JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   crib mattress (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2644847-crib-mattress.html)

soul_donut April 21st, 2013 05:46 PM

crib mattress

So - there are crib mattresses at $39 with great reviews on amazon that also get terrible reviews (your baby will die of SIDS!!!). The only ones that don't get any negative reviews are over $150.

How much are you spending/have you spent on the crib mattress? Are there any that you've tried that you WOULDN'T recommend?

My mom told me as long as it's firm, it's fine, and my brother and I had the regular ol' crib mattresses from Sears or wherever and they were just fine, and not too pricey. FWIW, when shopping for our new mattress last year, I picked out the nicest Simmons Beautyrest I could find on overstock in my price range and it was about $800.

A 10 lb baby is what, a 13th of my size? So a 13th of my mattress is $60 ish? :p

fancypants27 April 21st, 2013 06:15 PM

Re: crib mattress

we won't buy the cheapest mattress... but we won't spend $150 on one for the baby either.

slmehaffey April 21st, 2013 07:17 PM

For my son I bought a $50.00 one, I didn't want to get the cheapest, but also didn't want to spend a ton, and it has happily made it through two kids... however my daughter is not moving out of her toddler bed when this baby arrives so we are going to get another mattress and I'm just going with the $38.00 walmart cheapy... I keep my babies with me for about 4 months and then move them to the crib after that so I'm not as concerned with a firm mattress... and honestly the one I looked at felt as firm as the 4 year old $50.00 one we already have that I would be using for baby if my daughter wasn't still in it.

*Lana* April 21st, 2013 08:43 PM

I think ours was around $80-$90. Think it was from Walmart.
You want to look for a firm mattress. You see reviews for bassinets and pack n plays that say the mattress is horrible because it is only a little padding--that is what you want. You do not want a plush mattress for the baby.
If you find a firm mattress for cheap, go for it. Go to Babies R Us and look at the different mattresses they have so you can see the difference between materials and the firmness.

Allisonjuly April 22nd, 2013 07:43 AM

Ours is 13 years old but still in good condition. I think it was around $80 back then.

FishermansWife4 April 22nd, 2013 08:25 AM

I'd suggest going out to buy one in store instead of buying one online. In store, in person, you can feel the texture and firmness of the matress and get a good idea of if it would work for you or not. You're definitely right in looking for a firm matress. I'd also suggest taking a measurement of where the matress goes so you don't buy it too large or too small. Good luck picking out a matress!

soul_donut April 22nd, 2013 08:49 AM

I am kind of not going to a baby store.. I hated, hated going to stores when we were getting married to look at registry items because the woman said she wanted to follow us around the store with a clipboard and that registries "were like wish lists - don't look at prices! just scan scan scan!" I had to tell her off because how rude is it to not consider the prices?!

Baby stuff is even more commercial than wedding stuff. I'd prefer not to add to that so I'm the grump shopping online.

Laurenj915 April 22nd, 2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soul_donut (Post 27304962)
I am kind of not going to a baby store.. I hated, hated going to stores when we were getting married to look at registry items because the woman said she wanted to follow us around the store with a clipboard and that registries "were like wish lists - don't look at prices! just scan scan scan!" I had to tell her off because how rude is it to not consider the prices?!

Baby stuff is even more commercial than wedding stuff. I'd prefer not to add to that so I'm the grump shopping online.

Go to Target. No one will bother you. I love ours. We got it at target for about $60. They have them in higher and lower price ranges than that. Good luck!

Anitha April 22nd, 2013 10:08 AM

Any firm mattress is good. One with a water proof cover is nice too. I think ours was abt $70...not sure. But I definitely recommend checking them out in person. You can make your selection and then find a good deal online for that exact mattress right?

mizza411 April 23rd, 2013 06:05 AM

I need to buy the crib first, then onto the mattress, but will definitely check out Target and Walmart, I can't imagine anyone bothering you too much there.

drewbears April 23rd, 2013 10:33 AM

I never looked at reviews, just went with what fit our budget and was firm.