" in incremental stages as she has gotten older. She doesn't go to school, so it's all up to me and the library. :)

HippyMomOf4 October 26th, 2011 10:04 AM

Everything at the appropriate age:)

plan4fate October 26th, 2011 02:31 PM

Absolutely everything I know. And there is no set age for giving answers. I'll be creative and age appropriate, but I'm not going to lie. There will be no "the stork brings babies!" in my house.

My mom was very open and honest with me. I learned most of it on my own because I was an early reader and mom didn't move a few choice books to higher shelves in time (yeah, I'm a nerd, I'd get up at 4 and read books rather than watch tv in the morning). She started the birth control and std sex talks around 12 (which is when sex ed started in school), and kept the lines of communication open as I grew up.

There wasn't anything I was afraid to tell my mother until I got pregnant in my 20's.. for some reason that was crazy hard. I hope any girls we have will be that way with me. There will be no judging in our house. I'm hoping they'll be semi open and honest with their father as well.

bellabri287 October 27th, 2011 01:51 PM

As soon as its pertinent. But I will tell her everything, I won't lie or make up silly stories.

I just started reading TCOYF and wow, they need to teach this senior year in HS. Seriously, I'm learning so much and am only 5 chapters in! I didn't know how much I didn't know about my own body. My future daughter will read this book when shes married or in a long term relationship.

I guess that's where it gets scary. I wouldn't want to teach this to a teen for fear they would use this to prevent pregnancy and completely ignore condoms to prevent STD's which is a whole different issue!

Sk8ermaiden October 27th, 2011 05:37 PM

Tori, the author or TCOYF, has a book just for teens called Cycle Savvy. That is sooo going to be on our bookshelf.

LJD3Tdance November 8th, 2011 04:01 PM

I guess everything, at stages. Nothing much so far, more later.