JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Cloth Dipes? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2651235-cloth-dipes.html)

cooper1414 May 17th, 2013 06:53 AM

Cloth Dipes?

So I am doing cloth this time and was waiting for my scan before I bought any. Now I know that it's a boy, so I wanted to go on and start getting some. I am trying ALVA dipes... How many should I get to start?

WorkerBeeMama May 17th, 2013 07:12 AM

Re: Cloth Dipes?

Are you planning on cloth diapering from the beginning?

I would say 24-36 dipes for newborn stage and 24 OS dipes for 3+ months. You will be washing about every two days, maybe three if you have a baby that doesn't go that often.

For newborn, I have all kinds of dipes. If you want to do it cheaply, you can do prefolds and covers. Cottonbabies.com has inexpensive prefolds and Baby Monkeys has custom newborn covers that are supposed to be great (just ordered two) and they are only $5 a cover!!

If you want to do all-in-ones cheaply for newborns, THX looks like it would be great. You can get 20 for $100-$150 on eBay. Don't buy imagine all in ones as those got holes when I prepped them.

For non-newborn dipes, I have 26 one-size all in ones. I have bumgenius elementals and chelory. I also have 9 small ragababes.

My advice, do a bunch of research and order a bunch of different dipes from one store and look them over and try them on a doll or stuffed animal when they arrive. Figure out what you like best and send the rest back.

Good luck and have fun!!!

cooper1414 May 17th, 2013 07:57 AM

Thanks! I am only doing part time too since daycare won't use cloth. I guess I should have put that in the beginning of my post. :) I liked the Alva because they are cheaper and they look easy. I'll have to look at the other ones you put now too!

Lemon May 17th, 2013 08:00 AM

I like to have at least 2 days of diapers, so I don't have to wash more than that. Not counting the nb period, I think 24 diapers is my minimum. The more you have, the longer they will last because they aren't getting washed every 2 days.

WorkerBeeMama May 17th, 2013 09:57 AM

You might be able to convince daycare to use cloths if you get easy ones like all in ones or all in twos. Just show her how easy it is to use. It seems that most people against cloth just don't really know how easy it can be and are just afraid of it. PLus, she won't be doing any of the messy stuff, you will be (rinsing poopy diapers, washing them) so for her it would be really easy.

I don't know if my childcare center will use cloth, but I am going to try. If they won't I will most likely go elsewhere.

Mountain Momma May 17th, 2013 10:19 AM

I would advice not buying all the same style/brand until you try a few on your baby. You might love the diaper but if it doesn't fit well you won't love it for long. Since all babies are shaped differently it make take a few tries before you find a brand with the perfect fit. Hope your daycare will do cloth for you!!

cooper1414 May 17th, 2013 10:32 AM

So maybe buy 5-10 of one style and 5-10 of another at first to see what I like?

About daycare, I plan on showing them one when I get them in, but if they won't use them, that's fine too. I really love our daycare and don't want to switch anyway.

allysmomma May 17th, 2013 11:37 AM

I am also wanting to do cloth diapers this go around, but it's so overwhelming. I do have a couple of friends that do it, so I may just buy a handful here and there to see which ones I like. I was also told that there is an attachment that hooks to your toilet to just wash the poop out, which is awesome and would make it a lot better!!! I plan on starting my research too, so I can get a jumpstart on what I want to go with!! Good luck!! Oh and my sitter will do the cloth diapering!! yay!!

cooper1414 May 17th, 2013 11:50 AM

Oh, that's great! I don't know if we'll get the attachment yet or not. I plan on EBF for a while, so the poop won't be bad at first anyway. I've also toyed with the idea of the flushable liners for when he get older and poopier...

WorkerBeeMama May 17th, 2013 02:17 PM

We plan on getting the sprayer just to help avoid staining and to be a little cleaner overall. I'm sure it's fine without it, but I am gonna give it a go.