JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Footling breech and ECV procedure. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2578090-footling-breech-and-ecv-procedure.html)

Lindre September 27th, 2012 08:17 AM

Footling breech and ECV procedure.

Just found out during a growth check yesterday that baby has flipped and is now a footling breech. I've been given the option of trying a EVC procedure at the hospital to try and turn her or schedule a c-section for next week :/ I'm just really torn on what to do. I have to get back to my OB later today since this has to be done asap. Does anyone have any experience with this procedure? The stats worry me a little bit, but so does the thought of going in for a cesarean. I hit up google when I got back from my appointment and that might have been a bad call :frown: I read somewhere that the baby presenting this way so late in the game could be an indicator that there's an impairment so now I'm nervous about that. At the same time I have to wonder if it's just me and the way I'm shaped, because my daughter never dropped and she was so cramped that she ended up with moderate to severe torticollis.

Also, if anyone has any tips on ways to get this baby to try and turn back around on her own that'd be much appreciated! My husband was looking at me like I was kooky when I was laying with my feet up and a bag of frozen peas on my belly, but I'm willing to try anything :lol:

doremi September 27th, 2012 08:22 AM

Re: Footling breech and ECV procedure.

The spinning babies website would be worth looking at. Have you considered trying a vaginal delivery? Footling breach is the easiest of the breech positions to delivery vaginally. Part of my decision if I were in your shoes would be whether I planned to have more children. If this was my last, I might opt for the c/s. If I knew I wanted more, I would be more likely to attempt the version. Good luck with your choice! That's a tough call to make!

kaylarayne September 27th, 2012 08:30 AM

Ditto to Sarah!

Lindre September 27th, 2012 09:00 AM

Thanks, that's a really good point. I've said that this is my last, but part of me doesn't quite feel done. I think I'm going to set up the appointment and see how comfortable I feel with the practioner and his/her level of experience. I'd consider a vaginal delivery with a frank breech, but the risk of cord prolapse, nuchal arms and head getting stuck is just much too high with a footling. Why'd she have to be such an acrobat :what:

**Jenn** September 27th, 2012 09:54 AM

My last baby was frank breech and we got her to turn with the help of at home exercises (spinning babies) and the chiropractor (Websters technique). No one in my area will deliver a breech baby even though frank breech is the best breech position to deliver in. I wouldn't be comfortable at all trying a vaginal delivery with a footling breech. I also just wasn't comfortable with the idea of the ECV, not sure I would have gone that route. She turned head down just shy of 37 weeks and if she hadn't we would have had the version talk and potentially done it at 38 weeks.

My cousin was faced with the same situation with her first except he was footling breech. She also wasn't comfortable with the version and tried everything under the sun to get him to turn. She had her scheduled section at 41 weeks hoping he'd turn but he didn't. She did have a very successful VBAC with her second a few months ago.

bostoncreampie September 27th, 2012 10:19 AM

that sucks, i'm sorry. i would look in to the webster technique with a chiro.

Shamogue September 27th, 2012 10:43 AM

My friends at yoga have had good luck with acupuncture (from someone who specializes in pregnancy) and a chiropractor for the Webster technique. Also any exercises like cat-cow/ down dog in yoga that use gravity to encourage the baby to shift. Whatever you decide to do, the very best of luck!!

delaney24 September 27th, 2012 01:13 PM

Sarah made some good points....and yes, get on the spinning babies website! Try the forward leaning inversion exercise especially. I hope she can turn for you on her own. I have not done much reading on the version procedures so I can't give input there but I hope everything works out well whatever you decide to do. Sorry you're having to deal with this stress :(

Amy B. September 27th, 2012 01:14 PM

Lurking from the March '13 DDC. My first was breech (not sure which position), and I tried the ECV. I had an epidural first, then they (at least 2 doctors/nurses) tried pushing on the outside of my belly while turning it and using an ultrasound. Despite having had the epi, it hurt like crap! It felt like someone was cutting me open with a knife. On top of that, it didn't work. I was 38w5d and had a section at 39w5d. If you can do some home exercises, try that. Otherwise, c-sections really aren't too bad. I'll be having my fourth this time around.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I don't recommend trying an ECV.