JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   LAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2537539-lam.html)

LJD3Tdance June 10th, 2012 05:10 PM

LAM

So since I'm hoping I can use LAM for the full 6 months for the first time, I'm hoping you can all think good thoughts for me this week cuz Terra gained 0 weight between the past two Friday's, so I'm worried they'll be stressing me to supplement if she isn't back to or above birth weight by next Friday.

jhmomofmany June 10th, 2012 05:23 PM

Re: LAM

It drives me nuts that docs and nurses pay lip service to the fact that every baby is individual and grows at his/her own rate, but as soon as there is a deviation- they blame bf'ing. If she's making the appropriate wet and dirty diapers, then you know she is getting enough milk for her needs right now, regardless of what the scale shows. I'm sure you know that, so do your best to remember that if they start putting the pressure on you. If, by chance, there is a supply issue, then the answer is to nurse more, not less. Good luck, I hope everything will go well and it won't be any problem! :heart:

plan4fate June 11th, 2012 11:06 AM

*HUGS*

I can honestly say this is one subject I would ignore my doctor on as long as I was seeing the proper amt of diapers, at least for a little while. Gaining 0 weight is a lot better than losing a lot of weight!

Babybear4 June 11th, 2012 12:37 PM

Thinking good thoughts for you! As the others stated, as long as she is making enough dirty diapers, there really isn't anything to worry about right now.

sugarloafbaby June 11th, 2012 05:05 PM

I agree with the others! I seem to have smaller babies who do not gain a lot of weight very fast, but I just nurse as much as they want (around the clock even at night- I do not sleep train); diapers and contentment is what I go by. On the standard growth chart they are always way below the 25% mark but on the breastfeeding chart they are pretty normal. If you haven't already, check out the breastfeeding board on here for tips on how to increase you supply. I know for me, I notice a difference in the days I have oatmeal, strange but true! I will be keeping you in my thoughts!

LJD3Tdance June 12th, 2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhmomofmany (Post 26148057)
It drives me nuts that docs and nurses pay lip service to the fact that every baby is individual and grows at his/her own rate, but as soon as there is a deviation- they blame bf'ing. If she's making the appropriate wet and dirty diapers, then you know she is getting enough milk for her needs right now, regardless of what the scale shows. I'm sure you know that, so do your best to remember that if they start putting the pressure on you. If, by chance, there is a supply issue, then the answer is to nurse more, not less. Good luck, I hope everything will go well and it won't be any problem! :heart:

My doc's actually really relaxed about everything, I don't know that he'll recommend supplementing, I just know I've had friends that happened to, but I also don't know he'll have to recommend anything, I'm just hoping she'll be back to what she's supposed to be by Friday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babybear4 (Post 26151393)
Thinking good thoughts for you! As the others stated, as long as she is making enough dirty diapers, there really isn't anything to worry about right now.

Yeah, that's actually kinda of what my doc said on Friday, was that she was having wet and dirty diapers so there probably wasn't anything to worry about. :)

LJD3Tdance June 12th, 2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarloafbaby (Post 26152482)
I agree with the others! I seem to have smaller babies who do not gain a lot of weight very fast, but I just nurse as much as they want (around the clock even at night- I do not sleep train); diapers and contentment is what I go by. On the standard growth chart they are always way below the 25% mark but on the breastfeeding chart they are pretty normal. If you haven't already, check out the breastfeeding board on here for tips on how to increase you supply. I know for me, I notice a difference in the days I have oatmeal, strange but true! I will be keeping you in my thoughts!

I haven't because I've always had an oversupply with my other kids at this point, so I can't believe I have a supply issue, yet. If she hasn't gained by next Friday then maybe I'll worry.

rlh27 June 13th, 2012 11:32 AM

I'm really glad you asked this. Obviously I don't have a problem supplementing if I've tried everything to get my supply up and the baby simply isn't getting enough, but I've been wondering how one actually knows if the baby isn't getting enough. I mean, this is my first so I'm clueless about a lot, but if I have a 9lb baby (not uncommon in either mine or DH's family), then is it really a big deal if baby takes time to get back to birth weight? Anyways, thanks for the tips and advice ladies. It'll help me out in a few months too :)

LJD3Tdance June 13th, 2012 03:10 PM

You know my answer to that is assume it will all go right unless you see a reason to believe it isn't going right. Breastfeeding is a natural thing where your baby should tell your body how to produce the right amount. That doesn't mean that WILL happen, but just assume it will unless you see something to point to otherwise.

HippyMomOf4 June 14th, 2012 08:11 AM

Sending you weight gain vibes!! My little dude had slow weight gain and only gained 1lbs 2 oz from 2-4 months, they wanted me to supplement and so I started block feeding and feeding more frequent. He then gained from 4-6 months like 3lbs:) I also took some things to boost my supply and that helped but I wasn't really having supply issues so it just made me able to pump and save some milk.

LJD3Tdance June 14th, 2012 12:37 PM

Tomorrow at 2:50pm is her weight check, so think fat thoughts for her :lol: