JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   November 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Stupid GD (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/2675972-stupid-gd.html)

jadeunicorn September 1st, 2013 07:48 AM

Stupid GD

I just received a message from my doctor today, and she doesn't feel my numbers were good enough last week, so she wants me to have a consult with perintology and says I will likely need meds.

I am a mess right now after receiving the message. This will mean I can't go past 39 weeks, which will likely mean repeat c-section. I am so not OK with this. I wanted my VBAC, and unless little bub decides she wants to come early, it looks like that won't happen.

I am so miserable and depressed right now, which I'm sure will make my sugars go bonkers. I had a horrible night's sleep to begin with and a nasty fasting number of 116 this morning (which my doc hasn't even seen that number yet, yikes).

I know doing the meds are to keep baby healthy, but I just feel so defeated right now. :cries:

TeamNick September 1st, 2013 08:41 AM

Re: Stupid GD

I am sorry. Maybe the doctor will have some tips to keep you off meds.

BlessednHighlyFavored September 1st, 2013 08:58 AM

sorry mama

FairyDustMom September 1st, 2013 02:42 PM

*Hugs* SO sorry to hear this.. I know the feeling when you get told that you might not give birth naturally.. I been very bummed after my doctor told me I have high chances of being induced again and go through another episiotomy and get my last one fixed as my baby was big before and she said chances are it will be bigger again :(.. I am terrified and I REALLY prey I will go into natural labor ..will keep my fingers crossed for you and myself.

maxmama31 September 1st, 2013 03:57 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry!

shana1979 September 1st, 2013 04:09 PM

:patback: talk to your little one. she'll probably oblige and come a day or two earlier than a planned c/s. don't count yourself out of your vbac yet. leave the cart behind the horse.

jadeunicorn September 1st, 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shana1979 (Post 27625404)
:patback: talk to your little one. she'll probably oblige and come a day or two earlier than a planned c/s. don't count yourself out of your vbac yet. leave the cart behind the horse.

I sure hope she obliges!

The way she wiggles in there, you'd think she wants out now (she has been crazy the last couple days...and she is currently hiccuping again - she does 2-3 times a day!).

I hope she's not as stubborn as my first. :o

Ugh, the next couple months are going to go SO slow.

LABs September 1st, 2013 06:56 PM

Oh no! I'm so sorry you are going through this! I hope your baby comes a little early!!

~Kris~ September 1st, 2013 07:28 PM

Hopefully the dr has some suggestions to help you with your numbers!

chelseamb September 1st, 2013 11:31 PM

I'm so sorry:( I know it sucks:( I've been trying to change my diet the best I can in hopes I get to the clinic and they say "what your doing us good ! Keep it up!" But are they talking insuli or metformin?

jadeunicorn September 2nd, 2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelseamb (Post 27626055)
I'm so sorry:( I know it sucks:( I've been trying to change my diet the best I can in hopes I get to the clinic and they say "what your doing us good ! Keep it up!" But are they talking insuli or metformin?

I won't know until after the consult exactly what. And I have to wait until Tuesday to get anything scheduled since today is a holiday. I was actually shocked my doctor messaged me on a weekend.

It's my fasting sugars that are being a pain. And she's worried because it gets harder to control as pregnancy progresses. So maybe they'll just start me on gluboride (I think that's the name). I really don't want to stick myself for insulin. :( I had a super painful finger poke yesterday even. That's enough sticking!

hotpinkheels September 2nd, 2013 01:06 PM

I'm so sorry! :( :( *hugs*

meritaten September 3rd, 2013 07:04 AM

I'm sorry :( I know it sucks but remember they just want whats best for you and baby!

jadeunicorn September 3rd, 2013 08:06 AM

Ugh. And now depending on what they say at the consult, I may have to be transferred to the high-risk OB and not have the doctor I've chosen AT ALL. I chose her because of her disposition (very much like a midwife) and because she's done so many successful VBACs!

Now I have to wait for the stupid hospital to call so I can schedule the consult with them this week or next week. And hubbie is all up in my grill because he needs to know ASAP (well I can't tell him anything until they freaking call me!). My daughter starts school tomorrow, which is going to make appointments an hour drive away crazy to try to schedule (I had all the ones at the doctor scheduled for perfect times), so she may need to be taken out of school early for some because we have no one else to pick her up at school when it releases at 3 if I'm stuck in another city with added appointments.

ARGH!

I have too much to get done today, can't find the school supplies check list so I can gather things, and am falling apart due to these stupid GD issues.

seaside September 3rd, 2013 09:24 AM

Insulin isn't as bad as it seens. The needles are so thin u don't even feel it. The finger pricks are a lot more painful. This is my 2nd pregnancy with gd and insulin due to high fasting numbers so I do have a bit of experience under my belt with this unfortunately.

W/DS my high risk wanted to induce me at 39 weeks because that is "policy" for gd. Especially since DS was measuring almost 4 kg in ultrasounds. What he didn't take in mind was that his femur bone was long and skewing the weight estimate plus, DH is 6'3 so I wasn't having a small baby regardlessIif gd. Either way I refused induction and delivered naturally at 40 +2.

My current high risk perinatologist who also manages a large hospital's maternity emergency dept. Does nnot believe in inducing unless there is reason. Ie baby weight, placenta function, high blood pressure or whatever else.

