JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Inductions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2647541-inductions.html)

MrsHoot May 1st, 2013 07:03 PM

Inductions

I know I might be biased here (having one myself) but is anyone else surprised at the amount of inductions that there are?

I had one with my first (not really wanted) and I am so dead set against having one again! I feel like our bodies are made to make babies, why should we need so many inductions to make them come out??

Not really trying to start a debate...I've been reading lots of birthing naturally books and consider myself somewhat "crunchy". I am hoping for a lot less intervention this time around and think I can be more headstrong about it! Last time, I just kind of assumed things, took things as they came, and didn't do very much research. This time, I made it very clear that I want a VBAC, hired a doula, and have been reading/researching a lot more already! If I end up with a C this time, it won't be for lack of trying!! :)

Wren May 1st, 2013 07:20 PM

Re: Inductions

I think there are way too many. I was induced a month early, but that was because of complications that put my daughter's life at risk. I don't know what the original medical evidence was for the supposed risk to the fetus if it stayed in beyond 40 weeks, but it doesn't seem to be supported by current medical evidence. Most of the babies I've seen born "late" are fat and happy and sleep well. I think other inductions for things like water breaking and no progress are to avoid legitimate concerns like infection, but in avoiding those risks we've gone way over the line and it leads to a lot of C-sections.

Irshtripletsmommy May 1st, 2013 07:39 PM

The umbilical cord/placenta does start to "expire" at a certain point. this means that blood doesn't flow as easily through it, causing less oxygen for the baby and less efficient removal of fetal waste products. If severe enough, this can lead to fetal hypoxia (no oxygen or not enough oxygen) or even death. However, that's why non stress tests and biophysical profiles are done on overdue women. ifa woman refuses an induction past her due date, the doctor will dothese tests to make sure the baby is still healthy and getting enough nutrients and oxygen. a contraction stress test can also be done to determine how well the baby tolerates contractions. during a contraction, the blood flow through the placenta and cord are dramatically decreased. it returns to normal once the contraction subsides. if a fetus is already experiencing stress from inadequate placental perfusion, he does not have the reserve to tolerate that temporary lapse in blood flow during a contraction and will become even more stressed. Sorry, that was really long. I just wanted to give information, I have no judgements or opinions either way. I don't want to scare anyone either. All pregnancies are different, and if the baby is still happy in there, the tests will prove that and give you reassurance.

swozze3 May 1st, 2013 07:43 PM

I have only been induced once out of 3 pregnancies. My first I had pre term labor at 36 weeks, then #2 water broke @38 weeks, then with #3 I was induced at 38 weeks due to pre e and diabetes my blood sugars were dropping a lot an that usually means the placenta is not doing well. Ended up mine was just fine but ya never know

Spyctre May 1st, 2013 07:55 PM

I am only surprised by how many people hate them so much. lol My first was induced for pre-e almost 2 weeks early. I gained 13 lbs of swelling that last week. :o

My second was elective, but all of 4 days early. I really wanted something I could control after that first birth. I had a plan.

Go in on my day.
Start the pit.
Get that epidural before I started to feel the bad contractions.
Have my water broken.
Slumber till I felt the poop sensation.
Push the baby out.

How it went...

Pit started, kick started natural labor. They never went above the lowest dose. It did not hurt too much, like cramps. I wanted the epidural because I figured it would hurt more after my water broke.

Got the epidural. It failed. Three times! Labor still wasn't too bad, but I had a plan. FEEL NOTHING! So I was disappointed.

Progressed very fast.

Pushed the baby out and felt every bit of that. I can most assuredly say that I am not a fan of pushing babies out my ****. It hurts a lot. Some witch of a nurse will inevitably tell you that "it's only pressure!" And technically a car rolling over and crushing your foot is also only pressure. Liars.

This time I want to go all natural. Not because I'm feeling like a hippy, but because supposedly pit makes things worse. Last time was aight, but why make it worse? And the hospital has on file that I can no longer receive epidurals. Every one I had has failed. The one with DD1 failed, too, but pushing her out didn't hurt. Maybe because I didn't rip in three separate places.

