JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Secure your furniture! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2611446-secure-your-furniture.html)

KMH January 4th, 2013 02:36 PM

Secure your furniture!

This is being passed around FB and other message boards. I know our babies aren't mobile yet, but now is a good time to think about taking the necessary precautions to keep them safe when they are.

This story is long and I bawled from beginning to end. If you want to read the full story, it can be found here: Love, Light, Laughter and Chocolate - One Mom's Journey: Be with me. Just for today.

If you want the short version, PLEASE secure all of your furniture and TVs to the wall. Even lightweight or shorter pieces that you think are fine can tip over and crush or suffocate a child. Everything you need can be found at Lowe's for a few dollars, or you can order safety kits from Amazon. It doesn't take long; you don't need fancy tools. Don't put it off and think you'll do it later...make it your weekend project!

cincy1luv January 4th, 2013 03:31 PM

Re: Secure your furniture!

So agree! We have been talking about getting things ready now!

doremi January 4th, 2013 04:34 PM

We had a horrible scare with this when Josiah was little, just learning to pull up on things. We had just moved into our new house, and had secured the larger pieces of furniture to the walls, but had just moved a little 3 drawer Ikea dresser into our walk in closet for me to use for clothes and shoes storage. I had just filled the bottom drawer with all of my shoes, and it was still open. I was getting some things out of a moving box to put in the other two drawers when Josiah reached out and tried to pull up using the open bottom drawer. The whole dresser tipped. Thankfully, I caught the dresser mid-air and held on for dear life while yelling for DH to come help me. All the drawers flew forward, and Josiah got hit on the head with one of them, but thankfully was ok, just scared.Needless to say EVERYTHING got bolted down after that!

bostoncreampie January 4th, 2013 04:35 PM

Thank you for this. We have a few pieces of furniture that are not secured because I assumed my kids being older would not be pulling up on things. Clearly age doesn't matter in this regard. We'll be going to Home Depot tomorrow!

Pageturner January 4th, 2013 04:37 PM

oh, heartbreaking

1InSummerland January 4th, 2013 07:06 PM

Thank you for sharing this. It made me cry. I can't imagine the pain this mother and their family must feel. We will be securing our furniture a.s.a.p.

bryan and nina January 4th, 2013 08:48 PM

Yes I read this on fb. So, so terrible. I can't imagine. We will be securing all furniture too!

Shamogue January 4th, 2013 10:42 PM

So sad! Thank you for posting, just had a chat with DH about what we need to secure.

lovely.carlie January 5th, 2013 12:24 AM

Read this on facebook as well... cried so hard..we will be securing soon enough. SOOO sad :(

KMH June 15th, 2013 02:00 PM

Bumping this...the twins are pulling up on everything, and it is a relief to know that they are safe while exploring their new skills.

If you haven't already gone thru every room in your house and secured the furniture, please do so. A little time and a few dollars can save a life :heart:

JillMama June 18th, 2013 09:06 PM

After reading the comments, I'm not sure that I could read the article =( We were just talking about baby proofing the house yesterday. I'll look up how to secure furniture right now.

doremi June 18th, 2013 11:25 PM

Yep, time to do a once over on the house. We have a few pieces that need to be secured since we rearranged some furniture between the time the house was fully baby proofed for Josiah and now. Jamison isn't pulling up just yet, but he is trying to pull open drawers, which is how we had the dresser incident with Josiah.

Jinnah June 20th, 2013 11:02 AM

I need to secure our dressers. We moved them and did not secure them, again. Thanks for the reminder.

jlstebbins June 20th, 2013 02:23 PM

So sad!!! :(