JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   In the News (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f98-news/)
-   -   Gisele calls for breastfeeding law (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f98-news/2060751-gisele-calls-for-breastfeeding-law.html)

pattyandthemoos August 2nd, 2010 12:59 PM

Gisele calls for breastfeeding law

Quote:

Gisele Bundchen wants mothers to be forced to breastfeed for the first six months of their baby's life.
The Press Association: Gisele calls for breastfeeding law

birdblue August 2nd, 2010 04:32 PM

Re: Gisele calls for breastfeeding law

Wow.

Delekatala August 29th, 2010 08:52 AM

Well, send me to prison then, cause I only lasted 3 months, and my milk dried up.

bluebutterfly August 30th, 2010 07:41 PM

I never post in here, but I just saw it on the main board and had to stop in and give my two cents. Does she not realize some mom's CAN'T BF?? I am one of them. My milk never came in with either pregnancy. My oldest was practically starving when I tired to BF him because he wasn't getting anything. It's a pretty stupid comment to make IMO

K.A.T August 31st, 2010 09:47 AM

Wow talk about a slap in the face to those of us who have/had trouble BF'n. My milk never fully came in with either pg. I felt like a loser as is and a law like this would make me feel worse.

pattyandthemoos September 1st, 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebutterfly (Post 21361218)
I never post in here, but I just saw it on the main board and had to stop in and give my two cents. Does she not realize some mom's CAN'T BF?? I am one of them. My milk never came in with either pregnancy. My oldest was practically starving when I tired to BF him because he wasn't getting anything. It's a pretty stupid comment to make IMO

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.A.T (Post 21366791)
Wow talk about a slap in the face to those of us who have/had trouble BF'n. My milk never fully came in with either pg. I felt like a loser as is and a law like this would make me feel worse.

ITA! I think it is easy to think that every woman can breastfeed but if you have never had to deal with issues, you really don't know. My ds had failure to thrive. I was only making 2 oz at a time and he was not gaining weight. I worked with a lot of lactation consultants and they were the ones that said I needed to supplement. But, even if that weren't the case, you can't legislate this. Women should be able to decide for themselves what is right and wrong for their own babies.

I think it would be good to create laws that encourage breastfeeding like the reasonable break time for nursing mothers, or making more free breast pumps available for low income families, but not everyone can breastfeed and not everyone wants to.