I don't know if there are too many or not. I never asked my doctors how many natural laboring mothers checked in. I think pitocin is given out too much. I've talked to friends that had good back labor. Since this wasn't being measured on their stomach, they were given pitocin. Their contractions were fine to begin with, and they all complained about really bad back labor afterward. All ended up with cesareans because coincidentally that back labor meant a sunny side up child. They just couldn't manage to do it vaginally.

mamarazzi40 May 1st, 2013 08:52 PM

I was also induced due to preeclampsia. Three weeks early for me. She was born healthy 6lbs 6oz.

My son came 10 days early on his own. My water broke.

I also feel like more and more people are being induced.

Allisonjuly May 1st, 2013 08:57 PM

2 of my 4 were induced.

The first because he was 11 days past due date and the placenta was no longer thriving. They could see calcium deposits in it. He was not fat when he was born- long and thin!

My last one 5 days early because they said he was 10 pounds. He ended up only being 8.5 :rolleyes: I actually cried when they said they wanted to induce.

My DREAM labor this time would be for my water to break at home and go through most of it here. I've never experienced my water breaking and I've wanted to!!! :)

Cccbb61013 May 1st, 2013 09:00 PM

I personally feel I wasn't induced fast enough. I had low amniotic fluid and something was wrong with the umbilical cord. There was a lot if carelessness and a death in my family that postponed induction until 39 weeks 2 days but I feel it should have been done at 36 weeks when I pointed out my concerns to the midwife. This time I will be a better advocate for my baby and push for answers and actions.

P.s. I had a great experience with my induction.

anothermother May 1st, 2013 09:10 PM

When I went in with one of my births I went to the front desk and they asked if I was there for an induction, um no, my water broke. I guess they get a lot of inductions.

I personally don't like the idea of inductions because I love the anticipation that I'm a ticking time bomb at any minute, lol! That rush is always so much fun. Granted I went on my due date with my first and 3 days early with my second. I'm sure if I went overdue I'd be really antsy to just get the baby out.

I try not to judge elective inductions, but I really do think women should endure those last couple weeks of pregnancy, because I did, and it was miserable. :lol: I mean, really, it's only fair, lol!

sweety_pie May 2nd, 2013 05:00 AM

I had an induction with my son when he was 10 days past due, and an ALMOST induction with my daughter who was 8 days over (only needed one dose of cervix cream, no pitocin or any other pain meds) I'm so used to knowing when we are going in to have baby, me and DH are nervous for it to just happen on its own, we are used to plans! But this one MAY surprise us and come before they have to induce fingers crossed!

Laurenj915 May 2nd, 2013 05:05 AM

As suprising as how many c sections there are. And i have no problem with c sections. They can be life saving. The hospital in my city has a 52% c section rate. More than half of women here need c sections????

I think millions of people benefit from intervention. I also think that some drs are very quick to step in at times because those interventions make things more convenient.

Not trying to start a fight here. I have no problem with a women choosing an induction either. I only find it annoying when drs push them on women.

jamieshalon2 May 2nd, 2013 05:08 AM

I had to be induced with my last 2 pregnancies. I had preeclampsia with Logan and my BP was over the roof to the point that the doc and nurses were actually scared. It was only a week before my EDD though.No pitocin, I will refuse that stuff because I had it with my first labor after my water broke and the contractions never started up. all they did was break my water and he was here about 3 or 4 hours later. With my 3rd pregnancy I had GD and I had broken my pelvic bone in a car accident the year before. They induced me on my due date because they didn't want to risk him getting too big and re-breaking me. Again, just a water breaking, no drugs.
Not sure what will happen this time. I don't think it is a good sign that my ankles are swollen every night though, even when I am not on my feet much during the day. May be a sign of preeclampsia to come :(

mamarazzi40 May 2nd, 2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamieshalon2 (Post 27333638)
I had to be induced with my last 2 pregnancies. I had preeclampsia with Logan and my BP was over the roof to the point that the doc and nurses were actually scared. It was only a week before my EDD though.No pitocin, I will refuse that stuff because I had it with my first labor after my water broke and the contractions never started up. all they did was break my water and he was here about 3 or 4 hours later. With my 3rd pregnancy I had GD and I had broken my pelvic bone in a car accident the year before. They induced me on my due date because they didn't want to risk him getting too big and re-breaking me. Again, just a water breaking, no drugs.
Not sure what will happen this time. I don't think it is a good sign that my ankles are swollen every night though, even when I am not on my feet much during the day. May be a sign of preeclampsia to come :(

