JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   November 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/)
-   -   breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/2663453-breastfeeding.html)

BlessednHighlyFavored July 4th, 2013 05:21 AM

breastfeeding

In public. Will/have you done it? Do you use a cover and just whip it out or pump a bottle before leaving.

~Kris~ July 4th, 2013 05:43 AM

Re: breastfeeding

With #1 I had to pump....he was tongue tied. With #2, I often pumped a bottle, he was a SLOW nurser....like 1/2 hour -45 minutes which doesn't work well if you are out and about! #3 was much more efficient, 10 minutes could keep her going for a bit. So I usually just nursed her. I never had an official cover, just tossed a light blanket over my shoulder, mostly to help cover my exposed belly fat! :lol:

Quantum_Leap July 4th, 2013 08:01 AM

Yeah, after taking two kids on multiple trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flights, I am way past being embarrassed about this! :lol: Neither of my kids would ever stand to have a blanket over their heads for a moment. If I was squeamish about breastfeeding in public then breastfeeding just wouldn't have worked for us. I'll do what I need to do where and when I need to do it.

FairyDustMom July 4th, 2013 08:21 AM

I used the Medela pump with my last and often took bottled breast milk everywhere with me it made it super easy to feed in public. Although the pumping part was not fun.

Angelgirl30 July 4th, 2013 08:59 AM

I did not breast feed my DD because I wasn't able to and I'm definitely not trying to push buttons when I give my own personal opinion on this matter. My sister is the type to just pop it out and feed on the spot with no cover and I personally get very embarrassed by this and feel that it can be rude. I understand that breast feeding is natural but it is something that should be done modistly in my opinion. I will either use a light blanket or a breast feeding cover. Or nurse in the car with AC. I feel that it puts parents to other children in an awkward situation when they see a breast feeding mother and start asking questions as all children do. Personally I just feel that I should not force my beliefs on other people and breast feeding in public kinda does imo because if the parents aren't ready to have that conversation yet it puts them in the position to be forced to do so.

Txmom4 July 4th, 2013 09:17 AM

I nurse in public, no questions asked. I do have a hooter hidder (bebe au lait or something like that) that I use, otherwise just put up a blanket then take it down once I get latched and pull my shirt down as far as I can to cover my boob, I don't really care if anyone has a problem with it either. Hoochie mamas walk around with there tits out and it's ok, why can't I BF my baby who needs it to live?

Erin1826 July 4th, 2013 09:36 AM

I did and will BF in public. I either use a cover or the two shirt method. If i know someone is uncomfortable, I'll use a cover if I have one and baby doesn't throw it off, but with two shirts, there's really no skin exposure. I got really good at popping baby on quickly and discreetly.

elizabethchallis July 4th, 2013 10:40 AM

I pumped a bottle before leaving the house because my son was pokey and had a crummy latch.

Christina642 July 4th, 2013 11:25 AM

With my first I was all shy for the first couple months. Well that ended soon when baby would pull the blanket off. So now I'm not embaresed about it at all. I no longer use a blanket Hell after breastfeeding 4 kids I'm kinda a pro at it lol.

outtheblue July 4th, 2013 11:44 AM

I dunno what I'll end up doing. I might try with a cover, if not then I'll pump a bottle.

SpankyMagoo July 4th, 2013 01:48 PM

Jo wouldnt take a bottle so I couldnt pump, so I nursed in public. I was really nervous but it was really easy. I even got good enough that I could easily nurse her without a cover and not show anything.

lil_fishy July 4th, 2013 01:54 PM

I do all of the above depending on the situation. If I do something with a bunch of people where I might want to do something else, I'll pump a bottle before and use it if we need it and it will be someone besides me feeding...so like a mall with my mom where I might be trying on clothes or whatnot. If I'm in mixed company or a super busy place I usually use a cover. My DD was so distracted otherwise and wouldn't focus on eating and it makes most f my guy friends squirmy or they stare... which isn't always the most comfy. If it's just ladies or I feel it is quiet enough for baby to eat peacefully, no cover. I think to some extent it depends on your baby's temperament as to whether covering works or not.

LABs July 4th, 2013 02:00 PM

I wear nursing shirts when out if I can. I bf everywhere. I never use a blanket as that calls attention to what I'm doing. I put a pref old over my breast, get things ready, position my kids head and lower the cloth to latch them on. The prefold catches any excess and if baby pops off I have a quick cover. I pull it closer to my shoulder for burping and putting myself away. No one sees anything and they think that the baby is asleep. I've had a few uncomfortable situations where people have come way too close to see the"sleeping baby".

My point is you can be very discreet and feed your baby. I have no clue how I'm going to do this with twins! I don't think that you can feed two at once without flashing something! I'd have to bf one at a time or pump or something! I'm thinking I might actually need a cover as that would be better than a screaming baby as they wait.

Minilegs July 4th, 2013 07:22 PM

I'm pretty modest and have a large chest so with my first I didn't but, with my second I did with a hooter hider type cover up. I was fine with that because then I could adjust myself, etc. without my whole boob flopping out ha ha. I don't care if others don't use a cover, it's just a person preference to maintain some modesty.

daneeleigh July 4th, 2013 07:53 PM

I nurse in public and I brought pumped bottles. My son was a bad latcher so I literally had to expose myself to get him to latch every 5 min. I just wasn't comfortable doing that all the time. It really depended on my mood and where we were. A lot of places here have nursing rooms in public I made use of them whenever I could. I use a nursing cover or a blanket in public.

