JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Tandem nursing! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2683402-tandem-nursing.html)

1fabulousfem October 4th, 2013 05:38 AM

Tandem nursing!

Anyone else here who is going to attempt this? LOL!
I picked up the book The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding and hope to start it today.
Can anyone who has done it give me some good advice?
TIA! :)

drewbears October 4th, 2013 06:42 AM

Re: Tandem nursing!

I tandem nursed my first 2. New baby obviously gets priority. Making sure new baby has established a good nursing habit and is getting your supply in order for new baby.

I hate to say it but my older one was kind of like the get the left overs. Once we were nursing well with new baby, I would actually nurse them together, I think it made for a strong bond between them.

MrsPea October 4th, 2013 06:57 AM

I know my mom nursed me and my older brother at the same time. He didn't like the colostrum so basically weaned himself to only night time nursing.

slmehaffey October 4th, 2013 07:00 AM

never done it... my kids are a little to far apart for it, though I probably could have with my first and second if I had kept going till he turned two... I just quit when he was one.

Lemon October 4th, 2013 08:25 AM

No experience with it, but I think you rock! :)

allysmomma October 4th, 2013 09:17 AM

I'm pretty sure Arwen does it, but not positive!!

1fabulousfem October 4th, 2013 09:21 AM

Thanks! LOL! I really hope Finn adjusts to sharing with his brother.
When it comes to boob juice he is super possessive! Bwahahaha...

soul_donut October 4th, 2013 09:38 AM

He'll learn about sharing early! LOL

Just think of the arm muscles you're going to build up with this tandem nursing!

joonzgurl October 4th, 2013 09:54 AM

I would have but decided to wean Avery around 20 months- she was down to once per day anyways.

Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

1fabulousfem October 4th, 2013 11:37 AM

...and the toned tummy! LOL! ;)
It took me a minute to decide to try tandem nursing because Finn is still young.
I really don't think now is the time to cut him off especially with the new baby coming and the fact that he is only 14 months old!

Spyctre October 4th, 2013 03:05 PM

I'm with Jenn. I don't nurse at the same time because Winter is so large, but she gets Lily's leftovers. :D She doesn't normally ask for it during the day. Calls them baa-baas. She nurses first thing in the morning since Lily sleeps the longest then. I would nurse her to sleep, but Lily likes to be on the boob at night.

1fabulousfem October 4th, 2013 03:25 PM

Heck, I don't know if I could do them both at the same time either. LOL!
Funny, Finn calls them the same thing.
He loves to nurse at night. He loves to nurse period. Hahaha!
On a more serious note, I'm not sure what he has been getting from me the past few months, so I've supplemented as well.
I hope he won't start rejecting solids once he sees my milk is back in full force!

Lotsakids October 5th, 2013 01:14 AM

No. We had to stop feeding at 13 weeks because of the SCH. I don't think I'd have the patience for it, & she's been off the breast for a long time now.

Goodluck with it though! A lot of women have really successful tandem feeding relationships :)

Aimee319 October 5th, 2013 05:57 AM

Good luck! I can't imagine it's easy. I stopped nursing DS at 25 months and that's the only way my AF would come back so I could pregnant with this one.

Spyctre October 5th, 2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fabulousfem (Post 27703463)
On a more serious note, I'm not sure what he has been getting from me the past few months, so I've supplemented as well.
I hope he won't start rejecting solids once he sees my milk is back in full force!

I think Winter Rose has been getting small amounts of colostrum, but I suspect at one point I dried up. She was 14+ months by then so I didn't bother to supplement. Just gave her milk. She looked really surprised the first time she nursed the other day and my milk let down. She was just using me as a paci, and all of the sudden her eyes got really big. lol