I hope not!!! It's scary for sure!!!

jamieshalon2 May 2nd, 2013 07:09 AM

Yea it is. It was really bad with my middle son. I was so swollen that NONE of my maternity clothes even fit, I had 1 pair of shoes that I could get on my feet and my head was so swollen that when the swelling finally went down I had to buy new sunglasses. Thinking back it is funny to me now, but it definitely wasn't at the time.
Thankfully I didn't have any signs of it with my last pregnancy. I have always had BP problems though and I think that may contribute to it :(

soul_donut May 2nd, 2013 07:16 AM

My mom said she went into labor with both of us, but then had to have intervention because things just stopped. She even stayed at home for a long time with me. So, I guess it wasn't an induction, but she needed medical intervention. I can see that when it's medically a necessity how good it is. But picking a day to have a baby? nope. Not how it works. I want to be like Christine, a ticking time bomb. My body will tell me when it's baby time! KNOCK KNOCK who's there? BABY.

Irshtripletsmommy May 2nd, 2013 07:52 AM

The last part of labor can stall inexplicably, it's crazy! I was assisting a birth once and this poor womanstuckwas at 10cm for like 45 minutes. Her contractions suddenly got weak and farther apart. She felt no urge to push so either the doctor suggests she labor down which is waiting for the urge to push, or start pitocin to make contractions more effective. It was totally her decision, she could have waited but I guess she was getting impatient since she decided on pitocin. 20 Minutes on the smallest dose and she pushed the baby out in about 4 pushes.

WorkerBeeMama May 2nd, 2013 10:37 AM

I had one with my first when I was three days late. When I went to the hospital I was actually having contractions but just felt "crampy". I had her 6 hours later (5 hours of pitocin).

With my second I was induced ten days early due to horrible sciatica and back pain - I tried to be induced three weeks early, but that didn't happen. I was so over being pregnant.

With this one, I wanted to do it all natural and stuff but after the miscarriages they found out I have factor five leiden and MTHFR and need to be on blood thinners while pregnant. Since I am on blood thinners, this time I HAVE to be induced :(

I am okay with it though. Just thought I'd try for a natural approach once.

I actually love inductions. As long as you plan on getting an epi, I think they are great. But I know they are not great for everyone. I think for me it just is good because of how my body reacts to it and my relatively short labors (5 & 6 hours) and short pushing times (less than 5 minutes each time). Some women don't progress and then they have to have other interventions.

I will say though, pitocin hurts more than regular contractions. I'm sure in the end and during transition it might be similar, but early labor with pitocin seems to be harder than early labor without pitocin.

To each his own. I think whatever works best for someone is what they should do.

Allisonjuly May 2nd, 2013 12:00 PM

I agree. My last induction was my easiest labor and delivery because they hooked me up to epi before the pitocin. Dh and I played cards and I napped. I never had any pain not even while pushing. Kinda feel like I cheated :lol:

Anitha May 2nd, 2013 12:28 PM

IDK...I've heard good and bad stories. I think the experience depends on so many factors and can vary widely from person to person. There does seem to be a lot of inductions though...I wasn't induced. The interventions I had were epidural followed by breaking the water, episiotomy since she was sunny side up and was stuck after crowning, finally without my knowledge they gave me pitocin to ensure that the placenta was delivered quickly!! I found that out as they were taking out the iv to move me to recovery.

curlimama05 May 2nd, 2013 03:28 PM

It definitely depends on the person and the circumstances. I'm lucky to have fast, intense labors. The first time went so fast I didnt realize I was fully dilated. The second, I had a nurse come into my room saying she wanted to start an IV on me and I pretty much told her I wouldnt be needing that. By now I'd rather just be left to do my own thing without interventions.