JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   November 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/)
-   -   No epidural...C-section? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/2673749-no-epidural-c-section.html)

NapturalBritton August 20th, 2013 07:42 PM

No epidural...C-section?

I have a quick question, if I opt not to receive an epidural and end up having to have a c-section would they give me pain meds before the surgery or would I be placed in a position where I'll have to go through surgery without anything?

The Aubrey August 20th, 2013 07:56 PM

Re: No epidural...C-section?

You'll typically get a spinal block before surgery.

jadeunicorn August 20th, 2013 08:37 PM

And if all else fails, they'll knock you out with general anesthesia. Which is the pits, but better than feeling the pain. :(

Txmom4 August 20th, 2013 09:22 PM

If its an emergency where they don't have time to put in an epidural they would just put you under general anesthesia. They would never make you go through that and feel everything.

Minilegs August 20th, 2013 09:42 PM

Yep! The two options are general if baby is crashing, etc. Or, a spinal block which makes you totally numb from waist down.

CarolinaMama August 21st, 2013 02:32 AM

They would absolutely NEVER cut you in half with no meds!! :) Don't even let that be a worry in your head!

AmyKC12 August 21st, 2013 05:12 AM

THis is good to know! But what is the actual difference between a spinal and an epidural? Don't both numb you from the waist down?

CarolinaMama August 21st, 2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyKC12 (Post 27601780)
THis is good to know! But what is the actual difference between a spinal and an epidural? Don't both numb you from the waist down?

Yes, they both numb from the waist down, but an epidural is administered constantly through a catheter type hose inserted in your spine. This is how they are able to "turn it down" or off when you start pushing so you can get some feeling back. This is also why you hear about some women who started with a good strong epidural, but then move around in the bed and the tube comes out of your back or shifts, and it starts to wear off! A spinal is 1 shot of medicine that will last for several hours and then wear off. :) I *think* most anesthesiologists and OBs prefer a spinal, if they are given the choice. (Like if you have a PLANNED c-section), but an epidural does the trick too! I had an epidural with my 1st because I labored and pushed for so long, and then it was an emergency section. With my 2nd planned section, they did a spinal. :)

AmyKC12 August 21st, 2013 05:43 AM

Yeah..it sounds like a spinal is much better. No needles in your spine for a long time.

meritaten August 21st, 2013 06:16 AM

It depends on if it's really emergent. If it is they will sedate you and remove the baby as quickly as possible. If it's more due to failure to progress then yes, they'd give you a spinal. You'd never be feeling the whole thing though, that would be terrible!

~Kris~ August 21st, 2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyKC12 (Post 27601836)
Yeah..it sounds like a spinal is much better. No needles in your spine for a long time.

The needle is actually only there for a short time while they insert the tube thru it. With my first I was super scared about it, but the relief it brings is worth it!!!