JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Breastfeeding mamas (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2646393-breastfeeding-mamas.html)

AltMommy April 27th, 2013 11:48 AM

Breastfeeding mamas

What do you do when you want an energy boost? I don't drink any caffeine, one because I don't really like how jittery it makes me and two I don't want Ares to get any through my milk.

Just wanted to share two natural things that seriously keep me energized all day and have no caffeine.. Chia seeds and Maca powder. They are actually really good for you too. :) On the mornings I feel really tired I make a smoothie with almond milk, cacao powder, banana, maca powder, and chia seeds. It tastes just like a chocolate banana milkshake, is good for you, and is like caffeine without the jittery-ness. If you're like me and don't do caffeine you should try it. It's been a lifesaver for me after many sleepless nights ;)

bostoncreampie April 27th, 2013 09:38 PM

Re: Breastfeeding mamas

thankfully, coffee doesn't seem to bother ruby at all. I LOVE COFFEE!!!

Belita April 27th, 2013 09:56 PM

Nothing but trying to keep active. I don't like coffee and caffeine calms me down anyways so no point in using it for a pick-me-up.

hiskid1324 April 28th, 2013 10:58 AM

Hate to tell you this, but cocoa powder (cocoa bean products in general, actually) has caffeine. Astutely not as much as coffee or soft drinks, but it isn't caffeine free. I love making a similar shake though! :)

doremi April 28th, 2013 01:34 PM

I was going to say the same thing about the cacao powder not being caffeine free :) I allow myself one split shot of espresso or a half cup of caffeinated coffee per day. More than that keeps me up. If I want a boost without the caffeine, I go for foods high in protein.

SLP83 April 28th, 2013 08:35 PM

Good advice, thanks, I really should be trying some alternatives...

Unfortunately, I never fully kicked the coffee habit. It's a vice Im still allowing myself. There's just something about that cup of coffee to start my day. Thankfully it doesn't bother Nora.

doremi April 28th, 2013 09:39 PM

I actually was not a daily coffee drinker until I had two kids. I've always loved coffee, but now it is my special little thing I can still do for "me" in the mornings. Josiah gets his cartoon, Jamison gets time in the jumperoo, and Mama gets her half cup of coffee with a splash of whole milk :)

JillMama April 28th, 2013 09:42 PM

I'm a coffee drinker for sure!

yashobo April 29th, 2013 03:44 AM

I don't do coffee. I used to eat m & m peanuts when I feel totally sapped by breastfeeding but I am over that these days.