JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Question for btdt moms about breastfeeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2605009-question-for-btdt-moms-about-breastfeeding.html)

bryan and nina December 13th, 2012 01:07 AM

Question for btdt moms about breastfeeding

Jill's teething thread got me thinking... If you're one of the "unlucky" moms and your lo sprouts teeth at, say, 4 months, how do you still breastfeed?? Won't the teeth be hurting your nipple??

JillMama December 13th, 2012 02:40 AM

Re: Question for btdt moms about breastfeeding

Oh my goodness... What if they want to use your nipple as a teething toy... I'm scared.

ashley5 December 13th, 2012 04:00 AM

It can hurt, but my experience is it really wasn't that bad. I had a worse picture and imagined it being really bad. My daughter got her front teeth early about 5months old i believe. While bfing the teeth do not get in the way or make it hurt. The problem was her biting sometimes, and if she bit me on purpose or accident I would pull her off and tell her no biting that hurts mommy. After a couple of times of pulling her off when she did bite she got the hint that hey if I do this she's gonna take my milk away and she didn't like that. the only other time she would bite is when she was falling asleep while nursing.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's really not that bad. Like I said my imagination was much worse then what it actually was. For me the worst part wasn't the teething, but when she got older and wanted to move all over the place sometimes. It's like I was jungle gym for her while she tried to nurse, and I only nursed her for roughly 18months.

bryan and nina December 13th, 2012 04:12 AM

Only 18 months?!? That's pretty awesome in my
Book!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing; the jungle gym while nursing gave me a hilarious mental image. :D
Falling asleep when nursing is really my big concern because that's when Emmy starts "chomping". She'll make these really quick movements with her jaw, like she's nibbling something. Lol.
Well you eased my mind some. I was just curious how teeth impact the nursing relationship.

hiskid1324 December 13th, 2012 04:25 AM

I agree, teeth are pretty much no real problem. When she starts teething she will likely start occasionally chewing at the breast, so use that time before she has teeth to train her not to bite when nursing. That way by the time the teeth are in she will be unlikely to bite. :)

bryan and nina December 13th, 2012 04:28 AM

Awesome suggestion!! Thank you. :)

ashley5 December 13th, 2012 05:53 AM

When I noticed my daughter falling asleep while nursing I would pull her off gently and rock a little bit and she'd pass out. She always fell asleep nursing that's so it wasn't too bad when teeth came in, i just had to pay attention more and notice her signs when she got sleepy. lol yeah the jungle gym part can be interesting, b/c they want to play and nurse at the same time. I guess that's why they make those nursing necklaces for them to play with while feeding. Glad your mind is a little at ease. I'm sure you'll run into interesting bumps in the bfing road, but that's all apart of it:]

Lav December 13th, 2012 06:08 AM

My mom had to stop bfing my younger sister when her teeth came in at 7 months because she kept biting her and it hurt my mom too much to go on. She says she really regretted that.
But I was told by a LC to not "jump" when they bite and it hurts, because that'll make them want to do it more and on purpose to get that same reaction again from mommy. I was told by the LC to gently take her off the nipple and say "mommy is not for biting". Kind of like what Ashley described :)

Tiffany8620 December 13th, 2012 09:09 AM

I didn't have any trouble with Riley having teeth while we nursed, but I asked my sister once whose nursed both my nieces with teeth and she said it's never been a problem. I think it depends on the baby. Not all are biters.

bryan and nina December 13th, 2012 09:12 AM

Ashley, I saw those necklaces online when I was looking at amber teething necklaces! So you think they are worth it?

Mrs.Paradise December 13th, 2012 09:51 AM

I have a mommy necklace and I love it!! Im sure Landon will love to chomp on it when hes teething! I love it because if your child pulls too hard on it it wont break because the clasp is designed to come aprt...

Jinnah December 13th, 2012 11:12 AM

It only hurts when they decide to bite on purpose. My oldest got teeth young, like 2 or 4 months. When he did, I broke the latch with my finger and told him, "No biting." He usually grinned at me after that, but he did stop.

marinewife01 December 13th, 2012 11:16 AM

My 1st son bit me while nursing and I would break the latch also and after a few times he learned and didnt bite anymore.

summithorse December 13th, 2012 11:40 AM

Yup, teeth are no problem. Miley only bit once or twice, and I just removed her from the breast and firmly said "no." That's all it took! I nursed her for 12 months. Just don't laugh or make a big deal out of it, or they want to do it more.

doremi December 13th, 2012 11:56 AM

Yeah, the biting on purpose SUCKS!! Josiah didn't do it too many times. He learned really fast not to do it when I scared him with my scream! I could usually tell when he was contemplating biting and would pull him off. The only time he really did it after learning it was a no-no was when he was mad at me.

**Jenn** December 13th, 2012 01:22 PM

Yeah teeth are no big deal. Think about it like sucking on your finger, it doesn't hurt and you have teeth.

If they would bite, on purpose or acident, I'd pull them off and say "No biting, biting hurts Mommy." Also its not uncommon to teethe fo several months before teeth actually come in. Liam started teething at just a few months old but didn't actually cut his first tooth til he was 11 months. He self weaned at 13 1/2 months. Loch self weaned at 26 months and Lila self weaned at 28 months. If teeth were an issue I guarantee I would not nurse til self weaning.

bostoncreampie December 13th, 2012 01:36 PM

A baby's suck has nothing to do with teeth. You never feel it. Take it from a mama who has nursed 2 toddlers. :thumbsup:

ashley5 December 14th, 2012 05:26 AM

yes those necklaces are great! well at least my daughter liked them a lot. as long as she had something to look at or keep her fingers busy she was fine and happy. sometime BabySteals.comŽ | Daily Deals at 9am & 9pm MT for Mom and Baby will have them on sale.

bryan and nina December 14th, 2012 06:44 AM

Thanks!!

*AngieKH* December 14th, 2012 03:23 PM

I nursed Gracie 22 months and she didn't bite much. Eli would bite as he was falling asleep so he stopped nursing sometime past a year. He wouldn't bite on purpose but I got to where I really dreaded it. He didn't seem to mind though.