JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   November 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/)
-   -   How much maternity leave are you taking? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/2675677-how-much-maternity-leave-you-taking.html)

newmommytake3 August 30th, 2013 11:26 AM

How much maternity leave are you taking?

How much maternity leave are you taking and what does your employer offer for pay if anything?

I am only taking 10 weeks 3 days as I used 1 week 2 days FLMA in May to have a skin cancer spot taken care of.

My job has an income replacement plan for the medical time only so 6 weeks if I deliver natural and 8 for c section. Then they give 40 hours baby bonding time. Most likely I will get the 6+1 for 7 weeks paid and then Ill use every hour I have of PTO which by then would be 112 hours. It looks like I will have 4 days w/ out pay unless I deliver by c section and then I would be covered totally.

If I had the full 12weeks left in FMLA I would take it! I know it will be hard to come back. It always is!

FairyDustMom August 30th, 2013 11:28 AM

Re: How much maternity leave are you taking?

I am self-employed - have to return back ASAP.. my husband only gets 2 days off for the delivery. I have no other help from family so we are pretty much on our own :)

ducksaresnazzy August 30th, 2013 11:37 AM

my boss (greatest guy ever) told me pretty much to leave whenever i want, and to come back whenever i want. which means i'm taking an eight month leave.

i wish.

i'm already having trouble keeping up at work, so i'll probably leave early or mid november. i'll go back as soon as medically possible. Nate is going on the night shift soon, so he'll be home while i'm working. it'll be tough, but my mom'll be here with them, and she's super excited about watching the baby.

Nicole B August 30th, 2013 11:39 AM

My employer offered me one week of paid maternity leave.

I've spent my summer saving up the rest so I can take 6 weeks off total.

ducksaresnazzy August 30th, 2013 11:48 AM

i feel like i should mention my leave is not paid .-. which is why i'm still there right now:p

HappyBabyB August 30th, 2013 11:53 AM

6 weeks paid and hubby gets 2 weeks paid, all thanks to the military! Thank goodness because I don't have any vacation time left because of our move.

MakeupMommy3 August 30th, 2013 11:55 AM

I get 12 weeks total paid leave (yaay me) 6 weeks of maternity leave and 6 weeks of paid parental leave. Not sure how much DH gets as this is a new job he's started so, we will see. Good thing is, he works nights and will be home in the day with us.

shana1979 August 30th, 2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmommytake3 (Post 27621761)
How much maternity leave are you taking and what does your employer offer for pay if anything?

I am only taking 10 weeks 3 days as I used 1 week 2 days FLMA in May to have a skin cancer spot taken care of.

My job has an income replacement plan for the medical time only so 6 weeks if I deliver natural and 8 for c section. Then they give 40 hours baby bonding time. Most likely I will get the 6+1 for 7 weeks paid and then Ill use every hour I have of PTO which by then would be 112 hours. It looks like I will have 4 days w/ out pay unless I deliver by c section and then I would be covered totally.

If I had the full 12weeks left in FMLA I would take it! I know it will be hard to come back. It always is!

That sounds like a great set up. I'm a teacher in Miami and our benefits are pretty bad. I want to do the full 12-week leave but it's all unpaid so I don't know. Depends on the babies. If they were to come now, I'd have to take a couple of weeks to recup from c/s surgery but I'd have to return to work right away. The closer they are to the scheduled surgery, the better financially (and obviously for health).

meritaten August 30th, 2013 12:28 PM

About 10-10.5 weeks because that's the amount of sick/vacation days I have saved up. Then DH is taking a further 12 weeks.

slp2012 August 30th, 2013 01:01 PM

I have zero paid maternity leave. I haven't had a day off (aside from weekends and holidays) in over a year. I have been saving my paid leave as much as possible for the past three years.

I will end up with 5.5 weeks paid from vacation and sick days and I will suck it up and take the rest unpaid so I can be gone 8 weeks. This is REALLY going to hurt, because I am the bread winner, but I think I am going to need it.

Of course this is all in a perfect world scenario where I can work up until the day I go into labor!

