JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Paternity time off? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2645999-paternity-time-off.html)

soul_donut April 25th, 2013 02:18 PM

Paternity time off?

Just wondering what everybody's SO situation looks like for taking time off for labor/delivery/baby's early days. I found out my DH's company (a big bank) doesn't have a single day for paternity leave (but gives months for adoptive parents. hmphh). I'm upset about it and thinking about canceling our trip to Rome. Everybody, DH included, thinks that's crazy. To compare, a friend works for a large financial institution, and he gets 12 weeks off. TWELVE. For 12 weeks, DH would want to have more kids. He will probably take a week or so off as vacation days from labor on.

So, vote in the poll and let us know what the time situation will be like for you.

2Corinthians10:4 April 25th, 2013 02:23 PM

Re: Paternity time off?

The Army gives Dh 10 days paternity leave.

jennyrae03 April 25th, 2013 02:28 PM

I voted yes, but I kind of don't count. Husband is self-employed as a farmer, so he makes his own hours. However, baby is due during harvest so he may only take a couple days off. He farms with his dad though, so I'm sure his dad will tell him to stay home. (My husband is very driven and motivated, so it's hard to get him to stop working! Lol)

The Purple Butterfly April 25th, 2013 02:31 PM

My DH gets like 2w of paid paternity leave. I'm grateful for that!! :D

swozze3 April 25th, 2013 02:37 PM

my hubby gets 2 weeks paid off :)

soul_donut April 25th, 2013 02:39 PM

SO JEALOUS OF YOU ALL! <-- that was in caps in case JM silences me

Spyctre April 25th, 2013 02:42 PM

My husband is in retail(he sells guns and ammo) so he doesn't usually take off after October 1st. If the baby is early, he can get about a week and a half off. Both of our others were born at the beginning of the year. No problem then.

cooper1414 April 25th, 2013 03:23 PM

My DH will have to use vacation time, but my company gives men paternity leave.

MrsHoot April 25th, 2013 03:43 PM

I don't even get paid maternity leave. I have to use my accumulated sick days. DH gets 2 days, but they take it out of your vacation fund. So I'm not sure why they call them "paternity" days if they dock you for them anyway! I'm hoping that DH will take a week off.

anothermother April 25th, 2013 05:04 PM

Wow, he works for a big bank and doesn't get time off?? My husband worked for a big bank last year and if we ever had a kid while with them we'd get 2 weeks paternity, plus one unpaid? I think?

Now that he works for a small business he can basically have off whenever he wants but he doesn't get paid. So it'll depend on our finances when that time comes, I'd like at least a week. But on the other hand if it's any longer he gets antsy.

Loni April 25th, 2013 05:18 PM

Any time DH takes off will be vacation time. He usually takes off until the baby comes home from the hospital and then goes back to work. My mom will be staying with us from before the baby is born until thanksgiving.

ILoveStorm2011 April 25th, 2013 05:34 PM

Same boat as 2 Corinthians! However, since DH is deploying there's a big chance he'll get 0 days :'(

Lemon April 25th, 2013 05:50 PM

No paternity leave, so DH is hoarding his vacation time. He's got 3 weeks left for the year. He is planning to take 2 weeks and then hopefully work from home a bunch, mostly to help me get the big kids to and from school.

Our babymoon is probably going to be a long weekend because of the vacation situation.

Kelsie April 25th, 2013 06:35 PM

It's up to us. We have our own business and he can choose to do what he wants. He wasn't even here for the first 3 weeks of our last baby. I did everything (including birth) on my own. My mom and dad were there for the birth, so I guess I wasn't alone on that. He's always gone right back to work after baby, but October through February and slow months, so he might be home far more for this one that any other.

Allisonjuly April 25th, 2013 06:46 PM

No paternity leave.

He can use sick leave and earned leave. He has a lot of this but won't use much. Ill probably have him take a week off.

After the birth of our second child I made him go back to work after a couple of days because all he was doing was playing video games.

Mountain Momma April 25th, 2013 06:50 PM

My husband is also self employed. We have some rental properties so as long as nothing breaks he will ge at home for a while!!

*Lana* April 25th, 2013 06:59 PM

Nope. He got 5 days of last time, and the way it worked out with his previous days off for the week before and his days off for the following week he was off for 10 days. I couldn't wait for him to go back to work so we could get into our little routine, just baby and me.

mizza411 April 25th, 2013 07:21 PM

My DH's company give 4 weeks paternity at 95% pay. Not too bad!

Lotsakids April 26th, 2013 02:07 AM

He's straight back to work. He'll hopefully get the day off that baby is born, but that will be totally dependent if baby is born during the day or night.

Seasaidh April 26th, 2013 04:21 AM

Google is ridiculous and I feel like some kind of evil villain telling you all this but they're giving him seven weeks.

...paid.

Yeah. I know. I would be lucky to get a job where I got that much maternity leave. His job has a way of always making me feel professionally inadequate (especially since I'm between jobs now), but we're well supported so I can't gripe too hard!