LNg story short, pleasedon't be discouraged. Keep your numbers low with whatever meds are best, that is the best way to keep baby size normal and avoid the most dreaded gd complication.

Also, develop a good communication line with whoever treats you and be as informed as possible so you ask the right questions and an active part of your burth plan.

Finally, remember that the most important thing is healthy mama and baby and which ever way u get to that part is a temporary sutuation.

Big hugs your way :smile:

EDIT:

Virtual keyboard typos and I have no patience to correct them. My apologies.

jadeunicorn September 3rd, 2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaside (Post 27628735)
Insulin isn't as bad as it seens. The needles are so thin u don't even feel it. The finger pricks are a lot more painful. This is my 2nd pregnancy with gd and insulin due to high fasting numbers so I do have a bit of experience under my belt with this unfortunately.

W/DS my high risk wanted to induce me at 39 weeks because that is "policy" for gd. Especially since DS was measuring almost 4 kg in ultrasounds. What he didn't take in mind was that his femur bone was long and skewing the weight estimate plus, DH is 6'3 so I wasn't having a small baby regardlessIif gd. Either way I refused induction and delivered naturally at 40 +2.

My current high risk perinatologist who also manages a large hospital's maternity emergency dept. Does nnot believe in inducing unless there is reason. Ie baby weight, placenta function, high blood pressure or whatever else.

LNg story short, pleasedon't be discouraged. Keep your numbers low with whatever meds are best, that is the best way to keep baby size normal and avoid the most dreaded gd complication.

Also, develop a good communication line with whoever treats you and be as informed as possible so you ask the right questions and an active part of your burth plan.

Finally, remember that the most important thing is healthy mama and baby and which ever way u get to that part is a temporary sutuation.

Big hugs your way :smile:

EDIT:

Virtual keyboard typos and I have no patience to correct them. My apologies.

Thanks. I know all this is best for baby. And I would likely be less stressed if my goal wasn't a VBAC (and if I wasn't so scared of switching to a doctor who would be automatic repeat c-section, no VBAC chance at all).

It's still my fasting numbers that are giving me issues only. I am easily controlling my numbers during the day so far (the times I have been a tad over - and it was 121 one time and 124 another so not too crazy, I KNOW exactly why I was over and expecting it).

Well, my consult is on Friday at 1pm, so I'll see what that doctor says. I'm just a ball of nerves right now.

seaside September 3rd, 2013 03:09 PM

First off 121 or 124 are not high by any account. These glucometers have a 10% error margin, so that 5-10 pts here and there are fine so long as you're not seeing super high numbers.
Fasting is the hardest to deal with and correct because u simply can't fast any more than you're fasting... it's not about giving up on a few more grams of carbs at a meal....

I haven't been able to get my fasting down no matter what I tried, but I know others who have.

Here are some tricks that may work for you

1. If you have energy and time, take a half hour walk after dinner, for some this stimulate sinsulin production enough over the night time to counter act the dawn effect

2. Have a snack right before bedtime. Make sure it consists of one serving of carbs about 15 grams (1 slice of bread preferrabky whole wheat for example) and a generius serving of fat - peanut butter, butter, avocado, cream cheese, tehina, whatever your fancy. Theoretically the fat creates a very slow carb absorbtion which also counter acts the dawn phenomenon. This wirks for a lot of gd ladies I know and is recommended by gd dietitian s.

3. Finally, this is the only thing that has ever worked for me personally and I just happened to stumble upon it after a barbq at the beachbone night... eat a lot of meat for dinner. I mean a huge steak or a few good servings of chicken or turkey for example. No carbs other than veggies with that. Basically do atkins for dinner (just dinner. Eat regularly the remainder of the day)

After measuring 110-120 for 2 weeks in a row, I woke up with 97 the morning after our barbecue. I tried it again and got the same results. Unfortunately, I still couldn't get it below the 90 my docs want it at so I have to be on meds.

I totally You about being disappointed. Trust me I feel your pain. But you can't help what you can't help... u know what I mean? So no sense eating yourself about it.

I hope you wake up with 82 tomorrow morning

And again sorry for the typos- I can't for the life of me get used to this virtual keyboard on my tablet and I have no patience to correct it either....:rolleyes:

jadeunicorn September 3rd, 2013 04:11 PM

Already doing the before bedtime snack as you have suggested (1 piece of whole wheat toast with natural PB and a handful of peanuts). I also have a middle of the night peanut snack. For a few days that was getting me under 100 (94, 97, and 92 for 3 mornings). Now that stopped working.

I was also doing after dinner walks, but last week was hot, so I was doing after breakfast walks instead. Last night was an after dinner walk and I woke up at 102.

All the close but no cigar numbers! I am also supposed to be under 90. :(

I usually eat a decent amount of protein for dinner, but I don't think my stomach could handle only protein and veggies. I can only do so much protein before my stomach starts to turn. :eek:

Myopia September 4th, 2013 01:52 PM

My fasting numbers always seem to be around 100 depending on what I eat the day before. If I eat anything carby after dinner... forget it.. Im going to be high.
Snacks got me high...so for me the best thing is to eat dinner and thats it.
I also test as soon as I wake up. The more I move around.. the more my numbers rise so thats one of the most important things for me.

Im on Insulin and it doesnt hurt as much as the pin pricks. The needles are so skinny you really dont feel it.

All the best.