JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Newborn Anxiety? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2657512-newborn-anxiety.html)

curlimama05 June 10th, 2013 08:33 AM

Newborn Anxiety?

I helped throw a baby welcoming party yesterday, and it had been a couple years since I'd been around a teeny baby. I thought maybe I'd want to snuggle her, but I didnt. I had forgotten how teeny tiny they are! For whatever reason, (maybe because mine have been chunky boys) when my babies are born they seem tough and not as fragile, and I feel totally comfortable holding them. But other people's babies up to about 3 months? Nope. I'd rather just admire them from a safe distance. And this one was about 6 weeks old!

What is wrong with me? Is anyone else this way?

Spyctre June 10th, 2013 08:39 AM

Re: Newborn Anxiety?

The only anxiety I have is the sleepless nights thoughts. I am such as b**** when I'm tired.

anothermother June 10th, 2013 08:43 AM

I don't prefer to hold other people's babies, I don't know why. Maybe it's the tininess. But yeah, I get it. Holding my own I'm perfectly fine though.

soul_donut June 10th, 2013 08:46 AM

totally! I don't like to hold other people's little babies. Maybe their chunky 6 month olds, but newborns? Ack

sweety_pie June 10th, 2013 08:46 AM

I get it too, I'm always nervous holding other peoples tiny tiny newborns! lol I'm sure I'll be ok with my own though, and mine have been chunky babies as well, not tiny and fragile feeling! lol

drewbears June 10th, 2013 09:18 AM

I don't have anxiety really... more like I am just not interested in a newborn. I love doing newborn portraits I get to hold them, snuggle them, get them to sleep, take cute pics and then im done. I don't have to stay up with them or walk with them to get them to calm down. Or change diapers.

I am not really looking forward to it. :(

Lemon June 10th, 2013 09:35 AM

It's so much better holding your own!

I'm excited, just worried about coping with the lack of sleep and my big kids. And having to be on the go with a newborn. We'll adjust though.

Rosiegirl7 June 10th, 2013 10:02 AM

When my coworker came into work with her 3 week old baby everyone suggested I hold it but I really didn't want to. I was nervous, and still have time to be baby-free until mine comes out! Haha. Not to mention it was so tiny and I would feel horrible if it started to cry in my arms!

nina529 June 10th, 2013 11:36 AM

i don't like to hold other people's babies either. even when my niece and nephew were born i held them once for a few minutes and that was it until they were older. i just want my own baby to hold. :)

jamieshalon2 June 10th, 2013 01:16 PM

I actually like holding other newborns, lol. I know I can give them back when I am done. ;)

Jackie1122 June 10th, 2013 01:43 PM

Yes I am the exact same way! While I like looking at other people's babies, I am not going to grab them and offer to hold them! When people ask if I want to hold the baby I say yes of course, but I had them back as soon as they start to fuss. While I felt comfortable with my son (he was a large male baby as well!), I just feel so helpless around other babies. I think it has a lot to do with being comfortable with your own baby and knowing what he or she likes. I have tried to soothe other babies and the things that worked for my son don't always work for them so I just hand them back :smile:. My niece was barely 6 pounds and she was probably 6 months old before I truly felt comfortable holding her.

Allisonjuly June 10th, 2013 02:02 PM

Not a fan of holding other people's newborns either!

slmehaffey June 10th, 2013 02:45 PM

My son was 7lbs 15oz, I felt like he was the perfect size, tiny and fragile yet big enough I didn't feel like he was made of glass... then my daughter was born at 6lbs 10oz, and was 6lbs 4oz when we brought her home... I felt awful holding her, like anything I did was going to break her... I don't fret over other people's kids, mostly I just don't ask to hold them cause I know some moms are worried about germs and I don't want to stress them out, but I really was scared to break my own daughter.

Irshtripletsmommy June 10th, 2013 03:56 PM

I don't mind newborns, except for the lack of sleep. I am not looking forward to that at all.

curlimama05 June 10th, 2013 04:04 PM

Yeah Julie, I already feel like I dont get enough sleep! And I'm the type who holds them and nurses them all day and until my DH points out that I smell like milk and I've been wearing the same shirt for 3 days lol. That to me, is the newborn phase!

Laurenj915 June 10th, 2013 07:14 PM

The lack of sleep can really take all the "magic" out of the newborn stage. Not looking forward to it.

I also don't enjoy holding other people's babies. Can't get enough of my own though.

MrsHoot June 10th, 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie1122 (Post 27436866)
Yes I am the exact same way! While I like looking at other people's babies, I am not going to grab them and offer to hold them! When people ask if I want to hold the baby I say yes of course, but I had them back as soon as they start to fuss. While I felt comfortable with my son (he was a large male baby as well!), I just feel so helpless around other babies. I think it has a lot to do with being comfortable with your own baby and knowing what he or she likes. I have tried to soothe other babies and the things that worked for my son don't always work for them so I just hand them back :smile:. My niece was barely 6 pounds and she was probably 6 months old before I truly felt comfortable holding her.

This! Feel the same way. I like looking, will hold if offered, but don't go out of my way to ask. Not to mention I have baby snobbery....I don't find tons of other newborns to be as cute as my own. :)~

Kbrawner01 June 11th, 2013 10:40 AM

I hated it after I had Bella and my sister would come over with her newborn because after I would get my newborn to sleep she asks do you want to hold kaden. I'm like uh no thank you just got mine to sleep I'm fine thanks lol. I need a rest. That was super annoying. My sister is rly bad at that stuff she's not much of a baby person either.

Jackie1122 June 11th, 2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kbrawner01 (Post 27439047)
I hated it after I had Bella and my sister would come over with her newborn because after I would get my newborn to sleep she asks do you want to hold kaden. I'm like uh no thank you just got mine to sleep I'm fine thanks lol. I need a rest. That was super annoying. My sister is rly bad at that stuff she's not much of a baby person either.

My BIL and his wife live next door to us and they are a lot like this! They both smoke and will walk over and knock on my back door so I can hold their daughter while they take a smoke break outside. It drives me crazy because they know my son takes a nap at the same time everyday, and they always pick that time to come. They have even woke me up from a nap a few times! The last thing I want to do after I lay my son down is find another kid to watch... can I get a few minutes to relax??

Kbrawner01 June 11th, 2013 11:45 AM

Exactly. She smokes too and I love babies and everything but I don't smoke and no offense to smokers but get yours to go to bed. Then if you want to use your smoking as a treat to yourself go for it but I like naps and quiet time.