JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   November 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Private facebook group? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/2637713-private-facebook-group.html)

Txmom4 March 25th, 2013 11:51 AM

Private facebook group?

Do you guys want to make a private/secret fb group? I am on fb all the time lol

robynpuff79 March 25th, 2013 11:54 AM

Re: Private facebook group?

I like that idea, I am always on FB!

BlessednHighlyFavored March 25th, 2013 12:03 PM

Usually when facebook groups are created this one becomes very quiet because everybody is over there.I probally wont wont post much over there because I don't want to make the mistake of posting something publicly I meant for the group.(I did that before)

LABs March 25th, 2013 12:09 PM

I can't stand navigating fb groups. If they are active posters it gets crazy!

Txmom4 March 25th, 2013 12:11 PM

I definitely dont want to take traffic away from here. That wasnt the point :(

elizabethchallis March 25th, 2013 12:32 PM

I think once we have mods and there should be requirements to join (active JM member)

Carwen*Angel March 25th, 2013 01:10 PM

Once you get your hosts and those of you who are active have racked up plenty of posts, you'll be able to discuss and agree requirements for a private group and your hosts can make a private group they can moderate themselves here on JM (in Groups area):
JustMommies Message Boards - Social Groups

If they need help they can just give me a shout. Then, if they PM Rachel or Twinkle (the admins) they will link it through so it looks like a subforum here on the DDC.

I personally don't recommend making an FB group. I have seen more than one JM board simply die because of FB groups. And it seems unfair on those who prefer JM when after all, everyone met and made friends on JM, if you kwim (yeah I know I'm a mod and I'm biased but still).

SpankyMagoo March 25th, 2013 01:13 PM

Please let me give some advice on this one. FB groups KILL the JM group. Everytime. HOWEVER, FB is a better medium. It jsut is. Its more immediate, its more private, its more mobile. Its just better.

HOWEVER, I highly dont recommend doing a FB group until we become a PR. By then, we'll have a lot less time and we'll know each other very well. It is the PERFECT time to switch.

I really hope we wait. Or else this DDC will die very quickly. Please Please wait,... its too soon!

Txmom4 March 25th, 2013 01:34 PM

Maybe I should delete this post (is that possible?) . I thought it would just be a "bonus". I like this room, I dont want this room to die down, especially for people who are going to join later on.

Quantum_Leap March 25th, 2013 01:41 PM

Not yet! NOOO!!! Every PR I've ever been part of has died because of FB.

SpankyMagoo March 25th, 2013 02:16 PM

No need to delete! :) It was gonna come up eventually :)

I -think there is a good chance we'll transition eventually, as I said FB is simply a better medium... but I think its a really god idea to become a close knit group beforehand

Lotsakids March 25th, 2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

I definitely dont want to take traffic away from here. That wasnt the point
Intended or not, unfortunately it will happen :(

The Due in October board in on a massive local site that I was posting lurking on is already gone.

Quote:

Please let me give some advice on this one. FB groups KILL the JM group. Everytime. HOWEVER, FB is a better medium. It jsut is. Its more immediate, its more private, its more mobile. Its just better.

HOWEVER, I highly dont recommend doing a FB group until we become a PR. By then, we'll have a lot less time and we'll know each other very well. It is the PERFECT time to switch.
Another one that thinks its a great idea after we become a playroom, but for during pregnancy I prefer it here.

hotpinkheels March 25th, 2013 05:46 PM

Love the playroom idea!

avaught March 25th, 2013 05:48 PM

Love the pr idea

TeamNick March 25th, 2013 06:07 PM

I am not ready for facebook. I would like to get to know everyone a little better first.

megpie March 25th, 2013 08:08 PM

Don't worry that you posted it!! It's ok!

and on a sidenote, I just spent a couple minutes looking at your new siggy and omg are your kids ever gorgeous. WOW!!! :heart:

Cupcake2 March 25th, 2013 09:00 PM

Later on I think this would be a great idea!

Txmom4 March 25th, 2013 09:02 PM

Awe thanks Megpie! :-) you have some pretty adorable ones also.

Carwen*Angel March 26th, 2013 01:55 AM

It comes up in every DDC before long, you did nothing wrong mentioning it.

I would argue with people who say it's a better medium. That isn't always the case at all. There are lots of things I do with my boards such as workshops and challenges, member of the week threads, games, member awards needing polls etc, that sort of thing that would not work as well on FB. And, believe it or not, FB doesn't run well on everybody's technology. It runs ok on my current computer though I find it glitchy and frustrating - on my previous computer I could barely do anything with it at all.

If you decide to drift over there in your PR days I would strongly urge you to just check that all of your regular, active members have an FB account (because the other issue is that some people DON'T have FB accounts, sometimes for very valid reasons including it not being a good idea in the job that they do) and it runs ok for them etc, before you stop posting here as well. It's up to you guys at the end of the day, but I'm not letting it go without saying what I think because I feel really strongly about this.