JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Nursery Themes, Ideas & Examples (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f283-nursery-themes-ideas-and-examples/)
-   -   Too much sunlight? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f283-nursery-themes-ideas-and-examples/1550737-too-much-sunlight.html)

Christine_D May 6th, 2009 03:11 PM

Too much sunlight?

The nursery has three large windows - we have wood blinds with sheers. Even with the wood blinds closed, the room is still really bright - especially in the morning. The room is painted a tiffany blue color.

Do you think this will 'wake' the baby up earlier? It's my first child, so thought it might be something I need to take into consideration when planning the nursery?!

Thanks for your advice!

C&K'sMama May 6th, 2009 06:28 PM

Re: Too much sunlight?

I know some babies that will sleep with lights shining right on them, but my little girl is up with the sun. We have to keep blankets (until we get a cutrain) over her window cause it's a big factor in our home!

MommaOnCloud9 May 6th, 2009 08:51 PM

I would highly recommend doing something about the sunlight. My DD has two windows in her room with a crescent window over them. We got a "blackout" shade for the crescent window (they do a great job with keeping sunlight out). Then, we have wood blinds over the windows. AND, we have a curtain over those two windows. My MIL sewed black fabric on the back of the curtain - so the side facing the room matches the nursery bedding set but the side facing the street is black. This really keeps it dark in her room even in the middle of the day.

We did the same kind of curtain for DS's nursery over the blinds.

My kids (11 months & 32 months) do not wake up until 8:30am and 9-10am, respectively. They can take naps in the middle of the day. They are both great sleepers and have been from the very beginning. My kids have not had any sleep issues and I really believe that, in a great part, it is due to their dark bedrooms.

Now, when they are playing in their rooms, I just pull the curtain back and sometimes open the blinds. I love it!

IamMom May 8th, 2009 07:32 PM

Christine - you will not know how the windows and sun will affect the baby until you have the baby - truth. Harrison was never bothered by lights etc. but he does prefer to have his door closed tight and no lights (no nightlight his specific instructions). There was a big street light outside of both his window in VA and NC and just faux wood blinds were fine for him to sleep enough. Some babies are more disturbed. You could always get black out shades or liners for drapes - just google "black out shades for nursery" or something like that and you'll find tons....I'm sure they even make some that don't seem real heavy and buliky.

Good luck!

C&K'sMama May 10th, 2009 05:28 PM

You know you can get blackout Curtains at Walmart and they work great like 13.00 per panel, then they're pretty and you can draw them back or close them depending on you little on'es preferances.

MommaOnCloud9 April 18th, 2010 10:14 PM

*bump*

Good question and information.

Jodi Dawn April 24th, 2010 07:29 PM

We keep the bedrooms pretty dark at night and in the early am

FamilyShorty April 26th, 2010 11:58 AM

I agree that blackout curtains will be your friend. :smile: