JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   What is with these toys?? OT (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2684245-what-these-toys-ot.html)

Wanta.number2 October 7th, 2013 10:19 PM

What is with these toys?? OT

Tell me if I'm wrong here...

I've been going completely overboard on Christmas like I usually do, and while shopping and checking out the big toys for this season, you would not believe the amount of toys they have out now where they either require an iPad or iPhone.

Now, my son is an extremely responsible 6 year old who takes great care of his toys, doesn't get into stuff he shouldn't, etc., but I'm not handing him a freakin' 500 dollar iPad. Ok, sure, maybe letting him use it every now and again when you're out and about or in a waiting room is one thing, but I just think its a bit ridiculous that these toy companies expect you to buy these products specifically for your 5 year to play with on your iPad.

SierraWinter October 7th, 2013 10:58 PM

Re: What is with these toys?? OT

Yikes thats nuts. I figure Natania will get her first iPad when she gets her first job.

ILoveStorm2011 October 8th, 2013 12:45 AM

Dh and I are strict on this - absolutely nothing expensive like that.
My brother and sister are 9 and 10 and they have old tablets (probably like 50$ types) which is fine; however, they don't play outside! I never see them outside playing or just playing in general really...at their age DH and I were either outside or inside playing games/barbies/puzzles...you know, using our imagination.
I also feel that by the time our lo's are 9 and 10 though that everything is going to change so much :( Like maybe there will be no more barbies, only virtual ones. lol

joonzgurl October 8th, 2013 06:03 AM

It's things like this that makes me fear the world my children will be growing up in!

Lemon October 8th, 2013 06:23 AM

We are getting the kids Kindle Fires for Christmas. They will be 4 and almost 8. Getting it for the 4 year old will keep the peace, by each kid having one.
There will be rules with them (just like tv, computer and video games in our house). The kids will be able to read books, listen to music and play some educational games on them. They will give them back to DH and I when their turn is over to keep them safe.
We think it's better than spending more $$ on a video game system they will outgrow quickly.

We all have our parenting things though. I'm against kids watching DVDs when they drive around town running errands. I make my kids grab a book or toy for that.

Sometimes we hand over our iPhones to the kids when we are out to dinner and want to talk as adults for 10 minutes. Sometimes we talk, color, etc with the kids. Just depends on the day and our patience level. :)

Also, DS' school has several iPads in every classroom. They are used for education and it's pretty cool!

drewbears October 8th, 2013 07:00 AM

My older kids have ipods, but I won't allow my almost 10 year old to have one yet. They do share mine from time to time. Especially the little girls, I keep them in my diaper bag and let them use them in the van to stay awake or something. but I would NOT go and buy them one.

soul_donut October 8th, 2013 07:24 AM

My dad used to sometimes buy me cool video games like sega, or break out his old video game systems (intellevision, atari, commodore 64 games) but would balance it with those wooden puzzle toys and other things like that. I also remember having a lot of book subscriptions, like I'd get a box of 6 Sweet Valley High books or Babysitter's Club, and my mom would take me once a week to get the max amount of books out of the library. I was one of those kids whose parents would say "GO OUTSIDE" and shut the door. Not that they had to force me, but that it was just a given that on a nice day I would be outside playing with my friends or exploring by the creek or playing sports or whatever it was that day. If I was really interested in quiet indoor things like reading or gameboy or something, i could still play with it at the playground, I suppose. I contrast that with kids that sit on their ipads watching tv shows like zombies that don't have a touch of color to their skin because their parents are afraid to let them go outside and play or they aren't really interested b/c of video activities. I just think everything in moderation. While I love reading, if I saw my kid was only reading non-stop and didn't want to go socialize, I'd say OK BUDDY time to go play with other children, no matter how good reading time is. As far as ipad related gifts go... they're really not my style. I wouldn't want to put 3 little tiny gifts under the tree, little stylus pens and small teensy tablet gifts. I want to get my kid a bike with a giant bow on it or a tent or a fun board game or something. Maybe get a box with holes in it and put a puppy in there, lol.

slmehaffey October 8th, 2013 07:15 PM

I don't have an ipad... ipod, i anything.. my phone is a basic phone with no smart qualities... I'm an internet addict and can't stand that I am so I try limiting my self a lot... my kids watch too much tv but that is because DH watches a lot of tv and to get away with it he watches kid shows lol.
I don't want my kids being exposed to too much screen time and it is hard to balance it. we do have a dvd player in the car but usually only use it on long road trips... I did use it today to go on a 30 min. drive just to get the kids to stop squealing though. Everyone has to parent the way they see fit to parent.... and that is all we can expect...
however from a different perspective I just can't see myself affording to buy a toy that requires an ipod or some other gadget just to be able to play with it.