JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Switching provider question... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2666344-switching-provider-question.html)

MrsHoot July 17th, 2013 07:37 PM

Switching provider question...

Ok, since my post I have found 2 other VBAC friendly practices- ones midwives and they were recommended by my doula. They are 45 minutes away and couldn't get me in until August 12th.

The other, I found through reading my areas baby center boards and I found a lot of recommendations for both Ncb and VBAC. They are only 30 minutes away.

Both need my current pregnancy records before the appt. the second place won't schedule a consultation until they have the records.

Ok-can I. Just ask the office for a copy of my records? And-if I decide to stay with my current practice in the long run, will they be upset about me consulting with other doctors?

I'm probably just being a non confrontational baby here...

slmehaffey July 17th, 2013 07:43 PM

Re: Switching provider question...

they will most likely charge you if you ask for your records directly. If you want to pay then you don't have to tell them why you want them, just get them copy them and send them to the other places... if you don't want to pay you'll need to get a release form from either your current place or the other two places to get the records released directly to the other practices, which means you probably wont see them at all, but that you also wont have to pay for them.
I would guess it will be around $25 for the records, but each practice is different.
If your current OB has a problem with you getting a second opinion then they are not a good practice to be at anyway... doctors should welcome the opportunity to show that they are 'right'.. and if they don't then perhaps they are not right after all.

east to west coast July 17th, 2013 09:07 PM

I've never switched providers, but since I'm planning a home birth and also receive parallel care through a group of nurse midwives/ob-gyns just in case I have to transfer to the hospital. I ask for print-outs of any important records at each appointment (e.g., my u/s results) so I can share them with my midwives and it's never been an issue. Considering that you're wanting a vbac, I would think that your current doctors would be very understanding that you want to "shop around" a bit.

jamieshalon2 July 18th, 2013 03:53 AM

I have never had to do that before, but my friend is going through that right now. I wish you luck.

The Purple Butterfly July 18th, 2013 07:57 AM

Ugh! That stinks. I switched from my OB (I had him for my VBAC in my last pg) to my hb m/w but I didn't need to transfer any records, so I'm really of little help. Your new care provider usually asks your old one for the records. I do suggest going with the midwives, though.

MrsPea July 18th, 2013 12:49 PM

I just switched from an OB practice to a birth center, my OB was super awesome and understanding! I just asked for a copy of my records and got them no real questions asked at the check out desk. I didn't pay for them either. The birth center just needed me to bring them to my first appt though. They didn't need them before hand.

You probably don't even have to talk to your OB to get them, just the admin people upfront.

MrsHoot July 18th, 2013 01:12 PM

Thanks MrsPea. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and tell them I need a copy and then hopefully pick them up that same day.

drewbears July 23rd, 2013 07:35 AM

The practices here will charge a certain amount per page to make copies. They wouldn't give me my file to take to another doctor till I officially left the practice.

I think it depends on your area and the practice?