JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   NSTs? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2660089-nsts.html)

drewbears June 20th, 2013 08:25 AM

NSTs?

Anyone else already getting ready for these?

I found out today that next month I will be starting my weekly, twice a week, NSTs that will go through the duration of the pregnancy. Um WHAT?

I'm waiting on a call back with my set days and times. It will be either Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Fridays. And she said plan for at least an hour each time.

This yet again throws a bit of a kink in my plans.

I can't say that this pregnancy hasn't or wont have many appointments. OY

sweety_pie June 20th, 2013 08:27 AM

Re: NSTs?

Not sure if I will get them, don't think I had any with my little girl last time, but I did have one with my son when he was 9 days overdue.

jamieshalon2 June 20th, 2013 08:29 AM

I have never had one done. I wish you luck though.

drewbears June 20th, 2013 08:30 AM

I have had them before with other pregnancies when I was past my due date, but never routine ones like this.

Once school starts, that will put me in a pickle, cuz it doesn't look like I can bring my 3 year old, and I don't have someone to watch her. I wonder if I can do some talking to them and explain I have no options, and she literally will sit with an iPad and not move. Maybe they will help me out.

Allisonjuly June 20th, 2013 08:48 AM

She is starting mine at my next high risk appt in 4 weeks. I was surprised too.

swozze3 June 20th, 2013 11:11 AM

I am not sure when I will be starting my NST's this time. I will probably ask my doctor next week at my appt. I believe last time I started them at either 30 or 32 weeks.

FishermansWife4 June 20th, 2013 12:09 PM

I'm going to sound dumb over here but what is NSTs?

sweety_pie June 20th, 2013 12:14 PM

Non-stress test

slmehaffey June 20th, 2013 12:23 PM

Why are you having them routine this early? is it for the placenta problem you'd mentioned before?

I had them with my daughter when the midwife said I was overdue, and it just led to all sorts of problems for me, so I think if I were going to a hospital to birth I'd just refuse them this time. But since I'm doing a home birth I wont have them at all. I'm so happy to be having such a laid back approach to this birth!
Good luck with your appointments!

Oh and Amber, incase you don't know what the NST's entail it is an ultrasound of baby and placenta, and then a time strapped to the heart and contraction monitors (like in labor) where they monitor the babies heart rate and see if you are having contractions and how the baby is doing during them.... honestly aside from seeing more pictures of the baby it is a pretty boring hour and isn't 'nonstressful' to me. Between finding the time to go to the appointment, and then sitting there wondering what they are discovering, or not discovering it is pretty annoying to me.

FishermansWife4 June 20th, 2013 01:20 PM

Oh! Okay! Thanks for explaining it :) I've never had one done in office, probably because I've never been over due but it sounds stressful in and of itself. Good luck, Jenn!

happywife June 20th, 2013 05:23 PM

Yep, same here... starting them next month. I don't mind though, extra peace of mind!

MrsPea June 20th, 2013 06:20 PM

Oh man, good luck ladies! That sounds more annoying then anything else, but try to think of it as Happy Wife says, assurance babe is doing well.

Allisonjuly June 20th, 2013 06:21 PM

I had it when I went overdue with my first. I don't remember it much.

She was explaining the point system with it. If he scores 4 or below I have to get checked into the hospital. I assume mine is a combo of the weird placenta, my blood clotting thing, and my age.

Lotsakids June 21st, 2013 12:36 AM

I've never had them before, so I am pressuming that this pregnancy will be the same.

Wren June 21st, 2013 04:41 AM

I had them weekly last time when I was diagnosed with cholestasis, maybe starting around 30 weeks. I may find out today whether I have it again, or be tested again in a week or too. My genetic screening results suggested I might have a placenta issue too, so I know they are going to do one or two more ultrasounds regardless to make sure the baby doesn't have restricted growth, but I don't think they are NSTs.

Fortroseberry June 21st, 2013 07:26 AM

I will start mine soon too. Probably once I hit 28-30 weeks.