JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Natural Family Planning and FAM (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/)
-   -   How can conception happen with a short LP? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f222-natural-family-planning-and-fam/2565510-how-can-conception-happen-short-lp.html)

bellabri287 August 24th, 2012 05:55 PM

How can conception happen with a short LP?

Hi ladies, I'm feeling very much out of the running this cycle. So I am wondering, with a short LP... how can conception happen? Shouldn't I be seeing a BFP by now if I was going to get one?

I have gotten 3 BFN's today, I'm 11/10dpo. My LP is not much longer than this and I'm afraid that my lining will begin to shed before the egg has even implanted and I can get a positive HPT. How does this work? If I implanted yesterday or even today, would my body know to stop the beginning of menstruation quick enough? Can it take a few days (not hours) for HGC to accumulate enough to show up on a HPT?

Sorry... I'm feeling all depressed this evening. :( Especially since I have been having cramps today, but very dull and higher in my uterus than normal.

LJD3Tdance August 24th, 2012 10:05 PM

Re: How can conception happen with a short LP?

I have a 12 day LP at the max, I had a REALLY wonky cycle once and had a much longer LP then that and maybe one time I had a 13 day LP, but I've had shorter than 12 and 12 is my max norm LP, and I've had 5 babies and 0 miscarriages, so I can't answer your actual question, but...

plan4fate August 25th, 2012 08:58 AM

You saw how it went for me. Started testing at 8dpo, nada.. then on 12dpo (the day af was due) there was a line.

Some women implant early (7dop) other's late (12+dpo)I think I read once that it takes 12+ hours for enough hcg to enter the system for a second line, and everyone's different.

*hugs* I'll let you know if my progesterone cream makes a difference... or I will if I ever freaking O.

ShawnaCAN August 25th, 2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabri287 (Post 26446495)
Hi ladies, I'm feeling very much out of the running this cycle. So I am wondering, with a short LP... how can conception happen? Shouldn't I be seeing a BFP by now if I was going to get one?

Conception requires an egg, adequate mucus, and sperm. So that's possible with a short LP. But the short LP makes it difficult for pregnancy to continue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabri287 (Post 26446495)
I have gotten 3 BFN's today, I'm 11/10dpo. My LP is not much longer than this and I'm afraid that my lining will begin to shed before the egg has even implanted and I can get a positive HPT. How does this work? If I implanted yesterday or even today, would my body know to stop the beginning of menstruation quick enough? Can it take a few days (not hours) for HGC to accumulate enough to show up on a HPT?

Implantation usually happens 7 - 10DPO. When it does, the hCg triggers a drastic rise in progesterone...which stabilizes the uterine lining. The rate at which hcg rises so it can be detected with a urine test varies from pregnancy to pregnancy.

When there is a problem with the LP, it's because there's a problem with follicular development earlier in the cycle (something is preventing the egg from reaching full maturity before it's released). This can make conception difficult, or make sustaining the pregnancy difficult. Supplementing with progesterone can help, but it doesn't fix the problem with follicular development. Fixing that to ensure healthy ovulation will automatically fix the LP as well.There are some very common causes of this problem, fairly easily treated too!

How many cycles have you been TTC? Have you discontinued any hormones in the last 18 months?

bellabri287 August 25th, 2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnaCAN (Post 26448115)
When there is a problem with the LP, it's because there's a problem with follicular development earlier in the cycle (something is preventing the egg from reaching full maturity before it's released). This can make conception difficult, or make sustaining the pregnancy difficult. Supplementing with progesterone can help, but it doesn't fix the problem with follicular development. Fixing that to ensure healthy ovulation will automatically fix the LP as well.There are some very common causes of this problem, fairly easily treated too!

How many cycles have you been TTC? Have you discontinued any hormones in the last 18 months?

Here i always thought a LP issue was only affecting implantation and keeping the pregnancy, not folicular development. How could you even know if you have issues with folicular development? I have my anual pap on the 4th, is there anything I should ask my OB about for that?