Lotsakids July 4th, 2013 08:54 PM

I NIP, anywhere & everywhere. I don't have a cover, nor would most of my babies let me use one.

I am discreet. Most people wouldn't have a clue what I am doing. I am not a 'hang it all out' feeder, because for 'me' personally I am not comfortable with that, but I don't see anything wrong with it either. I don't 'sexualise' feeding. So to me there is nothing 'embarassing' 'wrong' or 'yucky' about a woman with a baby at the breast.

Quote:

My sister is the type to just pop it out and feed on the spot with no cover and I personally get very embarrassed by this and feel that it can be rude. I understand that breast feeding is natural but it is something that should be done modistly in my opinion. I will either use a light blanket or a breast feeding cover. Or nurse in the car with AC. I feel that it puts parents to other children in an awkward situation when they see a breast feeding mother and start asking questions as all children do. Personally I just feel that I should not force my beliefs on other people and breast feeding in public kinda does imo because if the parents aren't ready to have that conversation yet it puts them in the position to be forced to do so.
I am sorry, but your post made me cringe. Literally. Breastfeeding is not a 'belief system.' Me sitting feeding my baby in public is not forcing my 'beliefs' on you, your children, or anyone else for that matter. How do you know from 'looking' at me feeding that I believe anything particular at all about feeding or breast milk? I am just feeding my baby.

Honestly, if seeing a baby breastfeeding, or a woman's breast because she is feeding makes you squeamish, then look away. Really, just look away.

And as for children asking questions, I think that's a good thing. There is nothing wrong with knowing that breast milk comes from a woman's BREAST, because IT DOES.

Quantum_Leap July 4th, 2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelgirl30 (Post 27497231)
I did not breast feed my DD because I wasn't able to and I'm definitely not trying to push buttons when I give my own personal opinion on this matter. My sister is the type to just pop it out and feed on the spot with no cover and I personally get very embarrassed by this and feel that it can be rude. I understand that breast feeding is natural but it is something that should be done modistly in my opinion. I will either use a light blanket or a breast feeding cover. Or nurse in the car with AC. I feel that it puts parents to other children in an awkward situation when they see a breast feeding mother and start asking questions as all children do. Personally I just feel that I should not force my beliefs on other people and breast feeding in public kinda does imo because if the parents aren't ready to have that conversation yet it puts them in the position to be forced to do so.

I think the exact opposite. This is exactly why breastfeeding in public is so important. It helps to normalize breastfeed, so that kids growing up today get used to seeing it and then as adults will view it as the normal, natural, healthy process that it is, rather than something squeamish or wrong or embarrassing. This is especially important for young girls to see, because then they'll be more likely to choose to breastfeed themselves if and when they become mothers.

Society in general needs to start recognizing that breastfeeding is what breasts are FOR. They're not just meant to be sexual objects. If anything, that purpose is a distant second. First and foremost, they're supposed to feed babies -- that's why all mammals have them (which is what the word "mammal" comes from -- mammary).

momof8lopez July 4th, 2013 10:12 PM

I so wish I could breast feed again, and I always did in public too. Unfortunately, with a double mastectomy, my last 4 children will never know that bond, nor how beautiful it is. My first 4 were EBF'd, and with that, came public obviously. Some family members hated it.......I could care less. I even had my sister (who never bf'd) tell me it made her husband uncomfortable because my baby was 2yrs old. I told her, who was my best friend, if I can't bf (in private in your home) then I will never come over again. They accepted it, not willingly, but I started to nurse in a bedroom or somewhere where the family was not all gathered. No one, including family, would decide when/where and how long I would nurse my kids.......except me.

I nursed in malls, parking lots, dr's office (while baby was getting shots, very soothing for them) anywhere that my baby called for it. I used a towl or blanket and it always worked out where no one saw my breast, ever. But I did have a few moments where I forgot to re-latch my nursing bra and bent over.....that was a sight for the whole world to see, lol....

StacieRN July 4th, 2013 10:18 PM

I NIP with both of my older kids. I will do it again with this one. I never used a blanket or cover up, just my shirt laid discreetly so no skin was showing. I would have people come up and talk to me and comment on the baby and never even realize they were nursing. I'm a huge advocate for bfing and think it is a travesty mothers feel too shamed to feed their baby in public. I practiced in front of a mirror several times before I felt really confident and comfortable that I was discreet, but honestly I show more skin in a 1 piece bathing suit than I do NIP!

momof8lopez July 4th, 2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelgirl30 (Post 27497231)

We are all allowed are opinions, and with that, I think your post was nicely put.....coming from a mom who EBF'd their first 4. But, I will say, that I pray my last 4 will see nursing moms in their early childhood development, so I can show them how beautiful it is and explain the entire process to them. I hope/pray that my last 2 girls who were never bf'd, decide one day to "try" with their own children. Seeing other mom's in public bf, is one of the only ways to show them how beautiful and natural it is.