JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Anyone else feel..... I guess superstitions for lack of a better word? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2644005-anyone-else-feel-i-guess-superstitions-for-lack-better-word.html)

drewbears April 17th, 2013 01:08 PM

Anyone else feel..... I guess superstitions for lack of a better word?

I know with my first baby I couldn't wait to buy things, couldn't wait to set up the baby stuff. With each pregnancy there after I have found myself not as excited to do it I guess??

Its not that I don't want to get stuff ready, but more of a fear of jinxing something. I am so afraid of having the house all set up for baby, and going into have the baby only to not return with a baby?

Maybe I am just a crazy odd ball?

That and as pregnancy goes on I don't get as excited to get things all set up cuz I have gone overdue before it was torture with a few of them having it all ready to go and only waiting on the baby to decide it was time to come out. :p

Allisonjuly April 17th, 2013 01:24 PM

Re: Anyone else feel..... I guess superstitions for lack of a better word?

It took a lot to get the pregnancy pillow and books out of the attic. I have not bought one thing for the baby even though I found out its a boy over a week ago. I still don't feel safe.

Also maybe because I already have kids I think it's silly at this point to set anything up. I probably won't until August. I'm currently using the nursery as a playroom.

anothermother April 17th, 2013 01:28 PM

I'm totally more supersitious than I should be. I made sure I didn't wear anything that I wore to the any of the ultrasounds I had Evey to the ultrasounds this time.

I don't do it on purpose but I usually just don't buy stuff until after the anatomy scan. Probably because the previous times I didn't even see the baby before then, so afterwards it felt more real. I think this time I may start buying some neutral things, like onesies. But I really like gender specific items so obviously I need to wait until after the 29th.

Wren April 17th, 2013 01:38 PM

With my first one I told everyone at 12 weeks, and now I think I might wait until the anatomy scan to tell my boss and others. Also, the baby will be sharing a room with my daughter, and we pretty much have everything we need, so there is not much to set up.

Loni April 17th, 2013 01:43 PM

I keep having dreams that I loose this baby. I'm sure a lot of it has to to with the fact that I had a miscarriage in August but I'm afraid to buy anything in case something happens to it. I guess I'll feel better after I hear the heartbeat again next week but I'm more nervous with this pregnancy than with any of my others.

WorkerBeeMama April 17th, 2013 03:41 PM

I was really paranoid and superstitious at first, but after getting nothing but rave reviews about Jane's health at all my doctor's appointments, I feel a lot better.

I still worry though and use the doppler every few days. Yesterday it took me FOREVER to find the heartbeat and luckily I wasn't totally panicked. It took like 15 minutes. Once I found it though it was great and perfect.

Lotsakids April 17th, 2013 05:58 PM

Not superstitious here at all. If I see something that I think would be handy for the baby, (generally second hand,) I pick it up anyways. Have done right since I first found out. I've always figured that if I lost the pregnancy I'd just move the stuff on.

Irshtripletsmommy April 17th, 2013 06:04 PM

It's not unusual. There are several cultures/religions that have like this "rule" that nothing should be set up for the baby until after he/she is born. I need to be prepared so I could never delay all that, but I can understand that some women may feel like that, especially if they have suffered a loss before.

FishermansWife4 April 17th, 2013 06:57 PM

I'm like that. DH is all like "GO BUY THINGS!" and I'm just not ready. He'll end up winning though but I'm keeping those recipts and finding out where/how to return items. I'm serious. Granted, I'm only 13 weeks but still! I don't think I'll be ready until week 30 anyway. I definitely have a fear of "jinxing" myself I guess. I'm just not comfortable and I don't believe in doing things until you're comfortable, unless you have an extremely pushy husband who's just trying to get you excited by being pushy. Just my 2 cents though...

Mountain Momma April 17th, 2013 07:02 PM

I think that is totaly normal. I think part of it is when its not your first you are so busy with your kiddos you have less time to think about it!

jamieshalon2 April 18th, 2013 04:22 AM

I am not really like that, but I am not buying things yet because I really want to find out what I am having first, lol. Watch out after June 10th though, I am gonna be a shopping fool momma, hehehe.

2Corinthians10:4 April 18th, 2013 04:22 AM

I think it's completely normal. The only thing I have bought so far is one set of prefold diapers that could go for a boy or a girl. Maybe it's because I don't have as much to set up this time (no nursery) so I don't feel like I am on a time crunch to pick it all out.

sweety_pie April 18th, 2013 04:34 AM

I have bought 2 yellow ducky sleepers at around 12 weeks, but I kinda felt good doing it as if I was finally breathing a little. I think after our 20 week u/s I will start buying more. No clothes until after our gender scan at 25 weeks though! :P

drewbears April 23rd, 2013 08:41 AM

I saw some gender neutral stuff the other day but only glanced at it and kept walking. Im not ready yet.

Maybe I will start knitting a blanket.