JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Placenta Encapsulation or Consumption / Delayed Cord Clamping Anyone? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2659908-placenta-encapsulation-consumption-delayed-cord-clamping-anyone.html)

WorkerBeeMama June 19th, 2013 02:56 PM

Placenta Encapsulation or Consumption / Delayed Cord Clamping Anyone?

I can't believe I'm saying this but I am considering looking into both.

Anyone here have any experience with it? Not looking for opinions on it as I am sure they are wide and varied.

Anyone planning on doing it?

Iluvmybabies* June 19th, 2013 03:02 PM

Re: Placenta Encapsulation or Consumption / Delayed Cord Clamping Anyone?

I'm definitely delaying cord clamping again I have done it every baby, last baby mu amazing hubby took my placenta home washed it and put it in the deydrater but I guess my HG was in the placenta because I took one pill and got sooooo ill so I am very upset I can't do that :(

WorkerBeeMama June 19th, 2013 03:28 PM

That actually makes sense Summer. That's too bad. At least you knew right away it wasn't for you. I'll have no problem tossing the pills if I have a negative reaction to them. Although I would be mad about being out the money, but that's different.

gRod June 19th, 2013 03:34 PM

I could just google myself, but I would love to see a good article on the research behind delayed cord clamping and the placenta encapsulation. You guys got some? I had an emergency very tramatic csection the first time, so I didnt get to even see the birth, so I missed out!

Rosiegirl7 June 19th, 2013 03:35 PM

I've done a lot of internet reading on Placenta Encapsulation, it sounds very interesting and the benefits are hard to ignore. However for $250 (in my area) and the thought of it grossing me out I think I will pass this round. But if anyone has experience I'd love to hear the stories!

As for cord clamping, I want to get my doc's advice on this one. I am aiming for a few minutes after birth since it makes sense that more iron is transferred to the baby and can help with iron deficiency in the first year. No harm in that.

Iluvmybabies* June 19th, 2013 03:39 PM

I delay until the cord stoops pulsating(my hubby watches and won't let them clamp it until it stops)we have tiny babies and it helps lots with them

Here is a good articles on cord clamping :D

Why Consider Delayed Cord Clamping? | Science of Mom

Umbilical cord clamping guidelines being reviewed

Lemon June 19th, 2013 03:45 PM

I'm really considering taking my placenta home. I've never done it before.
Will the hospital give me any trouble about it? I need to read up on the specifics.

I don't really want to spend the $250 to have it encapsulated. Another option is to freeze it and puts hunks in a smoothie right? Lol

FishermansWife4 June 19th, 2013 03:52 PM

Now you've got me googling to find out more info on this subject lol I really want to find out if C moms can do delayed cord clamping and placenta encapsulation too. It would kind of bum me out if we can't. The delayed cord clamping sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in.

2Corinthians10:4 June 19th, 2013 04:46 PM

We will definitely be delayed cord clamping unless I have to have a c-section, then we have to see what the hospital will allow.

I haven't fully decided about placenta encapsulation but it is something I am looking into, Dh is completely freaked out by it though.

Iluvmybabies* June 19th, 2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon (Post 27461408)
I'm really considering taking my placenta home. I've never done it before.
Will the hospital give me any trouble about it? I need to read up on the specifics.

I don't really want to spend the $250 to have it encapsulated. Another option is to freeze it and puts hunks in a smoothie right? Lol

They let us take it home no problem my doc said as long as it looks good then it's all good lol
My hubby washed it, prepared it, cut it up and dried it all himself then we bought a cheap pill encapsulatior at did it ourselves very easy and free :D

Lemon June 19th, 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvmybabies* (Post 27461570)

They let us take it home no problem my doc said as long as it looks good then it's all good lol
My hubby washed it, prepared it, cut it up and dried it all himself then we bought a cheap pill encapsulatior at did it ourselves very easy and free :D

I can't wait to have this convo with DH. Lol!!

Do you plan to talk to your OB about this ahead of time? Who needs to be aware you want to take or home? The doc? The nurse?

Thanks!

margaloves June 19th, 2013 06:35 PM

I did placenta encapsulation with my daughter. I was lucky because my doula did it all for me. She brought my pills to me the day after my daughter was born. I am planning on doing it again with these little guys.

Heidijens1 June 19th, 2013 06:42 PM

I won't be doing the placenta encapsulation, It kinda grosses me out for some reason.

I WILL be doing the delayed cord clamping, I have done it for my other babies and felt it was a good thing, no reason that they shouldn't receive ALL the blood and nutrients before it is cut. In fact my youngest wasn't breathing right at first and I was able to hold him for a couple minutes before he was taken away because he was able to get oxygen through the cord still.

MrsHoot June 19th, 2013 07:45 PM

No to the placenta encapsulation, ew for me, but yes for the delayed clamping. I still need to bring it up with my doc though!

mizza411 June 19th, 2013 08:46 PM

Yes, definitely doing delayed cord clamping, but not going to do a lotus birth.

I am not planning to do encapsulation of the placenta after birth. I would be interested to read more on it, but ingesting something that's come out of my body seems wrong somehow. Not going to judge others for choosing that though!

Iluvmybabies* June 19th, 2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon (Post 27461807)
I can't wait to have this convo with DH. Lol!!

Do you plan to talk to your OB about this ahead of time? Who needs to be aware you want to take or home? The doc? The nurse?

Thanks!

I did tell my doc before and then told the nurses during labor!

FishermansWife4 June 20th, 2013 06:33 AM

I'd like to let any Pittsburgh moms who are interested in encapsulation that I found a lady willing to do it for me. We're emailing back and forth. If you'd like the email address, ask, I'd be happy to share. She even does a three tier honor system for payment options if cost is an issue.

Also, thank you Mindy & Summer for bringing this up! I had no idea how beneficial the encapsulation could be and am coordinating how I can go about doing it. I'm very excited to try. Now, just to convince DH that it's the best thing for me and baby. Boy is he going to be in for a surprise when he gets to shore and I start that conversation topic. Hopefully, he'll be on board too.

jamieshalon2 June 20th, 2013 06:41 AM

I have never heard of delayed cord clamping. hmmm, I will look into this. Thanks for the info!

Lemon June 20th, 2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvmybabies* (Post 27462086)

I did tell my doc before and then told the nurses during labor!

Thanks!!

Will put this on my list to look into, talk to DH about, etc.

WorkerBeeMama June 20th, 2013 10:12 AM

I'm glad it is working out for you Amber!

I brought the subject up last night with DH and it did not go well! He is pretty mellow and let's me decide most baby things and if I wanted I could push the subject more or just do whatever I want, lol, but his reaction was so bad to the placenta encapsulation that I might just skip it and do the delayed cord clamping.

We shall see. Maybe he just needs a little time to let the gross idea sink in a little.