JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   Hi ladies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2557509-hi-ladies.html)

K.A.T August 4th, 2012 11:23 AM

Hi ladies

I know I dropped off of this board. Sorry I did. My life got really crazy from about April on. Anyways, I had Ethan on the 23rd and we've been ebf. *Knock on wood* that we can stay this way. My pp bleeding is slowing down. I know I don't have to worry about anything yet, especially since I don't plan on dtd for a while longer. But I'm not sure when I should start charting again. I plan on either getting the essure procedure done or a hyster (if my OB will be OK with giving me one). But until then I don't want to risk getting pg. So round about when should I start to pay attention to my body again?

ShawnaCAN August 4th, 2012 11:30 AM

Re: Hi ladies

If you are EBFing (no pumping, no supplementing) - then you don't really have to start charting until you no longer meet the conditions for breastfeeding infertility. So if you spot or bleed after 56 days post partum, if you need to replace a feed, or once you hit 6 months.

But I generally encourage women to start charting the sensation/appearance of any mucus as soon as lochia stops. You don't have to follow the TTA rules if you meet the conditions for LAM, but it's much easier to establish your Basic Infertile Pattern early...before fertility starts to return. Then when you notice changes to the BIP, that's your first warning that fertility is coming back. You can go back and forth between BIP and fertile mucus for awhile first. If you don't know what your BIP is, then you have to consider everything you observe as potentially fertile when that starts happens.

Hope that makes sense!

K.A.T August 4th, 2012 11:48 AM

I think I understand that. Basically, if I bleed or spot 56 days pp, that's a sign fertility can be returning. Same thing once it's been 6 months pp or if I start to pump and/or supplement. If none of those things have happened and my lochia stops fully, I can still try to figure out my cervical mucus to see what my bip could be like.

ShawnaCAN August 4th, 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.A.T (Post 26361221)
I think I understand that. Basically, if I bleed or spot 56 days pp, that's a sign fertility can be returning. Same thing once it's been 6 months pp or if I start to pump and/or supplement. If none of those things have happened and my lochia stops fully, I can still try to figure out my cervical mucus to see what my bip could be like.

Right! Just remember: all breast, no blood, 6 months! LOL

rlh27 August 4th, 2012 05:15 PM

Liz, Ethan is such a cutie! I was stalking the August DDC like crazy when I saw that you were in labor. Congratulations! Dang, it seems like yesterday everyone was congratulating you on your BFP.

Shawna, just to clarify for my own personal reference, it doesn't matter how often he is nursing, as long as he's not 6 months old yet, there's no bleeding after 56 days, and he is being EBF?

HippyMomOf4 August 5th, 2012 09:01 AM

Hes adorable congratulations! I watched my body's signs but didn't start charting until AF returned, and even the first couple cycles I didn't temp just charted CM. Now I"m full on charting again.

Niamh ૐ August 5th, 2012 01:14 PM

Ethan is so cute! :heart:

Personally, I'm planning to start temping within the next couple days. We'll be doing LAM... but like Shawna said, it just seems like a good idea to chart anyway. My fertility returned at only about 4 months after I had my second child (had some very light spotting), and I was glad I was charting then because after the light bleeding, I was able to catch when ovulation occurred not long after that.

I'm not planning on charting CM though until after I heal down there. :-S

K.A.T August 5th, 2012 08:25 PM

Thanks ladies.

I would love to temp, but with the erratic sleep I'm getting there is no way I can get an accurate read.

Keakie August 6th, 2012 05:51 AM

I have no advice but hi Liz! :)

Ethan is so precious. :heart:

ShawnaCAN August 12th, 2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlh27 (Post 26362009)
Shawna, just to clarify for my own personal reference, it doesn't matter how often he is nursing, as long as he's not 6 months old yet, there's no bleeding after 56 days, and he is being EBF?

That's right, sleeping a certain number of hours doesn't disqualify you from LAM as long as the 3 conditions are met. However, it might mean you notice some spotting (and therefore, are out of LAM) sooner rather than later.

LiamsMother August 12th, 2012 10:38 AM

Congratulations on the baby, Liz. He's beautiful.

Shawna,

If I'm bf and pumping but not supplementing, I'm not eligible for LAM?

ShawnaCAN August 12th, 2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamsMother (Post 26392324)
Congratulations on the baby, Liz. He's beautiful.

Shawna,

If I'm bf and pumping but not supplementing, I'm not eligible for LAM?

If you're feeding the pumped breastmilk to baby in a bottle, then you're not eligible for LAM. The removal of milk isn't what suppresses fertility, but the stimulation from the suckling. The pump doesn't provide the same stimulation as suckling does; so a pumping session is not equivalent to a nursing session in terms of it's effect on fertility.

Pumping after each nursing session (to relieve engorgement or build up supply) doesn't disqualify you from LAM since the baby is still getting all nourishment from the breast (so providing you with all that suckling stimulation to suppress fertility). The minute a bottle enters the picture, no LAM!

Make sense?

K.A.T August 13th, 2012 11:24 AM

Ahh so as long as I nurse first then pump, it's still LAM. Introduce a bottle and lam goes out the window. Learning more day by day. By the time I plan on introducing a bottle, he'll either be 6 months, or I'll be sterilized. Good to know. Thanks for all the answers Shawna.

ShawnaCAN August 13th, 2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.A.T (Post 26396559)
Ahh so as long as I nurse first then pump, it's still LAM. Introduce a bottle and lam goes out the window.

Yup, you got it!

LJD3Tdance August 17th, 2012 02:17 AM

How's it going so far? :)

K.A.T August 17th, 2012 09:23 PM

So far so good. He's still EBF and DH isn't coming anywhere near me, even though he's practically begging. lol We're in the middle of a growth spurt so he's cluster feeding on and off this past week. Today he's been pretty clingy. I can't get him to stay down on his own for more than 30 mins, maybe an hour if I'm lucky.

THE angry uterus August 17th, 2012 10:05 PM

Congrats KAT! :)

K.A.T August 18th, 2012 12:31 PM

Thanks Jamie.