JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Breast Pump - What's your choice? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2668865-breast-pump-whats-your-choice.html)

Druslady96 July 29th, 2013 11:21 PM

Breast Pump - What's your choice?

So I'm trying to decide between the Medela Pump in Style Advances vs. the Dr. Brown (Simplisse) Double Electric Pump...

For those of you who have used one of these or both, what is your opinion? If you didn't use these, which did/do/will you use? I only rented the hospital one for a couple months with DD and that was 10 years ago... so since the pump is free now, I'm trying to figure out which to go with.

Lemon July 30th, 2013 04:32 AM

I've only used the PISA. No complaints. I'm hoping to get the same one this time. :)

fludderbye July 30th, 2013 04:54 AM

Re: Breast Pump - What's your choice?

honestly i have never had much luck with pumps- seemed to me to be more of a PITA or boob in this case LOL

always heard medela is the best but $$ pricey

Loni July 30th, 2013 05:33 AM

I love the medela Pump in style advanced. I have used to for 2 of my kids and plan on using it again this time if needed..

~Momma*2011~ July 30th, 2013 08:06 AM

I love my Medela. I have the pump in style advanced.

sweety_pie July 30th, 2013 08:19 AM

I have never had one as I have never successfully breastfed yet, but I was wondering do you need a pump to breastfeed? Or can I go without one at all?

WorkerBeeMama July 30th, 2013 09:37 AM

I would go with the Medela.

Daisee37 July 30th, 2013 09:45 AM

I had the Medela freestyle (the battery-operated one) and LOVED it (well, that's an overstatement... I hated pumping, but it wasn't because of the pump). But the pump worked really well for me. I loaned it to my SIL, who used it for a year, and it worked great for her too.

SierraWinter July 30th, 2013 09:50 AM

Since this is our first I dont have any experience....but based on the research we did and all my friends and family that have had babies the last two years, we're going with the Medela. Our insurance is covering most of the cost too.

cooper1414 July 30th, 2013 04:38 PM

I have a Medela PIS and loved it.

JeCaLe July 30th, 2013 05:16 PM

I also have a Medela PIS and loved it.

Druslady96 July 30th, 2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fludderbye (Post 27551157)
honestly i have never had much luck with pumps- seemed to me to be more of a PITA or boob in this case LOL

always heard medela is the best but $$ pricey

Well, it's free for me thanks to Obama's Affordable Care Act.... It's now required for insurance companies to cover as preventative care device. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweety_pie (Post 27551675)
I have never had one as I have never successfully breastfed yet, but I was wondering do you need a pump to breastfeed? Or can I go without one at all?

You don't need a pump to breast feed but I will likely be going back to work so I will have to pump and I want to have some in case I need to leave him with dad to run errands, etc earlier on. I wasn't successful with DD trying to breastfeed but I'm hoping to be more so with this one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraWinter (Post 27551937)
Since this is our first I dont have any experience....but based on the research we did and all my friends and family that have had babies the last two years, we're going with the Medela. Our insurance is covering most of the cost too.

That's great! I was so happy when my insurance told me that they cover 100% of it, no deductible or co-pay!

Druslady96 July 30th, 2013 09:41 PM

Thanks ladies! A couple of my friends suggested the Medela as well... but I'm still really curious about the technique of Dr. Brown... it seems like and from what I've read it's more comfortable with the compression portion. I was watching youtube videos and it looks like it mimics the baby's way of nursing too... But I'm so torn... I wish they would give me 2 free ones! LoL.

soul_donut July 31st, 2013 01:42 PM

When I did my research, I was between the Medela and the Ameda Truly Yours, and ended up choosing the Ameda. So, between the two you named, I'd say Medela would be my choice because between it made the final cut. It just happened that my insurance covered both of those - love that ACA!

Spyctre July 31st, 2013 07:46 PM

I had the Medela, and it worked well enough for me. When I tried to pump at work, I started to dry up, though. Not sure if I'm the best person to answer because pumping almost ruined my milk supply.

Sweetie, you don't have to pump to breastfeed. I would go for up to 5 hours during the day without needing to feed DD2, 8 at night. I could get all my shopping done or go on trips without stopping.