JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   I feel stuck in a rut... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2665734-i-feel-stuck-rut.html)

bryan and nina July 15th, 2013 07:19 AM

I feel stuck in a rut...

Food wise! Emmy can't have any grains until she's 1- 1 1/2 years old because of a family history of allergies. So our food sources are somewhat limited but she's been getting fruit and veggie purées; once or twice a day.
My main issue is that I have no idea how to transition from purées to "pieces" of stuff. I try some BLW but she never eats any of it! I've tried banana, avocado, steamed and fresh apple.. Everything just gets smushed. She gummed a fresh apple slice one time, managed to get a chunk off and choked on it! It was terrifying. Yesterday, I held a wedge of watermelon and let her gum it; same thing! She gummed off a small piece and choked. :( So now I'm nervous and just don't know. Is she not ready for chunks?
I see some of our babies, like Jett, and they are doing so great! Chunks of pancakes etc. we are SO far from that! And I feel stuck. :(
I read black beans and chickpea halves are good BLW foods but I'm terrified to give them to her. Any advice for a super paranoid mama?? :(

bostoncreampie July 15th, 2013 07:54 AM

Re: I feel stuck in a rut...

I forgot that you are a vegetarian, I was going to say look in to the paleo diet.

Larabars are really yummy, I have seen recipes for them online, maybe try those. Also search for paleo snacks and I'm sure you'll find grain free recipes for other bars.

Ruby chokes on everything too, so I cut it in to pea size pieces and feed it to her on my finger. She loves watermelon like that. She likes soft meats too, but unfortunately that's no help to you.

Maybe try cooking veggies or even apples in the crockpot so they ate very soft?

Also, don't forget that it's all for fun right now. It's not like pancakes, cheerios and grains are healthy, so she's not missing out. Smoothing it around is part of the process.

KMH July 15th, 2013 09:02 AM

What about using a food masher like this: Amazon.com: OXO Tot Baby Food Masher, Green: Baby I use that, and it makes food chunkier than purees, but there are no big chunks that they can choke on. We use it on things like sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkin, eqqplant, beans/chickpeas, etc. Or how about eggs or fish ( I can't remember if you eat fish and eggs or not)? Really flaky white fish like swai or tilapia doesn't have much texture at all.

And like Kristen said...if she's not enjoying the chunkier things, that's okay! It's all for fun at this age, and one of these days she'll decide she likes it.

I have also found that sometimes taking a break for a few days and then coming back to solids can really help.

You are doing a great job, Nina...try not to stress! :hug:

Jinnah July 15th, 2013 09:47 AM

I'm not a fan of BLW and that is why. Hard fruits and veggies are not recommended until they are much older than this (you can google search this). I think the above two suggestions are great.

marybethsmom July 15th, 2013 10:41 AM

Do you have one of the mesh feeders? I've been giving Meghan all kinds of fruits in it and she loves it! Kind of messy, but gives me piece of mind.

Summerdays12 July 15th, 2013 10:58 AM

Black beans are really easy for Jonah to eat. I was really scared at first also. He would gag so much. The first food that he did really well with was steamed broccoli. I steamed it until it just mushed up when he touched it. Some made it into his mouth but most of it didn't!! He enjoyed feeling it and exploring it more than anything.

LoverlyJules July 15th, 2013 02:08 PM

You are not alone! I feel bad when I see the pics of babies eating a bunch of stuff and feel like we are behind!

DH and I had Madalyn try puffs and even after we broke each puff into quarters she still twisted her face up and gagged. I know she's learning but it freaks me out!

We are avoiding gluten for now because of family history of Celiac, so we are a bit limited too!

yashobo July 16th, 2013 04:20 AM

Nina, don't stress about it. It eventually happens. Luyando eats but right now she will rather stick to the same thing breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals. I have tried to introduce other meals but she will not have it. She also is not interested in all the snacks I bought for her - cheerios, rusk, etc. I know she'll eventually get over herself and eat other things. I am sure Emmelyn too will.

doremi July 18th, 2013 01:13 AM

Jamison is not interested in solids. At our 9 month pedi appt. she encouraged me to sit him down each time that we were eating, and to put 2-3 items on his tray each time. To think of it as his sensory table. An empty sippy cup, a spoon, foods he can touch with his fingers. She said there are three steps to the whole learning to eat process:
1. touching/exploring with fingers
2. bringing to the mouth, usually spitting back out
3. eating

The gagging totally stresses my DH out, but it is a necessary part of the process. You will know if you are watching closely whether she needs help or is going to self-recover. The beans would be a great thing to try... I plan to do those soon with Jamison. You could also try tiny pieces of egg, either scrambled or hard boiled, a whole banana (Jamison gummed this successfully), steamed baby carrots, cooked peas, etc.

bryan and nina July 18th, 2013 06:20 AM

Thanks ladies!!! As always, you're so helpful. :heart:
Kristen, we do eat egg but no fish... Nothing with a face, like dh says. ;)
I gave her a tiny bit of soft boiled egg 2 days ago. I heard you should start slow because it's so rich. Hard boiling it is a great idea! She can pick that up. We're about to go to story time but i'll try that after we get back.
I actually Gave her half of a banana to hold and gum this am and she is always able to gum off big pieces. I panicked and swiped it out of her mouth because I know she would have choked on it! Lol. Is it too ripe??
I do have that mesh feeder; I forget to use it a lot! Lol. I will try some chickpeas in it, I bet that would work. Thank you all for the suggestions and encouragement!! :)

rlh27 July 18th, 2013 07:59 AM

*popping in from Dec PR*

Nina, I have a bunch of food allergies, and his ped told me to introduce everything I'm allergic too anyways and just closely monitor for reactions. He said it's the proneness to food allergies that can get passed down, not the specific allergies. Like I'm allergic to coconut but not eggs. He could be fine with coconut but not eggs, but it would still be my genetics that caused him to have issues. Does that make sense? Fortunately, we haven't had issues with anything yet, so I'm hoping he didn't get my proneness to food allergies. So what I'm telling you is if you're comfortable, you could go ahead and introduce some grains.

Oh, and something I've found with the mesh feeder- put frozen breastmilk cubes in it. Caleb LOVES this (and it's a great teething remedy) and it gives him the opportunity to self feed a bit.