JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/)
-   -   be careful!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1771-october-2012-playroom/2710368-careful.html)

bostoncreampie February 27th, 2014 07:23 PM

be careful!!

So Ruby is quite the active little monkey... she loves to run and climb and get in to everything. I think being a third time mom has made me laid back and I forgot how fragile these little ones are.

Last week, Ruby was climbing on a dining room chair to watch my oldest son building with Legos. She stood up on the chair, lost her footing, and fell to the ground and hit the back of her head. She cried really hard and then went totally silent and fainted. I picked her up and rushed her to my husband, at which point her eyes rolled back into her head and she went stiff and had a seizure. She was unconscious for a good minute and then came to and started vomiting everywhere. We rushed her to the hospital in an ambulance, she was really out of it. The doctor was really concerned that she responded like she did, she told me kids with concussions usually only pass out, have a seizure or vomit, but not all three. She ordered a CT scan which was really sad... they strapped her to the bed and pinned her arms down, and then had me lay on top of her and hold her head still. She screamed the whole time while I sang to her. :(

The CT scan came back good, so they watched her for 4 hours and then sent us home. She was really dizzy and bewildered for a good 2 days, napping for like 3 hours which is crazy for her as she is a terrible napper, it was very scary. We followed up with the doctor and he didn't have any concerns, he said the symptoms should go away in a week or two. It's been a week since Monday and she's totally normal. I am watching her like a hawk because I know a secondary concussion within a few months can be really bad.

It was such a scary experience, I really didn't expect that something like this would happen from falling off a chair. Hug your babies tight and keep them close. They are still so fragile and vulnerable! :(

LoverlyJules February 27th, 2014 07:34 PM

Re: be careful!!

Poor Ruby! Glad she's doing better!! They are quite resilient!!

Jinnah February 28th, 2014 06:48 AM

Awwww, I'm so sorry that happened. I am glad she is feeling better, now. How scary! I would have been scared to leave the hospital for awhile!

I was terrified when Elijah climbed up on the coffee table, turned to sit, but misjudged how much space he had so he fell off and hit the back of his head (I had just moved the coffee table off of the carpet to vacuum). It was so sad, but he just cried for a minute and was fine.

jlstebbins February 28th, 2014 07:14 PM

Oh my goodness Kristen!!! My jaw dropped reading this! How scary!

Im sooo glad that she is okay!! I will keep her in my prayers!!

yashobo March 1st, 2014 06:40 PM

Oh no, Kristen. Glad she is fine. Bless your heart.

KMH March 2nd, 2014 05:37 AM

Wow, that is so scary. I am so relieved to know that she is okay!

babymama10 March 5th, 2014 10:31 AM

Thats so awful. So how is Ruby doing now?