I have been loosely TTC since March, adamantly (DTD a lot during my fertile time) since May. I am 10 months off HBCP, started charting when I came off them. I know, my body could still be working on getting a decent LP down. But it's been between 9-11 days every cycle. My temp plummeted today, so I'm waiting for AF on 12dpo so if she shows, another 11 day LP.

Ashley let me know about the progesterone cream! I've been very interested to see if it works for you.

LiamsMother August 25th, 2012 12:08 PM

Whenever we're ttc, I have to take progesterone from peak plus 4 days to ensure adequate length of time for implantation. One pregnancy ended in miscarriage and it was totally idiopathic since the pathology report showed that there was nothing wrong with her and the other two pregnancies implanted and were viable. I can't really add any more advice to this thread but I can wish you good luck.

plan4fate August 25th, 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamsMother (Post 26448476)
Whenever we're ttc, I have to take progesterone from peak plus 4 days to ensure adequate length of time for implantation. One pregnancy ended in miscarriage and it was totally idiopathic since the pathology report showed that there was nothing wrong with her and the other two pregnancies implanted and were viable. I can't really add any more advice to this thread but I can wish you good luck.

I'm supposed to use the cream starting 24 hours after ovulation for 14 days. Continue if there's a bfp, discontinue if there is not.

Problem is... so far, no O. LOL.

bellabri287 August 25th, 2012 07:21 PM

Can you pinpoint 24 hours after ovulation? That's the scary part for me, I think I know when I O but sometimes I'm wrong. I wait to confirm by temp, which takes 3 days. Hmmmm...

LiamsMother August 25th, 2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabri287 (Post 26449464)
Can you pinpoint 24 hours after ovulation? That's the scary part for me, I think I know when I O but sometimes I'm wrong. I wait to confirm by temp, which takes 3 days. Hmmmm...

I'm not sure. I think that's why my doctor has me waiting until 4 days post "peak".

ShawnaCAN August 25th, 2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabri287 (Post 26448403)
Here i always thought a LP issue was only affecting implantation and keeping the pregnancy, not folicular development. How could you even know if you have issues with folicular development?

Well, the short LP is actually part of what's telling you that. An adequate LP comes from adequate progesterone levels. Progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum, or the "shell" left behind by the egg. A weak or immature egg leaves a weak corpus luteum, which causes weak progesterone production.

Another way to evaluate follicular development is the mucus pattern. The production of mucus is directly related to follicular development. A healthy mucus build up reflects healthy ovulation. An annormal mucus pattern reflects either cervical damage (very common post HBC) *or* inadequate follicular development.

These sorts of abnormalities are very common post Pill though. Usually time resolves it, up to 18 months is how long full recovery can take from most forms of the pill. For Depo, recovery can take up to 3 years.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabri287 (Post 26448403)
I have my anual pap on the 4th, is there anything I should ask my OB about for that?

There are several common causes of problems with follicular development. We've already identified one (being post HBC), but it wouldn't hurt to ask about the others if your OB is willing. Not all are very knowledgable about fertility though.

Thyroid (TSH should be under 2.5)
Insulin Resistance and PCOS
Abnormal prolactin
Abnormal cortisol

plan4fate August 26th, 2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabri287 (Post 26449464)

The last two cycles, yeah, I could have totally gotten it within 24 hours as ovulation was super apparent. This cycle my body is being an absolute Jerk... I didn't realize fertilitea made such a difference.. but it does.

rlh27 August 26th, 2012 01:20 PM

I had the same concern because my LP was 11-12 days and I had heavy spotting starting around 8DPO, but baby didn't have any problem implanting.

I know how frustrating it can be to time things well, but still have BFN after BFN :( I hope you and all of our TTCers get BFPs really soon.

bellabri287 August 26th, 2012 09:33 PM

Thanks Lucy. :)

This cycle I am going to make sure we BD every other day as well as day of and day after O if at all possible. I also need to not miss any temps, that drives me nuts, I need to keep strict no drinks after 8pm, otherwise I always get up to pee at like 3am, enough to mess up my 5:15am temp time.