JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   Does it run in the family? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2476016-does-run-family.html)

LJD3Tdance January 16th, 2012 04:58 AM

Does it run in the family?

Do other family members use NFP/FAM?

breathing for two January 16th, 2012 06:52 AM

Re: Does it run in the family?

My mom used FAM a long time ago, and not very well. She clucked her tongue at me when I told her I was using it, since it was what she was using when my youngest brother was conceived.
Then I found out she never charted and only casually paid attention to what was going on, and occasionally ignored it anyway. So once I explained things to her she stopped being critical.

rlh27 January 16th, 2012 07:51 AM

My grandmother used the good ole rhythm method... and got pregnant 12 times. :eek:When mom found out we were using FAM she told me I was crazy. And when I told her it was my OBGYN that first recommended it and got me in contact with an instructor, she told me to find another OBGYN. I couldn't convince her that the world of NFP/FAM is not the same as it was in grandma's time. :rolleyes: I have talked to my sister about it, and I think she'll use it when she gets married.

Shades of Grey January 16th, 2012 08:09 AM

My cousin has in the past. She is preggo now, wasnt charting for a while there ;)

2Corinthians10:4 January 16th, 2012 08:50 AM

My cousin uses it and so does my cousin in-law (Dh's cousins wife lol), but I was the first. They both actually started using it after I referred them to it and told them about TCOYF. It helped my cousin in-law get pregnant on her first cycle and my other cousin is using it to TTA now but will start using it to TTC after her wedding in June.

Niamh ૐ January 16th, 2012 09:39 AM

Nope. As far as I know, no one in my family used NFP/FAM. That said, my mom was against me going on hormonal birth control when I was a teen (and not because I was a teen... that wasn't the issue) because she didn't really believe in the BCP. She believes the BCP contributed to her getting a mild form of cervical cancer in her early 20's (which is gone now). However, despite being against HBC, I don't think she knew a thing about natural methods. I think she just hoped I'd use condoms, lol.

No one else in my family has said a thing to me about what method of birth control they use or used.

ShawnaCAN January 16th, 2012 10:15 AM

My Mom sort of followed the Rhythm Method, both for TTC and TTA. It didn't work too well for TTA. LOL

Both of my sisters use NFP.

jhmomofmany January 16th, 2012 10:52 AM

nobody in our families that we know of.

LJD3Tdance January 16th, 2012 11:17 AM

What I know is my mom used it to TTC, and then she didn't ever use birth control, she was just always letting nature take its course, after the TTC that is. I have no siblings, so not there though.

geogeek January 16th, 2012 02:36 PM

Nope. I have tried to enlighten them to no avail. They still think I am crazy after 3 years using it successfully for both TTA and TTC.

plan4fate January 16th, 2012 02:59 PM

Nope I'm the only one. I will sit down with the younger girls when the time comes and explain it out... hopefully before their mother shoves them on the pill. I'll explain it to my family this summer, since they've all asked what we're doing now that we're not on the pill. Part of me wants to not get prego so I can say "look it works" rather than "well it works if you follow the rules, if you don't *point to bump* no so much."

MeggysMommy January 16th, 2012 06:07 PM

No one uses it that I know of, before I found this board and JM I hadn't even really heard of it.

HeartHelloKitty January 16th, 2012 07:55 PM

Nope. I learned about it from a friend who was using tcoyf to ttc. I used it for that as well and now am using FAM tta. :)

LJD3Tdance January 16th, 2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ (Post 25478188)
Nope I'm the only one. I will sit down with the younger girls when the time comes and explain it out... hopefully before their mother shoves them on the pill. I'll explain it to my family this summer, since they've all asked what we're doing now that we're not on the pill. Part of me wants to not get prego so I can say "look it works" rather than "well it works if you follow the rules, if you don't *point to bump* no so much."

Yeah, I get my chance to show them how it works now that we're going to be done :lol:

bellabri287 January 17th, 2012 09:00 PM

im the only one. my mom charted when TTC, got PG and miscarried at 3mos, took a break and conceived me on vacation.

Lenas Mama January 10th, 2014 03:44 AM

my mother in law took the calendar method,.their 4 daughters also use the calendar method.