JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Good appt today BUT- my doctor is taking maternity leave AHHHHH!!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2640431-good-appt-today-but-my-doctor-taking-maternity-leave-ahhhhh.html)

Jackie1122 April 3rd, 2013 10:28 PM

Good appt today BUT- my doctor is taking maternity leave AHHHHH!!!

So I had a great appt today! My 3 year old acted great, and my doctor decided to do an ultrasound just for the heck of it! I got to see our little baby moving around, my son thought it was the coolest thing ever. Lost 1 pound total during the first trimester but my doctor said not to worry. So all was great and on the way out I went to schedule some future appointments. The receptionist caught me off guard when we got to August when she asked what doctor I wanted to see when mine was on maternity leave! I was like uhhhh what??? I had no idea my doctor was pregnant! I am super happy for her, but a little nervous about what this means for me. She is taking maternity leave the middle of August, and I am due the middle of October. The receptionist said she is probably taking 1 month leave, but they scheduled me with a different doctor at the end of August and didn't make any appointments after that. I thought most people took 6-8 weeks of leave, and I'm sure a doctor can afford to take whatever they want. If she took 6 weeks that would mean she would be back 2 weeks before my due date, or 8 weeks would be right at my due date. If it is not likely that she will be delivering my baby, I would prefer to see someone else. I know there is always a chance that it will be another doctor anyway, but I don't want to keep seeing the same person knowing that they probably won't be delivering, know what I mean? I would think that she would have notified the patients that she knows she will not be able to deliver out of courtesy, so I am hoping that means she plans to be back by my due date. I plan on bringing it up at my next appointment (after a congratulations of course!) but it just caught me off guard today and I had to share!

jamieshalon2 April 4th, 2013 05:35 AM

Re: Good appt today BUT- my doctor is taking maternity leave AHHHHH!!!

In my office there are 4 doctors and you get which ever one is on call that night. When I had my last son there was only 2 docs, so I get to meet 2 new ones this time. Not sure if I like that or not, but Oh well, lol. Sounds like a great appt for you otherwise though :smile:

karmaissotrue April 4th, 2013 06:35 AM

At least you know in advanced and if you decide to find someone else you have time... My Dr last time retired 2 months before I was due, never said a word to me before hand !!!!! I was on bed rest and no one would touch me, so I was stuck at the practice... I ended with another Dr & I ended up loving her but it could have been disaster

Irshtripletsmommy April 4th, 2013 12:04 PM

Interesting that she's 5. Months pregnant and not showing. It and good and bad when you have a practice with multiple docs. You don't have to wait too long and there are more docs to see for regular appointments, but yeah, you may end up with a doc you don't like for delivery. This is exactlywhat might happen to me. So if she will be on leave by your due date are you going to switch to a different office completely?

anothermother April 4th, 2013 12:14 PM

oh wow. I can imagine the shock! Hopefully it'll all work out, who knows, maybe you'll love the stand in doctor better?

Hooray for a great appointment though!

Lemon April 4th, 2013 12:24 PM

That's tough!

Maybe you can see some of the other doctors so you are familiar with them?

Jackie1122 April 4th, 2013 12:30 PM

I don't think I will be able to switch practices. I have Scott and White insurance and see the Scott and White group of doctors that deliver at the Scott and White hospital! I guess I could go to a different S&W clinic but it would be a much farther drive. I had no idea she was pregnant at all! She wears scrubs so the top is loose and didn't give any clues. I remember when I was pregnant with my son I was barely showing at my gender scan at 20 weeks though. I am surprised she didn't mention it to me during my appointment, I would have felt better if she had told me personally and explained how it would work with my pregnancy. Instead I heard from the receptionist and am now left to wonder.