JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Head scratching---ugh! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2638317-head-scratching-ugh.html)

ellinj0206 March 27th, 2013 10:34 AM

Head scratching---ugh!

Hello All,

Alexandra has been scratching her forehead and back of her head like crazy lately! It is so bad that she draws blood. She does have a case of cradle cap (slowly but surely going away) and has some eczema on her arms. I use Aquaphor on her head daily and we bathe her every other day (sometimes every other other day if her skin looks irritated). We trim her nails nightly and I file them every morning before she goes to daycare. Regardless, she scratches!!

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone else find a solution? I don't want to put mittens on her hand as I feel she is too old and likes touching/grabbing things too much (which I think is super important).

Please help! It upsets me so much!

:-(
El

mommaof4andhalf March 27th, 2013 11:23 AM

Re: Head scratching---ugh!

I'm right there with you!!! Dillon is always tearing at his head. We put socks on his hands to keep him from leaving nasty gashes. This way, he can still itch but it doesn't cut his skin. We take them off during play time or when he is preoccupied to where he won't scratch and then put them back on when he starts.

I still haven't found a good solution to stop it all together just yet and I agree about the nails. Little daggers are never short enough.

On a side note, have you tried the aveeno baby oatmeal bath soak for the eczema?? It has done wonders on Dillon's skin. We use it every other day.

LoverlyJules March 27th, 2013 11:25 AM

Aw, poor baby! Is there a shampoo or body wash that helps with itchiness? Just a thought! Good luck! :)

Summerdays12 March 27th, 2013 11:26 AM

Yes Jonah was scratching horribly!!! He had cradle cap and eczema. Someone on here gave me wonderful advice and it worked. I applied 1% hydrocortisone to his scalp after his bath and it never returned. I first washed his hair with Mustela foaming cradle cap shampoo. I used a wash cloth to get all the flakes and yellow stuff off. After he was all dry I applied the hydrocortisone to his scalp. The next day it was gone. I wash his hair everyday with the cradle cap shampoo. Now I just apply coconut oil to his scalp and I feel it's keeping the cradle cap away. His pediatrician prescribed Absorbase cream which I put on his eczema and it's completely gone. I sometimes put it on his scalp if I see a little flake as well.

***** forgot to add that use Dr Bronners Magic Soap for his bath and wash his clothes with it.