JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Solids - feeding schedule (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2656275-solids-feeding-schedule.html)

Jinnah June 5th, 2013 10:06 AM

Solids - feeding schedule

How are solids going? What does your little one eat? What is their favorite? Do you have a feeding schedule?

We had a rough start to solids (when I mixed the cereal with formula - which he'd never had - and vomited so much we had to go to the hospital). I went back to mixing the cereal with water, and we've had no problems since! Yay!

Elijah loves all of it. I think his favorite is sweet potatoes and squash, but he happily eats it all. Well, except for the meats. Those are nasty. I'll have to do homemade meat for him. He gags so hard (because it's nasty) that he throws it up.

Do you have a feeding schedule? How much does your baby eat? We started off slower, so I only give Elijah 1-2 meals (of solids) per day. In the morning he has cereal mixed with a half jar of fruit. For dinner he'll eat one jar of veggies or 1/2 jar of veggies with 1/2 jar fruit. I'll start adding in lunch very soon. I'm just trying to make sure my milk supply doesn't drop too much. He wakes up to drink all night long because we co-sleep.

marinewife01 June 5th, 2013 10:26 AM

Re: Solids - feeding schedule

My lil guy isn't liking solids at all. He will only eat a couple spoons of whatever I'm feeding him, peas is a no go period. He like little bites of table food I've given him better.

Jinnah June 5th, 2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinewife01 (Post 27423399)
My lil guy isn't liking solids at all. He will only eat a couple spoons of whatever I'm feeding him, peas is a no go period. He like little bites of table food I've given him better.

It's okay! He'll start eating more when he feels like it, lol. Some days Elijah doesn't want much, either.

Mich05 June 5th, 2013 12:55 PM

we had a rough start too! Mathieu wasn't ready until after 7 months old (whereas my daughter was ready at 5.5 months)... i started and stopped 3 times before he finally showed he was ready. He is doing pretty good - he generally gets cheerios or toast for "breakfast" and baby cereal and a veggie for lunch and baby cereal and a veggie for supper. he also gets mum mums and cheerios and baby finger food throughout the day. he really doesn't eat very much solids as this point. he is much more interested in feeding himself so that is where we are headed.

Jinnah June 5th, 2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich05 (Post 27423931)
we had a rough start too! Mathieu wasn't ready until after 7 months old (whereas my daughter was ready at 5.5 months)... i started and stopped 3 times before he finally showed he was ready. He is doing pretty good - he generally gets cheerios or toast for "breakfast" and baby cereal and a veggie for lunch and baby cereal and a veggie for supper. he also gets mum mums and cheerios and baby finger food throughout the day. he really doesn't eat very much solids as this point. he is much more interested in feeding himself so that is where we are headed.

How did you start the Cheerios? Does he ever gag? That's neat that he likes to feed himself.

I haven't tried finger foods, yet. I think we waited until closer to one for our older dc... hard to remember the exact age.

Summerdays12 June 5th, 2013 11:29 PM

Jinnah I've done a cereal similar to Cheerios. I bought organic Os and put about 10 or so in a tiny bowl and let them get soggy in breast milk. Sounds kinda gross but Jonah loved it.

yashobo June 6th, 2013 03:34 AM

We do solids 3 times a day just because Luyando does not love her breastmilk from the bottle and I go work. She likes her solids; I think her best is sweet potatoes, carrot, and two other veggies mixed together. She has that for lunch; for breakfast she eats cereal with apple sauce and in the evening we she eats spinach, peas, and apple mixed together.

Mich05 June 6th, 2013 06:34 AM

so i remember being nervous about cheerios with my daughter and a friend told me they just naturally know to gum it. and it's true. put a cheerio in your mouth, it melts! but i find theactual cheerios are better than the "baby" nutrios they don't melt as easily (but have less salt)..
i just put a bunch in front of him (either on the floor or in high chair) and he puts them in his own mouth. when we first started 95% or more ended up on the floor but now he is really good at getting them in his mouth. i never put them in his mouth for him. he also eats those stars (puffs i think) on his own and i break toast into little pieces the size of cheerios. again i never put in his mouth for him. (other than purees of course, lol) he has never choked or gagged from it.

Jinnah June 6th, 2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerdays12 (Post 27425552)
Jinnah I've done a cereal similar to Cheerios. I bought organic Os and put about 10 or so in a tiny bowl and let them get soggy in breast milk. Sounds kinda gross but Jonah loved it.

I'm going to try it! I have new pump, so I'm able to pump BM. Yay!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashobo (Post 27425661)
We do solids 3 times a day just because Luyando does not love her breastmilk from the bottle and I go work. She likes her solids; I think her best is sweet potatoes, carrot, and two other veggies mixed together. She has that for lunch; for breakfast she eats cereal with apple sauce and in the evening we she eats spinach, peas, and apple mixed together.

What a good appetite!! :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich05 (Post 27425973)
so i remember being nervous about cheerios with my daughter and a friend told me they just naturally know to gum it. and it's true. put a cheerio in your mouth, it melts! but i find theactual cheerios are better than the "baby" nutrios they don't melt as easily (but have less salt)..
i just put a bunch in front of him (either on the floor or in high chair) and he puts them in his own mouth. when we first started 95% or more ended up on the floor but now he is really good at getting them in his mouth. i never put them in his mouth for him. he also eats those stars (puffs i think) on his own and i break toast into little pieces the size of cheerios. again i never put in his mouth for him. (other than purees of course, lol) he has never choked or gagged from it.

That's great that he's eating on his own so well.

JillMama June 6th, 2013 07:52 PM

Jett LOVES food, he still loves to nurse too, so we're still on every 3-4hrs on the breast.
He eats everything from purees to finger foods. After he nurses in the morning he gets baby oatmeal with fruit, or some banana or peach, or whatever someone is eating that wants to share with him. At daycare he gets a few oz between bottles in the afternoon, and some gram crackers or puffs or cherrios to play with, and between nursing at night he sometimes gets some food, either what we're eating or a veggie baby food.

SLP83 June 7th, 2013 05:23 AM

I give Nora solids 2-3 times a day, but it's really just for fun still. She eats a few bites of fruits/veggies and loses interest. She does eat a more significant amount of oatmeal in the evening, though, which I think is helping her sleep a bit better. Not every night though, we are still up plenty sometimes :)

Jinnah June 7th, 2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JillMama (Post 27428293)
Jett LOVES food, he still loves to nurse too, so we're still on every 3-4hrs on the breast.
He eats everything from purees to finger foods. After he nurses in the morning he gets baby oatmeal with fruit, or some banana or peach, or whatever someone is eating that wants to share with him. At daycare he gets a few oz between bottles in the afternoon, and some gram crackers or puffs or cherrios to play with, and between nursing at night he sometimes gets some food, either what we're eating or a veggie baby food.

Elijah is still doing tons of nursing. He wakes often during the night to eat. I don't see him sleeping through the night for a long time.

bostoncreampie June 8th, 2013 06:56 PM

She hates food. So she eats like a baby spoonful three times a week and then locks her lips until next time.

Jinnah June 8th, 2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostoncreampie (Post 27432882)
She hates food. So she eats like a baby spoonful three times a week and then locks her lips until next time.

LOL, how cute.