JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   End of the monthers, solids? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2645687-end-monthers-solids.html)

bostoncreampie April 24th, 2013 01:55 PM

End of the monthers, solids?

Those of you with younger babies, have you started solids yet? If not, when are you starting? What are you starting with? Do you have any food allergies in the family that you are worried about?

Ruby is 6 months this weekend, but I am still not sure she is ready. She is interested, but she is not sitting up on her own yet and I just don't know. Her high chair will be here on Monday, so maybe next weekend I will offer her something and see what she thinks. We'll do a combo of baby food and table food and see what she prefers. My kids hated purees, but if she loves them I will follow her lead. No food allergies in the fam so far.

Pageturner April 24th, 2013 02:01 PM

Re: End of the monthers, solids?

I started Michael at 4 months, but only a little bit here and there. Now he eats 1/2 a jar, twice a day.

marinewife01 April 24th, 2013 02:05 PM

Avrey turned 6 months this past Friday, I gave him a half container of peas last night and the night before. He did ok. I'm just gonna do a half container for dinner until he's introduced to everything and I know he can tolerate it, not sure when I'll introduce oatmeal. We don't have any food allergies in the family that I'm aware of.

LoverlyJules April 24th, 2013 04:30 PM

Madalyn just turned 6 months. No food yet. I don't want to give up just breastfeeding her yet! :(

I do have celiac disease, so I will avoid gluten for Madalyn until she's older.

She can sit unassisted for a couple minutes, but she's still wobbly.

bryan and nina April 24th, 2013 05:30 PM

Same as Jessica. :)

Emmy sits, but wobbly, and I'm not quite ready to not exclusively bf. :( I do think she is ready for foods! She is so interested and when I move something to her mouth like I'm goin to feed it to her, she opens up! :) really cute!
She turns 6 months on Thursday. I keep going back and forth wether I want to give her a little bit of something or if I want to wait until after her next appointment which is mid may. She will actually be almost 7 months old then!

We do have allergies; my cousin has EE, a severe case, so the pedi recommended holding off on any grains until she is closer to a year old. We will be doing fruits and veggies in the mean time.

Zukin April 24th, 2013 07:11 PM

when you say table food what type of table food?

i started her at 4.75 months.... but we haven't been keeping up the feedings. I usually do it myself, though. I'm hoping to keep it regularly soon.

zubeldia April 24th, 2013 07:16 PM

Charlie is over 6 months old and can sit up but he's not terribly interested. He's gummed a bit of avocado and banana but I don't think more than a tiny, tiny bit was ingested. I think he'll be more ready in a few weeks. I love EBW :)

bostoncreampie April 24th, 2013 08:04 PM

By table food I mean food I've prepared for my family from scratch that's low in sodium and healthy... spaghetti, meatloaf, whatever we are eating. I'll probably start offering that in a month or two.

Zukin April 24th, 2013 08:07 PM

interesting. I didnt know you could feed them yet, since they dont have teeth.... lol

KMH April 24th, 2013 08:13 PM

Zukin, it is amazing what they can mash with their gums :) You can also do the mashing yourself with something like this...just take whatever the family is having and make it baby-friendly:

Amazon.com: OXO Tot Baby Food Masher, Green: Baby

hiskid1324 April 24th, 2013 08:22 PM

We haven't officially introduced solids, but she's swiped a few things (brussels sprouts, kale, sweet potatoes, macaroni noodles, banana, avocado) and gotten a few tastes. I don't plan to actually *feed* solids to her until her pincer grasp is good and preferably not until she is around 12 months.

Belita April 24th, 2013 08:31 PM

We started last week. I'd given Sean a breast milk popsicle and he did very well with it. He didn't have any tongue thrust and only some dribbled onto his chin and the bib. The rest went in his mouth. He's also able to sit up unassisted. Since he was showing those signs of readiness and he has been showing interest, we let him get started but he doesn't get them every day and he doesn't eat enough to cut out a nursing session yet either.

He's had sweet potatoes, avocados, and bananas. There are no food allergies that we know of in either of our families.

myfavoriteshoes April 26th, 2013 01:42 PM

I've been trying for the past 2 days (he is 6 months in 2 days) and he doesnt want anything to do with solids... So I'm gonna wait another week or two and try again.

As for allergies, yes, but it's stuff we don't consume in the house anyway (dairy, fish)... We're vegan, so no dairy, eggs, fish, meat or any animal by-products (that includes honey and gelatin and rennet...etc) so we're used to feeding on a stricter "diet". No issues there for when Eli decides he wants food. We will do fruits and veggies in a jar for a few weeks and try BLW at the same time. I dont want to do it 100% so we will try to do a bit of both.

AltMommy April 26th, 2013 01:58 PM

I think another month before we start with solids.

He's sucked on a piece of cantaloupe and gnawed a very small piece of banana, but that's it. I just let him experiment with the flavors, but he didn't really "eat" either of them.

He's the youngest baby here, so we still have a while. I'm doing baby led weaning for the most part so when he can sit up better i'll start giving him little chunks of things.

1InSummerland April 26th, 2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltMommy (Post 27319013)
I think another month before we start with solids.

He's sucked on a piece of cantaloupe and gnawed a very small piece of banana, but that's it. I just let him experiment with the flavors, but he didn't really "eat" either of them.

He's the youngest baby here, so we still have a while. I'm doing baby led weaning for the most part so when he can sit up better i'll start giving him little chunks of things.

That's pretty much where we are, too. Jude has experimented with several things but isn't really eating solids yet - aside from one teething cookie that I gave him to play with which he devoured :o. I'm in no hurry about starting him on solids regularly.

Actually, I'm about to post in the FB group about some crap I had to listen to today about how Jude is going to starve and be anemic if I don't give him baby meats. This was from a nutritionist. Um... no, lady. He's still BFing. He's not going to starve. And flesh is not the only source of iron or protein. :mad: /miniventover

zubeldia April 26th, 2013 07:06 PM

We're vegan and so far neither of our big boys have withered away :)

SLP83 April 27th, 2013 08:18 AM

Nora's been getting cereal the past few days... Not so interested in rice but seems to like oatmeal. We'll start a veggie today...carrots I think because I have some in the fridge. Not making a big deal out of it, I'll introduce new things every week but I won't push anything.

I'm a vegetarian, people ask all the time if I plan on "letting" her eat meat, like it would be depriving her if I chose to give her beans/lentils/tofu. The thought of "baby meats" from a jar makes me want to vomit, blech.

Truthfully Im not opposed to her trying meat as she grows and we give her more table food, but Im not going to change the way I cook (which is 99% meat free).

AltMommy April 27th, 2013 09:47 AM

I'll be raising Ares mostly vegan (i eat seafood, but avoid any other meats, animal byproducts, dairy,etc.) It's funny when people think it's depriving your child of something they "need" or "want".. Babies don't have an innate desire to eat meat.. That's all in our heads. It's all about what they grow up with and what they are used to. Plus I cook vegan food for my meat eating family and friends all the time and they can almost never tell a difference ;)

bostoncreampie April 27th, 2013 09:41 PM

We gave Ruby a few bites of sweet potato baby food tonight because we were eating and she was seeming really interested and we had a jar in the cabinet. She loved it, she opened her mouth and shoved the spoon in there. Today it was just for fun though...not sure when I will try again. Maybe in a few days.

SLP83 April 28th, 2013 07:16 AM

FYI...carrots were an epic fail. Definitely gagged them back up :-/