JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Baby has days and nights mixed up? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2677837-baby-has-days-and-nights-mixed-up.html)

Wanta.number2 September 9th, 2013 09:05 PM

Baby has days and nights mixed up?

Out of curiosity, any BTDT moms have a baby, still in utero, with their days and nights mixed up, and had the issue after they were born? Baby is generally quiet during the day, then its like a painful party in my belly at night, complete with kicks, elbow jabs, and hiccups, all at the same time.

jennyrae03 September 9th, 2013 09:24 PM

Re: Baby has days and nights mixed up?

Not BTDT, but I did ask my lamaze teacher and a few other people about this, and whether or not their activity in utero had any bearing on their activity once they were born - it seems that babies come out of the womb with no internal clock, and will have their days and nights mixed up regardless of their activity in the womb. They apparently just need time to adjust, and to figure out their schedule (with mommy and daddy's help, of course!).

Spyctre September 9th, 2013 09:49 PM

Babies sleep better when rocked or when they are moving. At night you are finally completely still so the lack of movement wakes them up. ;)

DD1 never woke me up whenI was pregnant. She was up every 2 hours after birth.

DD2 would sometimes wake me up when I was pregnant. She slept 8 hours strait after birth.

DD3 likes to wake up between 11 PM and 1 AM for a bit, but I don't notice anything other than that. We'll see what happens.

QL1516 September 9th, 2013 09:55 PM

SO swears there was a correlation with this and his older two, but that's only two examples. I'm hoping not because Kuato here has started being more active later.

jamieshalon2 September 10th, 2013 04:41 AM

Actually Sophia tends to sleep more at night when I am sleeping and be awake during the day when I am at work.

~Momma*2011~ September 10th, 2013 07:13 AM

When I was pregnant with DD she was awake while I was at work and slept most of the night. She came out and had her nights and days mixed up bad. She was up every hour throughout the night for the first 2 weeks. It was a struggle but once she figured out night time was for sleeping she got into a pretty good 4-6 hr sleep schedule.

This one I feel more during the night but like someone already posted it's probably because I'm not moving as much.

Aimee319 September 10th, 2013 07:46 AM

Hmmm... DS seemed to move equally through the day and night in utero, and he was up every 2 hours regardless. They sleep a lot in general when they are first born, so it wasn't like he was up all night and slept all day. He just slept and woke on a 24 hour cycle. This LO seems the same but has a definite dance party period around 10pm each night, haha. Which happens to be my usual bed time.

Arwen is right, they tend to wake up when you stop moving because your movements lull them. And they have no semblance of day or night at first, you have to help them with that.

east to west coast September 10th, 2013 08:19 AM

My DD didn't have her days and nights mixed up in the womb, and although she woke frequently to nurse for a looooooong time, she never had her days and nights mixed up after she was born either.

This baby shifts and wiggles after I get up to pee, but has never partied all night.

FishermansWife4 September 10th, 2013 08:28 AM

Like the other BTDT moms said, it'll take baby a while to get used to days and nights regardless of their schedule in the womb. There's lots to see and experience and they're just getting used to it all.

soul_donut September 10th, 2013 08:33 AM

Lemon's 4th trimester article kind of correlates to this - it seems like as long as you keep the baby moving and rocking when it's at this developmental stage, it'll feel rested and calm... So baby will be going nuts when you're sleeping! I must toss and turn enough to lull my baby boy ;) I don't have this issue (yet). I think that when the babies get here, the best we can do to get them to sleep more at night is to get them all full of milk, changed and comfortable and on a schedule at night to encourage them to start keeping daylight hours.

WorkerBeeMama September 10th, 2013 09:50 AM

I don't remember Sophia being mixed up in utero, but man, she definitely had her nights and days mixed up when she was born. Slept all day and was up ALL night. it was hard at first. Jane seems to be really active at night, but not in the middle of the night, so we shall see.

drewbears September 11th, 2013 02:35 PM

knock on wood I haven't had a problem with my babies having it mixed up. Though the 3 or 4 am insomnia usually seemed like the time I would have a wide awake baby for a bit after birth. :D