DownNotOut August 30th, 2013 01:21 PM

I think I'll be able to take about 12 weeks. I have 6.5 personal/vacation weeks saved up + some sick time that I'll take. I can also use 6-8 weeks of short term disability at 60% pay as needed/desired.

It's been hard not to take any time off, but will be nice to have that much pre-paid! Will somewhat depend on if I have to take any time off before the babies come, but so far, it's not looking that way.

mindyjean August 30th, 2013 01:38 PM

The school district will let me take my sick days paid for maternity leave, and I have 40 days saved up, so I will get 8 weeks off paid! I contemplated taking 12 weeks (so the last 4 would be unpaid) but don't want to take the pay cut right now. I took 12 with DS#2 and it went right into summer because he was a March baby, so I was home SIX MONTHS with him--it was awesome!

DH is saving up his time and is going to try to stay home 2 weeks (since that 2nd week would be Thanksgiving week anyways). It will be nice to have him home because he rarely takes time off.

momof8lopez August 30th, 2013 01:56 PM

Im in the middle of switching jobs.....if I start next week or the week after, I offered them 3wks off.....I will not get paid, as I will be a brand new employee. If I stay where I'am at (not making any money) I can make my own schedule, no paid maternity leave either. I don't think I've had more than 2wks off for each of my last 3 kids anyway's, I was self employed for most of my career.

~Kris~ August 30th, 2013 02:39 PM

I am a SAHM, so my time "off" will be in the hospital, with no pay except for baby snuggles.

I've never had a maternity leave. With my oldest, I got done teaching in early June and had him about 2 weeks later. I was honest and told them I would not be coming back. I could have said I was, got paid for my sick time once the new year started, which was about 45 days, and then poof decide I wasn't coming back, but I didn't feel like that would be fair to the school, my partner teacher, or the students.

polarbearmama August 30th, 2013 05:08 PM

I'm a full-time student and she is arriving before the end of Fall semester, so really no time off.

Maybe up to 2 weeks (depending on whether I get my VBAC or have to have repeat section) out of class if I need it, but otherwise, I think she will be coming to class and finals with me until I finish in mid-December.

Luckily, many nursing school programs are used to students bringing in their new babies ;)

hotpinkheels August 30th, 2013 05:55 PM

I'm my own boss so.... Right now if all goes well I will take off when I have the baby and go back after the new year so about 8 weeks.... All unpaid. Boo!

sis_sweetpea August 30th, 2013 06:19 PM

I'll be taking approximately 8 weeks off work. I will only get paid for about 4, that just depends on how much sick/annual leave I have by then. By the time 6 weeks comes up, I would be going back to work, but then the campus is closed for the holidays and I have paid time off... So I guess that means I'll get paid for another week and a half so that makes about 5.5 weeks paid. I'll be going back to school almost immediately though, I only take 2 classes so I won't be away from baby much at all. School will end the first week in December so that won't last long.

Erin1826 August 30th, 2013 06:54 PM

I'm taking the 60 days FMLA. It's 60 work days, so, as a teacher, it'll end up being about 4 months because of Thanksgiving and winter breaks and other holidays. It's all unpaid though except for 6 weeks of short term disability (2/3 my salary).

I'm with you, Stacie. This is really going to hurt since I am the breadwinner. Luckily, my MIL is the best person ever and will help us out financially if and when we need it.

Books_kids August 30th, 2013 09:19 PM

I have 8 weeks paid off. After that all unpaid :-( I'm doing a leave of abscence for an addl 7 months. I may work periodically to make extra money. Our expenses are low so I'm praying dh can survive without my income.

AmyKC12 August 31st, 2013 08:27 AM

Well, I lost my job in July so I don't have a set amount of time. I will really have to start aggressively searching for a job in January. So, I guess that is about 8 weeks...maybe more depending on when I find a job?

But - this whole thing annoys me and I think it is so unfair. Every person I know who has had a baby, it comes down to a numbers game. How many vacation days can you "save", stressing about when to go back....etc. New mommies should not have to go through this! We should be focusing on our babies! ANyway....I know there is nothing we can do about it. But...Whatever. Sigh.