JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   1/2 hour into my GTT (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2665275-1-2-hour-into-my-gtt.html)

Seasaidh July 12th, 2013 10:59 AM

1/2 hour into my GTT

Today was the absolute last day I could do it and still get it in before week 28. My appointments got skewed (it was like six weeks between the last two), so I nearly missed the bus - they told me on Weds that I needed to do it before the week was up. Whoops.

Anyway I'm 1/2 hour in. It was orange. And gross. You'd think they could dilute it a bit more? I'm sure there's a reason they don't. It better be a good one.

I have the jitters like whoa. My husband and I are nerdy DIY types, and so we happen to own a small glucose monitor. I'm doing my own readings right before I go in for the official ones, so I'll have decently-valid results as the test concludes. Wish me luck. Blech.

Oh, and as an aside - anyone else suddenly have their baby moving ALL THE TIME? IDK if the critter finally ran out of extra space, but s/he was busy ALLLLL day yesterday, and it's continuing today. It's like night and day from a few days ago. Totally weird.

jamieshalon2 July 12th, 2013 11:11 AM

Re: 1/2 hour into my GTT

Really, they told you to have it done before 28 weeks? She just told me to have it done by the time I come back on August 1st and I will be 30 weeks by then. I am going next friday at exactly 28 weeks though. How strange how all the docs differ in this.

I was just telling my friend today that Sophia has been moving like crazy all day today. Way more than usual.I was joking around and told her that the baby must be happy that it's friday just like it's momma, lol.

Seasaidh July 12th, 2013 11:40 AM

Jamie, i think they do different things everywhere. Fortunately it's only a 2 hour test here at Stanford.

So I had the 1 hour draw now. I asked what their targets are - 180 mg/dL after 1 hour, 153 after 2 (Wikipedia's standards are more conservative).

My monitor gave me a 133 at 1 hour, so apparently I'm tolerating like a champ (or my monitor is horribly calibrated). At least I don't have to feel worried - I'd be shocked if it were THAT far off.

Glad that's (mostly) over!

jamieshalon2 July 12th, 2013 11:48 AM

So you have to go straight into a 2 hour?
With my OB you have a 1 hour test and then if you fail that one then you have to go back for a 3 hour test.

I wish you luck. I hope the orange nastiness doesn't make you sick.

sweety_pie July 12th, 2013 12:35 PM

We do the 1 hour first, then 3 hour if we fail that one.

Seasaidh July 12th, 2013 03:52 PM

Stanford just does a 2 hour on everyone. The 1 hour can be affected by factors like what you ate right before hand, etc, and the 3 hour is slightly inhumane. Women kept failing the 1 hour because they'd come get tested right after lunch, and then they'd get funneled into the 3-hour test category, so they just moved it to the 2 hour fasting test across the board, and the results are a lot more accurate for everyone, and there is no need for anyone to ever do the 3 hour test.

FishermansWife4 July 12th, 2013 05:18 PM

Good luck with your results but it sounds to me like you handled it like a champ and should get a good result :)

drewbears July 16th, 2013 09:43 AM

ugh! I hate the orange one. I always have the red one for 1 hour, orange was the 3, and a cola like one was for the 5. YUCK YUCK YUCK!

Seasaidh July 17th, 2013 10:14 AM

Yep, I aced it! Woo hoo! Best wishes to everyone that still has this ahead of them!

jamieshalon2 July 17th, 2013 10:25 AM

Yay, that is great. I have mine this friday. I hope I get the same results as you.

soul_donut July 17th, 2013 11:16 AM

I had the orange goo, too! I aced it as well. I will tell you though - I felt a little goofy for a little bit after drinking it. Don't eat anything too challenging this afternoon..

My baby is moving a ton too - I am noticing him even when I'm standing and walking. His ears are formed and he must have heard that space gets pretty tight in there in a few weeks, so he's getting it all out of his system now ;)

sweety_pie July 17th, 2013 11:36 AM

Glad you passed!! :) I had orange too and I passed!

gRod July 17th, 2013 12:05 PM

The orange one was sooo gross. So think. Gagging just thinking about it. Hope you pass with good marks! I had GD last time and it was not the end of the world, but a pain in the butt for sure!

~Momma*2011~ July 17th, 2013 12:18 PM

So glad you passed. My dr does the 1 hour and 3 hour but it seems logical to me to just do a 2 hour one. Oh well.

My baby has been busting out some moves inside as well. Like crazy busy in there. :)

estherm July 17th, 2013 04:04 PM

Yay you passed!! :)

slmehaffey July 17th, 2013 08:25 PM

with my first baby I had the clear fluid, got my blood draw and then because I hate needles I passed out and because I had that junk in my system I puked and convulsed all over myself. I'll never forget that experience... YUCK.
second baby had the orange drink, made sure I had something light to eat ahead of time and made it through without passing out (only just barely though).
This time my midwife isn't testing.. YAY!!! she said if she felt the need she would do the finger prick test...

and as for movement.. holy movement batman! this kid is moving for about 20 mins at a time, and then he/she stops for a 10-20 min period of time, and then starts up again. At night always kicking me in the stomach and giving me acid reflux... ugh.. love the movement, hate the acid.

ILoveStorm2011 July 17th, 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbears (Post 27522247)
ugh! I hate the orange one. I always have the red one for 1 hour, orange was the 3, and a cola like one was for the 5. YUCK YUCK YUCK!

FIVE HOURS?
I would be like "No, I have it just...just no more of this drink..."
lol. I would probably say that if I have to take the three hour one.