JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   November 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Um really? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1929-november-2013-playroom/2676090-um-really.html)

Cupcake2 September 1st, 2013 07:05 PM

Um really?

I have family members who are already calling the baby by names THEY picked because we haven't decided on one yet. This drives me insane...like really who does that? The baby is in MY belly not theirs!

Txmom4 September 1st, 2013 07:14 PM

Re: Um really?

Is it just a silly name like "muffin"'or a legit name, like John,
Or something? Kind of weird.

Cupcake2 September 1st, 2013 07:15 PM

Actual names! Like picking names they like and calling him that saying that's what his name will be.

FairyDustMom September 1st, 2013 07:22 PM

Thats irritating.. they will be surprised when you announce a different name.
:)

~Kris~ September 1st, 2013 07:26 PM

What?!? I swear, when I hear about the things some people's families do, I really appreciate how normal my family is. :lol:

Nobody has even asked us if we have any names we are considering!

HappyBabyB September 1st, 2013 07:29 PM

How annoying! Sorry they're doing that, I know it doesn't help you guys decide any faster. They obviously don't understand that.

FairyDustMom September 1st, 2013 07:31 PM

Another irritating thing families do with names... when they mispronounce or spell it wrong all the time!!! Anyone get that or am I the only one here?

Minilegs September 1st, 2013 08:17 PM

that's weird. The only one I would picture doing that was my Mom...she used to threaten to call my baby whatever name/nickname she wanted if she hated the name I picked LOL. It was my Mom though, not family members.

jadeunicorn September 1st, 2013 08:21 PM

Annoying people. Tell them to mind their own business and you'll tell them a name when you settle on one. :p

ducksaresnazzy September 1st, 2013 08:25 PM

are they at least names you're considering? when i was thinking of Siren my aunt latched onto that and still calls my baby that to this day, when EVERYONE else has climbed on board the Eve Express.

HorseGal September 1st, 2013 08:35 PM

My mom and step dad did that with my DS1. We called him baby W for a long time to hide the name and they decided they knew what the W was for and called him by that name. When we finally announced the name they then told me they liked their idea better. :rolleyes:

FairyDustMom September 1st, 2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseGal (Post 27625914)
My mom and step dad did that with my DS1. We called him baby W for a long time to hide the name and they decided they knew what the W was for and called him by that name. When we finally announced the name they then told me they liked their idea better. :rolleyes:

I don't even know what to say to that.. Sighs

chelseamb September 1st, 2013 11:33 PM

Ugh family lol! That's why we won't tell them an official name. We made the mistake of telling some options and my mom has been msging me with her ideas for a month now!

LABs September 1st, 2013 11:43 PM

I would throw a fit! My brother who I adore, decided to nickname my baby! I told him to knock it off. I finally told him if he didn't stop he wasn't invited over! Now cute nicknames that have nothing to do with their name I'm fine with, but don't mess with my kids actual name! My brother calls all my kids by cutesie Japanese words that are endearments in Japan and that's cool. He speaks fluent Japanese and its adorable. No one is allowed to nickname or shorten my kids names!

CutlassDiva September 1st, 2013 11:58 PM

ugh how irritating! I have co workers who insist that baby is going to be named after them.....

BlessednHighlyFavored September 2nd, 2013 02:57 AM

It's funny how overly excited family can be sometimes.

outtheblue September 2nd, 2013 06:17 AM

Lordy...reminds me of my DH's family. :rolleyes:

~Kris~ September 2nd, 2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyDustMom (Post 27625821)
Another irritating thing families do with names... when they mispronounce or spell it wrong all the time!!! Anyone get that or am I the only one here?

My Grandma misspells Lukas most of the time, using a c instead of a k. But she's 80 so she gets a pass. ;) I'm just glad she's around and acknowledges his birthday! Now if it were my sister or something, then I'd probably be annoyed. :lol:

Nicole B September 2nd, 2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Kris~ (Post 27626380)
My Grandma misspells Lukas most of the time, using a c instead of a k. But she's 80 so she gets a pass. ;) I'm just glad she's around and acknowledges his birthday! Now if it were my sister or something, then I'd probably be annoyed. :lol:

Ha. My grandma totally does this too. She even "warned" me this time around to give the baby a, "nice, normal name" so he won't get made fun of :lol: I told her people name their babies all sorts of things now and kids don't seem to get teased about it.

I don't even know what to say about people naming your baby before you do lmao! That is insane. It would definitely irritate me to the point of speaking up about it lol.

hotpinkheels September 2nd, 2013 01:14 PM

This is why we don't tell people our baby names. Actually, I just told DH we are going to start telling people we have already decided on our two names choices and that they're set so that people can quit offering suggestions (DH Hates getting suggestions because then he feels like it wasn't our idea, we decided to go with someone else's choice, etc) so we're going to start telling people YEP! Names are set! :) But we're not telling.

DH's family doesn't do that with the names but they CONTINUALLY tell me how it's going to be a boy... refer to it as "grandson" and tell me they are hoping it's a boy. I know they'll love whatever, but honestly, it gets under my skin. People really are just so dense when it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm trying to brush it off... I know there's absolutely no ill intent behind it... just foolishness.