JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Early Disability (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2645449-early-disability.html)

jeannie921 April 23rd, 2013 05:55 PM

Early Disability

Has anyone gone out on disability early on? As in before 18-20 weeks? My ob has stated twice now that she recommends I consider it due to me being high risk and having a high stress job with limited help. Anyone else gone out this early? In only 14 weeks and was planning on working trough the summer :(

Spyctre April 23rd, 2013 06:01 PM

Re: Early Disability

No, but I did stop a week earlier than planned because of pre-e with DD1.

CountryMedic911 April 23rd, 2013 06:21 PM

I have been talking to my ob about it due to I cant in and out of the truck safely anymore and cant lift patients without a lot of pain

jamieshalon2 April 24th, 2013 04:30 AM

No I haven't, but my job is not high stress. It is mostly a desk job with minimal walking most days.

mamarazzi40 April 24th, 2013 06:17 AM

Not me either, but I also stopped working a week earlier than planned with my daughter due to preeclampsia

Anitha April 24th, 2013 06:50 AM

Well I have zero benefits and if I had to stop working for any reason, I just wont get paid! But my job is a desk job too and there isn't anything very physical that I do at work.

jeannie921 April 24th, 2013 07:44 AM

Thanks everyone. My ob has mentioned it twice now and wants me to really really weigh my options. It's just difficult because obviously disability means a substantial pay cut so when you're trying to save for baby that's a tough pill to swallow. I've also never been on any kind of disability/unemployment/leave from work so I don't know how a lot of it works. I know the stress of my job is not worth the health of myself or baby but for someone who has worked since 17 its just a complete change!

soul_donut April 24th, 2013 09:21 AM

No advice.. just wishing you luck! You have to think about the health of the baby first. It is a hard decision though!

Wren April 24th, 2013 11:08 AM

I would talk to you HR and see what your disability benefits are. We get 6 weeks of disability on partial pay, but it only covers what maternity leave doesn't cover. Our organization gives 4 weeks of maternity leave at partial pay, so I got that plus 2 weeks of short-term disability.

drewbears April 27th, 2013 05:56 AM

I'm no help, no experience with it. I would see what your options are through your job? Can they say pregnancy doesn't warrant disability?