JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Not Trying Not Preventing (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1166-not-trying-not-preventing/)
-   -   The Big 'O' (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1166-not-trying-not-preventing/2684146-big-o.html)

Cervix Cramps Suck October 7th, 2013 12:52 PM

The Big 'O'

I've been reading through some of the boards about people being frustrated with TTC, and can't help by wonder:

What if charting the big 'O' doesn't always work for people?

On another forum I was on, and promptly left because I was laughed at, said it was physically impossible for me to be pregnant a mere 12 days from start of period. (Last cycle started August 4th, showing symptoms and started questioning on August 19th when things really started to kick in. I had sex on days 8&9 and 13&14.)

I wasn't showing positive though on pee tests until August 31st.

Maybe it's just me, but if more people just had sex whenever they are on that cusp of TTC/NTNP, and stopped charting, maybe more people would get their happy endings.

I say this in the case of people that have no known fertility issues, of course.

What are some peoples thoughts on this?

kto1111 October 7th, 2013 04:11 PM

Re: The Big 'O'

I don't see a downside to charting. And most people are DTD throughout their cycle (you can see on their charts! lol). I mean, I get what you're saying if there are people relying solely on their charts for determining when to BD, but even still.... if you can see on your chart exactly when you O, what's wrong with that? Plus, your experience reads to me like a perfectly normal short-cycle. Not sure why people were laughing you off. Maybe they need more experience charting? ;)

The bottom line is it's just not that easy for everyone... if it were, no one would bother tracking it all. I don't think there are many people who dive right in to hard-core TTC practices if they haven't already tried a more casual approach first. Just my :2cents:

jellybean93 October 20th, 2013 01:14 PM

:iagree: Charting only tells you when you have already ovulated anyways, so if people are relying on that then they are going to miss it. I chart because of my PCOS mainly (so I can see IF I am even ovulating and also so that I am prepared for AF). I think people without known fertility issues are also using it to make sure they don't have any issues either (LP defects, Progesterone issues, anovulatory cycles, etc)... I haven't really met anyone who didn't try au natural first before they started charting. Yes, I find having a chart sometimes adds extra stress that I could actually do without... but It also provides me with a wealth of knowledge that I would be otherwise clueless about. If I had regular cycles and knew that I ovulated I probably wouldn't bother with charting and just DTD.... but with 80+ day cycles it gets a little exhausting ;)

Congrats on your BFP :)

rusticbythesea01 October 21st, 2013 05:46 AM

I have tried charting once & quit doing it after 2 cycles because it was stressing me out. It is good to know more about your cycles, but I'd rather just wing it now and if it happens, it happens! Although, I have a 2 day window now of when I ovulate and I do not know the exact day, it varies from month to month so charting would probably just tell me the same thing anyway, after the fact, so I just dtd 2 days before expected O, day before, & day of. My body pretty much gives me the signals when I am going to ovulate (sensitive nipples, cramps, heightened libido, ewcm)

Congratulations on your BFP by the way!!!!

jellybean93 October 21st, 2013 10:59 AM

Rusticbythesea01, oh how I envy you!! I wish my body gave me those signs :( I get the EWCM and the increased libido... and then ovulation fails. Last cycle when I did eventually ovulate I had creamy cm (grrr!) and I my libido wasn't anywhere desirable lol
I guess charting can be the same as early preg testing too, I HATE getting BFN's but yet I still carry on testing. I hate seeing how messed up my cycle is, getting my hopes up and then my temp falls, etc but the pro's of it do out weigh the con's for my personal situation.