JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   LP Length (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2552516-lp-length.html)

breathing for two July 23rd, 2012 10:41 AM

LP Length

I'm curious to know how much a Luteal Phase can shorten or lengthen. I tried to find an answer in my TCOYF book, but had no luck.
I didn't temp this month, but I'm pretty sure of my peak day, and if I'm right I'm on DPO 8 with no AF in sight. I know it's a pretty short LP, but mine have been 7 days long since I got my cycles back postpartum. Is a change of 2+ days normal (especially with breastfeeding and all that goes with it), or should I assume the barrier method somehow failed this month and go and buy a test in a couple of days? Or is an LP something that is unique to every cycle?

My chart if you need the reference:
HereToDream - TCOYF

Thanks in advance!

ShawnaCAN July 23rd, 2012 10:51 AM

Re: LP Length

How many post partum cycles have you had? When PP and breastfeeding, it's normal for the LP to start off shorter and gradually get longer for the first 6 - 8 post partum cycles. But pregnancy is possible too, barriers do fail. It can go either way!

When *not* post partum/breastfeeding or recovering from hormonal contraceptives, the LP should not vary by more than a day or two. It should stay pretty consistent.

breathing for two July 23rd, 2012 11:03 AM

This is only my third postpartum cycle, so It could just be getting longer. I'm not getting the usual signs that AF is coming, which worries me slightly.
When you say gradually, is it only going to be a difference of 2, maybe 3 days, or can it be more significant with unusual hormones?

ShawnaCAN July 23rd, 2012 11:17 AM

It's usually a gradual lengthening (1-3 days longer per cycle) ...but I've seen PP/bfing charts where the LP really jumped in length from one cycle to the next too! Every post partum transition back to full fertility is different. Since this is only your third PP cycle, I would consider this entirely normal.

breathing for two July 23rd, 2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN (Post 26305340)
It's usually a gradual lengthening (1-3 days longer per cycle) ...but I've seen PP/bfing charts where the LP really jumped in length from one cycle to the next too! Every post partum transition back to full fertility is different. Since this is only your third PP cycle, I would consider this entirely normal.

That's great to know! Thank you :)

LJD3Tdance August 8th, 2012 02:26 AM

Mine lengthened like crazy one time...Idk what the official word on that would be though.