JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   late in the game but i failed my 1 hr glucose test :( (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2577778-late-game-but-i-failed-my-1-hr-glucose-test.html)

bostoncreampie September 26th, 2012 10:23 AM

late in the game but i failed my 1 hr glucose test :(

I am SO cranky today.

I am already totally overwhelmed about this birth, and now I get a call saying I failed my 1 hr glucose test and am anemic.

I am late at taking the glucose test because I was uninsured for so long, so this week is when I was able to do it. I go tomorrow for the 3 hour one. And I cannot believe I am anemic, I have been loading up on iron supplements in anticipation of losing extra blood like I always do. :mellow:

I am so so so so stressed out. I am meeting with an OBGYN on Friday for a second opinion. I feel like I need anti-anxiety medication until baby is here. I am not coping well at all.

Kansascity kitty September 26th, 2012 10:41 AM

Re: late in the game but i failed my 1 hr glucose test :(

HUGE hugs :dothug:, everything will work out, take a huge deep breath one step at a time. Bet u pass the three hour. I know these things make us bonkers and turn us into crazy rampaging chics. HUGS again.

kaylarayne September 26th, 2012 11:12 AM

Oh my goodness you poor thing. All I can really think to do is send you a great big hug!!! Wishing you lots of luck.

bostoncreampie September 26th, 2012 11:30 AM

Of course after I posted that my 4 year old started complaining of heart pain and fatigue so we are at the waiting room of the Dr. My poor blood pressure must be through the roof.

kristap4 September 26th, 2012 11:40 AM

(((((HUGS))))) I am sorry you are dealing with all this.... Things have a way of working out for the best.. A lot of women fail the 1 hr and pass the 3 hr, so try to stay positive.

Kansascity kitty September 26th, 2012 12:03 PM

I hope everything is alright.......KUP.

doremi September 26th, 2012 12:05 PM

I'm so sorry, Kristen! A few more weeks and this will all be over. I hope your daughter is okay too!

bostoncreampie September 26th, 2012 12:34 PM

Walter is fine, they think it's acid reflux and we have a referral to a GI dr at Children's.

The rest of the day has been deemed a TV day in bed.

Kansascity kitty September 26th, 2012 12:40 PM

So glad its nothing serious (though reflux sucks). Praying for your little guy.

ShawnaCAN September 26th, 2012 12:41 PM

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear there's more to worry about. Lots of prayers and enjoy TV day in bed!!!! Sounds like the perfect way to get through the rest of today!

yashobo September 26th, 2012 12:55 PM

Hugs Kristen. Glad your son is okay though. Hopefully you'll sail through the 3 hour test. What dosage of the iron are you on? Maybe up the dosage a bit. Hope you get good report on friday.

bostoncreampie September 26th, 2012 01:04 PM

I'm taking my prenatal which has around 27 mg and then I've been taking 2 additional pills of 65 mg each, as well as Floradix liquid iron's daily recommended dose, which is supposed to be easily absorbed by the body.

:(

JillMama September 26th, 2012 01:18 PM

Oh Kristen, I'm so sorry that u have this added stress! :( I failed my 1hr then passed the 3, I'm sure you will too!!!!! So sorry :(. And glad your little boy is ok!

yashobo September 26th, 2012 01:21 PM

That seems sufficient and is close to what I am currently taking. With dd I took one tablet that had 375mg but with this pregnancy I am on one that is 150mg in addition to what is in my prenatal. Maybe they may recommend a higher dosage; don't know what the safest (high) dosage is. Hugs.

LucilleTwo September 26th, 2012 03:37 PM

The recommendation for iron deficiency anemia is 50-100mg of elemental iron 3 times a day so it sounds like what you are taking is right at the lower end. I'm assuming that the 65 mg pills are the amount of elemental iron and not the iron salts. I looked on the Floradix website and their amount of elemental iron in one dose is 10mg. I take two 300mg pills of Ferrous fumarate a day which is equivalent to about 200mg of elemental iron.

Good luck. I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you. :(

Did they tell you what your hemoglobin is?

**Jenn** September 26th, 2012 03:44 PM

Ugh, when it rains it pours. :( I'm so sorry you have another added stress on top of everything else. I bet you do pass the 3 hour though! And I'm really glad Walter is ok, that's scary.

I was told I'm anemic too when I did the glucose test but I can't remember how much extra iron I'm taking. I'm actually really bad at taking it because it makes me horrendously constipated, like need a suppository just to go kind of constipated. Trying to make up for it by eating more iron rich foods.

zubeldia September 26th, 2012 04:45 PM

Oh, K, I am so, so sorry. I'm so surprised by both the results.... hopefully you'll pass the 3 hour test. Sounds as though you could do with some more rest - and so more TV in bed days. Everyone will survive.

How can we support you and help you get through the anxiety? Thinking of you.

bryan and nina September 27th, 2012 03:56 AM

Oh man Kristen! :( You did NOT need that on top of everything else... SO sorry!! :bighug: I failed the 1 hr test as well. Passed the 3 hr one. You will too! Those tests are so unreliable! When I was reading about them I think it had said that 70% of women would get a different test result if they were to retake the 1 hr one... Don't sweat it. You will pass it and you'll be one step closer to being done with this pregnancy. :)

I can't believe the anemia part either! Wow. Good thing you are already taking supplements. Maybe up those?
I'll be thinking of you today!!!!!!! :hug:

LoverlyJules September 27th, 2012 04:07 AM

Sorry, Kristen! Rest up, mama. You are almost there!! :bighug: