JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   October 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/)
-   -   If you pump (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1918-october-2013-playroom/2689911-if-you-pump.html)

Lemon November 3rd, 2013 03:49 AM

If you pump

How many ounces does your baby take via bottle?

Little dude slept pretty good last night so I finally pumped this morning. :)

Rosiegirl7 November 3rd, 2013 04:01 AM

Re: If you pump

My guy is 4 weeks on Tuesday and he's eating about 4oz every feeding and eating every three hours. :)

Lemon November 3rd, 2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosiegirl7 (Post 27774694)
My guy is 4 weeks on Tuesday and he's eating about 4oz every feeding and eating every three hours. :)

Thank you! I pumped 3oz. I'll try and get another ounce today. :)

BelloFiglioLA November 3rd, 2013 08:01 AM

We are at 4 weeks and I am BF and usually pumping at night. He does anywhere from 3-5oz.

Seasaidh November 3rd, 2013 09:06 AM

Alasdair's starting to develop routines, I think - he has a couple really huge meals and a bunch of smaller ones. His meals range between 1 and 6 ounces. He tends to eat more from the bottle than the breast, I think. Anyway I end up pumping what's left after he nurses all day and then he'll eat everything I pumped right before bed. He's also been sleeping much better.

The key for me in pumping is to use breast massage/squeezing to maximize what I get out - the pump is less efficient than a baby for emptying the breast, so it helps keep supply up to assist the pump and empty the breast as much as possible. There have been times when I have pumped 8 oz in a sitting. :o

hopingthistime November 3rd, 2013 04:54 PM

What sort of pumping schedule do you use? Do you pump instead of feed or pump for a few minutes after feeding? I think I'm ready to have my husband start giving a bottle, but not sure how to start....

slmehaffey November 3rd, 2013 05:30 PM

I feel for any of you who have to use the pump! I plan to avoid it entirely this time.. I'm so happy that Micah is nursing well, after having never gotten my daughter to latch and pumping for 7 months last time I never want to touch a pump to my skin again!

Maenfayne November 3rd, 2013 07:33 PM

Considering the size of an infant's stomach, we only give Colton 2 oz at a time. He eats every 1-3 hours and mostly at the breast. Every now and then we have to give a bottle though. I've noticed that if we give him more than 2 oz he spits up much much more even with multiple burpings.

OH btw... there's a pumping board :) I'd love to see it come alive. Right now it's pretty quiet.

Lemon November 4th, 2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopingthistime (Post 27775578)
What sort of pumping schedule do you use? Do you pump instead of feed or pump for a few minutes after feeding? I think I'm ready to have my husband start giving a bottle, but not sure how to start....

With DD I would pump one side every morning after she ate. We used them for when I wanted to go out without the baby or at bedtime if DH wanted a turn.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do this time around. :)

hopingthistime November 4th, 2013 01:06 PM

Cool, thanks. I'll take a look at the pumping board, too.

ILoveStorm2011 November 4th, 2013 04:19 PM

I love the ability to have a bottle for long trips outside but dang it's annoying to clean this stuff!

We give anywhere between 2.5-4 oz. Sometimes she's good at 2.5 but sometimes I give her three and she flips out for that extra oz. :p

Oh and 4 oz will knock her out for a few hours ;)

1fabulousfem November 5th, 2013 04:25 AM

I plan to pump on occasion but we are still trying to establish a good milk supply here, so he's constantly on the breast (no paci or bottle) for now.
I am beat! LOL!