JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Names for the grand parents! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2639625-names-for-grand-parents.html)

soul_donut April 1st, 2013 01:33 PM

Names for the grand parents!

So! If your parents and grandparents are still with you (and your SO's of course), what will they want to be called when the new baby arrives? If you/they are BTDT, what do you and the kids call them?

My mom is still thinking it over. She thinks she's too young for "Granny" which was what her grandmother was called (she was this tiny little lady all shriveled up, totally a granny :D). I think she'll go with MomMom. My dad hasn't decided yet either. I think he'll go with PopPop or Granddad. DH's parents are already Nana and PopPop b/c they have 2 grandchildren already.

jennyrae03 April 1st, 2013 01:46 PM

Re: Names for the grand parents!

I'm not really sure yet...his parents are already grandma and grandpa, so we will probably stick with that. My mom will probably Grandma JuJu (her name is Judy, and little kids all call her JuJu). Not sure about my dad.

soul_donut April 1st, 2013 01:54 PM

My stepmom Annmarie wants to go by ReRe :) Like JuJu it has a nice ring to it!

1fabulousfem April 1st, 2013 02:23 PM

My mom is Nonna and my dad is Nonno. My grandmother in France is the only grandparent left on my side. I call her MeMe.
David's parents want to be called Nanny and Poppa and all of his grandparents are deceased.

2Corinthians10:4 April 1st, 2013 02:33 PM

My mom is nonny, my dad is poppy

My MIL is granny and FIL is pops

Effervescence April 1st, 2013 02:34 PM

My mom is Gigi and my dad is Papaw. DH's parents are just grandma and grandpa, they are very serious and thought my mom was crazy when she asked what they would want to be called. My MIL said she had never heard of any nicknames for grandparents besides Grandma and Grandpa, and thought it was odd that I called both my grandpa's "Pappy." I called one grandma Mimi and one grandma Mam. That is what my kids call them as well, but they really only see my Mimi regularly.

JessMac April 1st, 2013 04:38 PM

My mum is granny and dh parents are abuelo and abuela but I refer ti his mother as witch

CountryMedic911 April 1st, 2013 04:49 PM

Idk about my SO's mom and dad and step dad but my parents have 9 grand kids so they are already Yia Yia and Pappou

MrsHoot April 1st, 2013 04:53 PM

Mine are all grandma and grandpa, though sawyer called them meemaw and meepaw when we went to visit a few days ago! I thought it was pretty cute. :)

Lemon April 1st, 2013 04:56 PM

My ILs are just grandma and grandpa.

My mom is Nonna (Italian) (although my kids pronounce it Nah-nah) and my dad is Ricky---lol.

My grandparents are Memere (French) and Pop Pop.

anothermother April 1st, 2013 04:59 PM

Both our parents are Grammy and Grampy.

We called my grandparents Memom and Poppop. My other side was Grandma and Granddad.

mamarazzi40 April 1st, 2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessmac (Post 27248304)
my mum is granny and dh parents are abuelo and abuela but i refer ti his mother as witch

bahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

My mom is Oma and even though my dad is deceased my kids still call him Opa. My grandma is Grandma and my kids call her that too. My outlaws are Granny and PapPap-- that was before my time with my husband's 1st daughter.

*Lana* April 1st, 2013 07:21 PM

My parents are Grandma and Grandpa to all their grandkids.
My brothers in-laws go by MeeMaw and BumBum--although as the kids have gotten older I haven't heard them refer to them much by those names--usually it is"my other grandma and grandpa."
My daughter refers to DH's parents as her Grandma and Grandpa that are in heaven. DH heard that for the first time last night and was a little surprised by that.

jamieshalon2 April 2nd, 2013 04:45 AM

My mom is Gammie Ellen and dh's mom is Gammie Chrystal. My kids have no grandfathers, dh's dad unfortunately passed away and I haven't seen my dad since I was 18 years old. My grandma is nana to them and dh's grandma is NuNu to them.

Anitha April 2nd, 2013 07:13 AM

My mom and dad are 'ammachi' and 'thaatha' to my DD. And DH's parents are 'Paati and thaatha' She differentiates by referring to my DH's dad as Trichy thaatha when in third person - Trichy is the name of the place they live in :) She has met my grandma twice & my late grandpa once and DH's grandpa once. And she was too young then to call them anything. We refer to my grandma to her as 'Kollu ammachi' (great grandma)

YoginiMomma April 2nd, 2013 03:48 PM

my fiance's mom has the grandkids call her "mam-mum" which I think sounds stupid.

my grandma's growing up were grammy (last name) and grammy (last name).

my stepsiblings grandparents were Nana and Pappa which I also thought sounded stupid.

My mom doesn't really have a preference, I think I'll just let the kid name her what it wants, and she'll introduce herself as whatever she wants. but it's NOT going to be nana or mamum because those names sound like nails on a chalkboard to me.

my fiance's dad and my dad are both deceased, and i'd prefer my kid have little contact with my stepfather, so he'll be whatever also. but not pappa.

Wanta.number2 April 2nd, 2013 05:04 PM

Huh, I don't think my son calling his great grandma Nana "sounds stupid".