JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Used car seats- question and rant (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2635555-used-car-seats-question-and-rant.html)

soul_donut March 17th, 2013 08:09 PM

Used car seats- question and rant

I read they have a 6 year expiration date. Anybody get a used one for your first child? I'm not talking about reusing from one kid to the next.

My DH gets annoyed with me that I don't want to use his sister's used car seats. They will be anywhere from 3-7 years old by the time we get them. My nieces also don't have car rules - I've seen horrible things in those car seats - here is a completely melted candy bar, why not eat it in your upholstered seat and wipe your hands on it? Etc. My DH is anal about clean hands and I'm shocked he would want to inherit a piece of equipment like that whose cover can't even be removed and thoroughly cleaned. Sometimes your own dirt isn't as bad as others, you know? These are the same nieces who try and bare ***** on my white sofa. I just can't deal! I see him spend $ on things - is the safety and hygiene of your newborn not a priority?

Lotsakids March 17th, 2013 08:54 PM

Re: Used car seats- question and rant

I've owned & purchased second hand seats if I have known that they had not been in a accident previously. I don't care about eating in them, because they are easy enough for me to clean & I completely scrub the base & put the toppings through the wash a couple of times before using.
That said I will not use any equipment that has been left outside/that has mould on it, nor will I use equipment that has been smoked near.
I still have my capsule from last time, so baby will go straight in to that, & DD's seat was bought brand new, so baby will go in to that. So in reality all we will need is a new seat for DD, but wont need it until baby is 6-8 months old.

YoginiMomma March 17th, 2013 09:31 PM

I'm planning on getting a gently used 1-3 years old Orbit or stokke travel system from one of the bourgeois families over in silicon valley. I've gotten SO much nice almost brand new stuff from the rich area of town off craigslist--a BRAND new trek hybrid road bike for example. Of course I'll make sure it's clean and there are no safety recalls and all of that... but to get stroller that retails for 900 and is the highest rated for 300 is a great deal and as good IMO as buying new... I'd rather have a nice stroller used than a cheap stroller brand new.

Lemon March 18th, 2013 04:46 AM

I would not buy or use a used carseat. Most other gear I would, but carseats we buy new. :)

jamieshalon2 March 18th, 2013 05:14 AM

I have always gotten a new car seat. I am scared of the expiration dates. My babies are usually in their infant carriers for a year or more and I don't want the seat to expire while I am in the middle of using it.

Allisonjuly March 18th, 2013 05:19 AM

With #3 I didn't have an infant seat anymore and my neighbors son (first child) was growing out of his so she let me have it for $20. It was only a year old and we knew them and knew it hadn't been in an accident.

drewbears March 18th, 2013 06:24 AM

Personally wouldn't get a used carseat, because you don't know what its been through. I guess if it was family or close friends, you know. But someone could have been in an accident, in that case they are not to be used, and just sell it to a consignment shop or whatever.

We still have a baby seat, BUT it is now over 8 years old, so we can't use it. Even though it looks like its in great condition, I am not comfy using it.

Laurenj915 March 18th, 2013 06:37 AM

I have always heard that you should not get used carseats unless you know the previous owner and are 100% positive they have not been any kind of accident with that carseat that could possibly compromise your child's safety.

DH is a firefighter and pulls people out of car accidents on a weekly basis. He is a stickler for car seat safety so we buy new car seats. I will buy pretty much anything else used.

Melissa, I would not want a car seat that does not have a removable seat cover. They get disgusting. Newborns have diaper blowouts. It is just inevitable.

Wren March 18th, 2013 06:48 AM

I got new car seats for our car, but actually bought a used one for her sitter's car. I would rather get a gently used, top quality car seat than a new, cheapo car seat in that case. I figured she is not going on any long car trips on the highway in her sitter's car, just to the library or preschool and back.

Chelbell March 18th, 2013 06:50 AM

Car seats are one of the only things I wouldn't get used. Babies R Us has great trade in events every few months, so if your sister in law doesn't mind you can trade in the old car seat for a new one at 25% off.

Loni March 18th, 2013 07:03 AM

Car seats are the only thing both DH and I insist be brand new. Like other people have said it's just not save to use a used one. It could have been in an accident and have a hairline crack and you don't know. The safety of my child is worth the few extra bucks to buy a new seat.

sweety_pie March 18th, 2013 07:17 AM

Carseats are the only thing we won't buy used either. My daughter had 2 brand new seats and they are both expired now, so we will be buying new.

*Lana* March 18th, 2013 08:27 AM

Aside from the expiration dates, some people don't count minor accidents. They think they should only replace them after a major accident.
I was rear ended twice (two impacts) last Fall--I had a concussion but damage to my vehicle was under $1k. We had just come back from vacation 10 days earlier and I had thoroughly inspected the car seat for damage from having the car seat on the plane. I was torn about getting a new seat after the accident. I decided to replace--drove my daughter the 3 miles to the sitter the next day, then went to the store. When I took it out, there was a visible line where the seat belt was--you know when plastic gets damaged, it shows a discolored/lighter line--that's what it was. It was only on the one side. The frame of the seat was gray, but I'm not sure if it would have shown add much on a black frame.
I gave my infant seat to a friend--that seat had never been dropped, no accident or any type. They were happy to get it, but I doubt they were fsmiliar with what yo look for. I have 2 expired seats in my garage and the one from my accident. A handful of times a year I loan out a car seat or two when people have Grandkids visit--I will never let anyone use those (saving for the TRU trade in events). We Have 4 car seats in cars my DD rides in, so i only loan put good ones.
My parents had a seat that broke, before the expiration date, because it became brittle from the extreme heat out here.

Spyctre March 18th, 2013 09:50 AM

We had a used car seat for our first, and being in my stupid faze, I accepted the car seat. I shudder thinking about that thing now! It was left outside in storage to get hot and cold and hot and cold.

My mom bought her own car seats for the girls, and they are the only ones I feel comfortable reusing. She doesn't leave them out in her vehicle so they are constantly in a climate controlled area. We ditch our old ones. Louisiana temps have to do something to those the way they change.

Buying new this time. I'm excited to go to pick it out soon. :)

anothermother March 18th, 2013 10:24 AM

no used car seat here. I still have my daughter's infant seat, but it's expired so we'll be getting a brand new one. I won't worry about getting a convertible seat until the baby is almost a year. I like the infant seat for the winter though.

A carseat/travel system is probably the only thing I will get new. Just not worth the risk, imo.

Anitha March 18th, 2013 10:41 AM

I was thinking of using my daughter's infant seat. But after reading these posts...I am wondering if I should. It might expire in the middle of using it for baby :/

*Lana* March 18th, 2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anitha (Post 27205840)
I was thinking of using my daughter's infant seat. But after reading these posts...I am wondering if I should. IaIt might expire in the middle of using it for baby :/

That's why I gave our seat away. I wasn't even pg yet and it would have expired before baby would have been out of it. I even bought a gender neutral one so we could reuse it.

curlimama05 March 18th, 2013 01:29 PM

We're getting a new carseat. Does anyone know when TRU has their next trade-in?

curlimama05 March 18th, 2013 01:36 PM

ARGH. It was LAST MONTH.

The Purple Butterfly March 18th, 2013 03:28 PM

I NEVER buy used carseats. No way to verify whether or not it's been in an accident. I err on the side of caution when it comes to carseat safety. Just not worth saving a few dollars over.

BRU will have their next trade-in in Sept.